Best ways to reduce blood pressure and stress?

Options
KatWood
KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
Hi everyone,

Life seems to be more stressfull than normal recently. And it is starting to take a toll on my body. My blood pressure is up and I am starting to get migraine and stomach aches. I have a physical next week and I am worried my doctor might put me on blood pressure medication. I am only 28 years old.

Any suggestions on what I could do to reduce stress and my blood pressure? I am going to cut back on my caffiene intake (which was only 1 cup of coffee per day) and alcohol intake. I will also monitor my salt intake but to be honest I don't think I consume that much salt and as a runner I know I can't reduce my sodium too much.

Are there any other changes I can make? I work out to reduce stress which definitly helps but it isn't enough.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Replies

• jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    Have you tried yoga?
    You could take a short break at work and meditate. Start out for 2 minutes each time, focused on something- the chair- and for 2 minutes, don't let any other ideas or thoughts in.. always come back to the chair. Breathe with your tummy, and let the stress melt away. It may seem silly, but the more often you do it, the faster your body and mind share the benefits!

I went off caffeine 'once' and did it by going half-decaf for a week or two and then completely decaf. Switching to tea may be a good option.

Good luck to you!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    First, one time of elevated bp isn't going to cause you to go on medication. It's a general/constant elevated bp over a longer time period that will bring up a medication need. If this is the first time it's up, then the doc will probably say "Hey chill out, let's see what it is next time." And you can keep checking your bp at the grocery store (they have those monitors for free usually by the pharmacy). Even if you've had elevated bp for a little while, the first step is usualy a diuretic.

So how to chill out? Relax! Deep breath, go to your happy place. That's what I've been told, but so much easier said than done. I take valerian root to help me - it's natural; been used since the Greeks. Massages are great (like hot stone).

Our lives are totally different now than when humans were first coming around. I've shifted my work schedule a bit so I dont have the stress of traffic.

Also, eating a lot of greens can help with your bp.

Good luck and don't let the doc scare you!
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Most especially prayer helps me! I put on some Spirit-driven music and just relax for a while, either on the couch or on the bed. If I am really wound up, I pray, just talk to God. That usually calms me.