What is the best cardio to lose inches? (Hips)

Options
Hello! I've got a few questions...

I am wondering what would be the best cardio to do to lose inches, specifically on the hips/butt/thighs area?

I have an event coming up on June 27th and my dress is slightly too tight in that area. I would like to lose about 3 or more inches on my hips and thighs in order to feel great in the dress.

I own an elliptical but I've heard that you build muscle first before losing inches so ellipticalling would initially make thighs bigger? Is this a myth?

What is the best way for me to lose inches?
I know that strength + cardio is the best way, I am going to do 30 ds but what would be the best cardio?

Thanks for the help! :flowerforyou:

ETA: I have also heard that it is not possible to spot reduce, so if this is true for this circumstance then I am looking for a way to lose inches in general

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Lose fat, lose inches. You can't spot reduce and no amount of cardio will melt off specific fat areas.
  • ellgee119
    ellgee119 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My main question is what is the BEST cardio to lose inches. Not nececessarily wondering about spot reducing but more of whats the best way to lose inches in general.

Im asking this because Ive heard that swimming and elliptical build on your thighs before they reduce them, so I was curious if there are any other exercises to "avoid" for the time being since I am trying to lose inches in a short time frame.

I was going to start running and hiking more but does this do the same?
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Options
    Running will help you slim down all over. Have you tried HIIT or Insanity work outs? Those are all cardio and help you burn cals and fat. I don't like my hips at all but they seem to help. I rollerblade a lot in the summer and with a good diet dont seem to get bigger in the hips. Do you lift or do squats? That will help also but firming up your butt and hips.
  • Aneekap
    Aneekap Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me that cycling is the most effective way to lose weight in general.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Strength training is better if losing inches is your goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've found the most effective fat burn from strength training, HIIT, and Tabata workouts. I do some steady state cardio just for my general heart health, but I find the intensity of those other activities does more to move inches than anything else.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    My main question is what is the BEST cardio to lose inches. Not nececessarily wondering about spot reducing but more of whats the best way to lose inches in general.

Im asking this because Ive heard that swimming and elliptical build on your thighs before they reduce them, so I was curious if there are any other exercises to "avoid" for the time being since I am trying to lose inches in a short time frame.

I was going to start running and hiking more but does this do the same?
    ANY exercise will increase glycogen/water retention which means inch increase in the beginning. If you want to reduce WITHOUT hard exercise, then calorie deficit and walking (since it's just body weight and an everyday movement) LONG distances will help reduce body fat overall without any gain in lean muscle size (may in fact lose some lean muscle).
    And you did specify HIPS in your title, so Mokey41 wasn't telling you anything I wouldn't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yeah lifting will help you lose inches the best, specfically compound ones like squats, deadlifts, etc. Cardio won't get you results as fast as lifting (heavy) free weights will!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me that cycling is the most effective way to lose weight in general.
    It's not effective if one won't or doesn't care for it. The most effective exercise are the ones that someone will stick to for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    I'd vote for calorie deficit plus heavy strength training at least 3-4 days per week. If you want to add HIIT I'm a big fan of crossfit-style training. 3 inches in 30 days may be a bit optimistic if done the "right" way.

If your plan is to go right back to your same lifestyle at the end of 30 days and this is just a short-term goal, many of the "lose weight fast" diets out there will get you to lose inches quickly (Medifast is one I've seen really shed body weight quickly). The problem with those is that you tend to lose a bunch of muscle mass so when you stop them you quickly gain all of the weight back and more. I would not suggest this path.
  • julieager75
    julieager75 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Slim in 6 is an awesome workout. You can't spot reduce, but her emphasis is on the thigh and hip area. It's a ton of squats and lunges and in only 6 weeks I lost the most inches in the areas you are talking about.

Something cheaper/easier to get would be any Leslie Sansone Walk away the pounds videos. I've also had some awesome results with her 4 fast miles video.
  • ellgee119
    ellgee119 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the answers!
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    #1 Spin Cycle/Stationary Bike
    #2 Reverse Elliptical
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Running will help you slim down all over. Have you tried HIIT or Insanity work outs? Those are all cardio and help you burn cals and fat. I don't like my hips at all but they seem to help. I rollerblade a lot in the summer and with a good diet dont seem to get bigger in the hips. Do you lift or do squats? That will help also but firming up your butt and hips.

this!
  • jasminetoi
    jasminetoi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit and more protein to gain muscle..you will tighten up and lose inches. i suggest cardio then strength train 3 to 4 times a week. dont be afraid to lift! you will get results fast
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    [/quote]It's not effective if one won't or doesn't care for it. The most effective exercise are the ones that someone will stick to for life.

Completely agree!