I honestly don't know what to eat..

Options
2»

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For 4 carbs and 3 protein. Either try two carbs (a potato and a bread) or try pasta dishes. I find it a little easier to eat a large serving of pasta than say, rice. If you have a wheat allergy, rice pasta is actually really yummy. Tomato sauce is a veggie. So throw some protein on a big plate of pasta with tomato sauce, and you're pretty much there.

Why is she having you eat so much carb instead of fat? It would be way easer to eat a few fats (i.e. olive oil and cheese) than to eat that many servings of a carb. Or is the fat thing your preference?
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot of different nutrition books. There is a lot of different diets to follow. Finally I found the Eat Clean Diet. I find what they offer works best for me. They have a great interactive website and meal plans. Yes, they even put together shopping list for you. This really helped when I first started out. Check out the following websites.
    www.eatcleandiet.com
    www.cleaneatingmag.com
    www.oxygenmag.com

Hope this helps you as much as it helped me. Everyone has to find what works best for them.

Bump
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    don't like eating all I eat and still feeling hungry so filling is good.

I'm not knocking filling food at all, but if you eat everything on your meal plan and are still hungry, all that means is that you need more food!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Lunch I usually have a huge salad or a sandwich. Sandwiches: Usually tuna, egg salad or lean meats from the deli on wheat; I usually have 2 fruits with that.

Salads: I have 2-3 cups of mixed greens, a pinch of bacon, a pinch of cheese, a few croutons, about 4oz of chicken with a low-fat dressing.

Dinners: I usually go on skinnytaste.com, cooking light, or look at "cook yourself thin" recipes to decide on a dinner recipe. I typically have a lean meat, a small carb and lots of veggies.

Snacks: Fruit, popcorn, almonds, smoothies, salads (if I didn't have it for lunch)

Good luck!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person above who said pick a protien, , cook it up, and build meals around it.
      Also, consider using beans for your starches. Black beans are great with some garlic over brown rice, chop up some chicken, lettuce onion and tomato and toss it together. Great on a wrap too! Red beans and white beans yummy in turkey chili, or white chicken chili, which are also super filling paired with whole grain rice or quinoa. Garbanzo beans are good on salads, also hummas is fantastic spread on a wrap instead of a condiment. My last offering, I love soups. Low sodium broth (or make your own stock) packed with veggies and a protein are always filling and low cal, high content options for me! My diary is open, so you can browse for other ideas. Enjoy and good luck!

Wow thanks for all this. I am definitely going to try the choose protein first idea. I am working on allowing myself to eat beans...I have a fear of the sodium in them though. Thanks for all these ideas on how to use them. I never thought of them on salad...so smart.

I think that's a great way to get started. If you want to try beans and control the sodium, try making them from scratch. It's easy, just requires some planning in advance for overnight soaking and setting up the slow cooker.

For my meal contribution, I like a mixed scramble for breakfast. An egg or two, scrambled, then add in any chopped and veggies you like, precooked if they need it. I'm usually happy with roasted asparagus, tomato, avocado and onion. I also like adding a little meat. About 1/4-1/2 link of chicken sausage, chopped, or an oz. of diced ham steak. Really good and really filling.
  • jenspradlin
    Options
    In response to the "Bump" comments: It's sad that people want to be negative about someone sharing something that helped them improve their lives in a positive way. I thought this was a community of helping others.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com! :) They have excellent recipe options sorted by meal, protein, etc. They'll all nutrition conscious and most are super tasty! I make a lot of the recipes for my picky fiance. :) Might I suggest the stuffed bell peppers!
  • oChristyo
    oChristyo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite very easy dinners is chicken cacciatore. Cut up a green and red bell pepper, Vidalia onion and mushrooms. Cut up some chicken breast. Out in all in a pan until cooked. Add a little jarred marinara sauce. So good! I serve it over Barilla plus pasta. :)
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who bases meals around protein. Salmon is great; maybe paired with brown rice and breadcrumbs on top to help incorporate starches, smoked on top of english muffins, grilled with breadcrumbs, in stir-fry with noodles.

Chicken; cooked and shredded in pasta with veggies, with mushroom sauce and rice, with potato wedges and veggies, baked in a tomato sauce.

Would it help to make a list of each category and go from there?
  • fitnessfanaticmom
    Options
    I too had an eating disorder as a teen and did not have much help learning how to cook healthy at home. We lived off of hamburger helper or taco bell (disgusting I know). Check with your nutritionist if these meet the specifics she wants you to do, but here are a few ideas from what I eat:
    BLT- using Ezekiel sprouted bread, turkey bacon, green leaf lettuce (not iceberg), and tomato with a side of fruit
    Turkey Tacos- No shells. https://www.facebook.com/notes/commit-to-get-fit/turkey-tacos/518921014786731

Taco Filling:

1 pound ground turkey meat1 cup finely chopped broccoli½ cup red bell pepper½ cup finely chopped squash½ cup finely chopped zuchinni, Garlic chopped or granulated (I prefer chopped)2 tbsp of olive oil (sometimes a little more)Taco Seasoning Mix, 1 can of Amy’s refried black beans (I usually use regular black beans rinsed & drained)

Garnish (all optional):
    Medium or Large Bag of Blue Corn Chips, Avocado, Tomato, Black Olives, Shredded Cheese (I usually skip), Greek Yogurt (in place of sour cream), Salsa

Directions:
    Preheat Oven at 250 degrees. (I skip this)

In one skillet, brown turkey meat and garlic in 1 tbsp of oil (sometimes it requires a little more to keep from sticking). In a separate skillet, cook veggies together in olive oil and a little more garlic. Cook until just tender. When meat has finished browning, drain some of the liquid and add the taco seasoning (just sprinkle enough on to fully season the pound of meat). I also add a little to the vegetables so it will soak in. Combine veggies with turkey and cook together, adding more taco seasoning, if you prefer it and turn down to a simmer.

While turkey and vegetables are simmering together, heat up Amy’s black beans in a pot on stove and put the blue corn chips on a cookie sheet (a handful per plate). Heat just long enough to warm the chips, about 5-10 minutes.

Get out bowl or plate, layer chips on bottom, then beans, turkey and then the rest of the garnish: avocado, tomato, black olives, cheese, yogurt and salsa.

**I skip the chips the majority of the time and add black beans (whole, not refried) in with the veggies & turkey then top with Fage greek yogurt (it's a great alternative to sour cream).

Like · · Share
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips posted so far....here are some very, very easy recipes. When you are learning to cook, it can be overwhelming, but don't worry - it gets easy quickly.

Easy spaghetti - {1 package of lean ground beef (usually about a pound), 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I use Prego Traditional 24 ounces), 1 jar of sliced mushrooms (optional - add if you like), 1 package of spaghetti noodles} Cook 1-2 servings of spaghetti noodles per the package directions. While waiting for pasta water to heat up. Brown your ground beef in a large sauce pan, add sauce, and mushrooms. You can freeze the unused sauce for a later date.

Easy Tuna salad - {1 five ounce can of tuna, 1-2 heaping spoonfuls of mayo, 2-3 spoonfuls of sweet salad cubes (you can find these next to the pickles in the grocery store)} Mix ingredients...eat with lettuce (I prefer green leaf), saltine crackers, or on bread. I will also sometimes add bread & butter pickles for extra sweet and/or a few dashes of cayenne pepper and paprika for heat.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Sad you are still struggling with this, and look to have deteriorated a lot since you were on my list well over a year ago.
    Hope you one day overcome, as it is a terrible waste of your life.