Fruit makes my sugar allowance well over?

Options
Does anyone else have this problem?

How have you overcome it?

Thanks!

Replies

• bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lol if I eat a banana and multi grain cereal for breakfast it already uses my sugar for the entire day! I go over almost everyday on my sugar intake. I have just substituted some fruit for more veggies.
  • sethwdyer
    sethwdyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go for low glycemic load fruits. Berries are a good low sugar fruit.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I take the sugar column off of my diary. Fruit is high in sugar but it is natural sugar.

Eat all the fruit you want (providing you aren't diabetic or there is some other reason you shouldn't eat it) just stay within your daily calorie intake.
  • DIG_
    DIG_ Posts: 20
    Options
    Choose the right fruits. do your research on glucose vs fructose, as long as you eat the right fruits you should be okay, but there are many that can keep you from reaching certain goals. fruits are still a much better snack than other things containing sugar.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    dont even worry about it...eat all the fruit u can!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Do you have a medical condition that requires you to monitor sugar intake, such as diabetes or hypoglycemia? If not, sugar is just a carb. Stay within your carb allowance, stop tracking sugar separately, and enjoy.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that requires you to monitor sugar intake, such as diabetes or hypoglycemia? If not, sugar is just a carb. Stay within your carb allowance, stop tracking sugar separately, and enjoy.

Precisely
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Keep on eating fruit, preferably raw.

I do not track "sugar' on my MFP profile. I replaced it with something more important for me , like "sodium".

I do not eat processed sugar cane or sugar substitutes.

Good luck in your journey.
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am so glad for this post and all the answers. I am over everyday as well. I am definitely going to take it off my list too. I always go over because of some of my fruits in my Smoothies. I am trying to incorporate better fruit as well as more veggies. Thanks OP'r and all Replies.
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others....

I'm always over my sugar "allowance", but I'm eating healthy foods so I don't worry about it.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't count the difference between healthy sugars vs nonhealthy sugars. If you're going over from sugar, you're absolutely fine. Plus, MFP has the sugar amount set very low, so you really don't need to worry about it, calories is the ultimate factor. I stopped tracking my sugar because it was annoying seeing it always in the red, after breakfast alone.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't count my fruit sugars or carbs.

I worry more about sugars from cookies, cake, candy, drinks and other foods. Fruit is as natural as you can get.....

Apple vs cookie... the answer is obvious!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I prefer to blow past my sugar goal by eating ice cream. To each his own.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

I almost approve, except this still implies you HAVE a "sugar goal" :p
  • skitttlesrock
    skitttlesrock Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My trainer had told me to try not go over 35grams a sugar a day and the good fruit would be berries, pears, apples (3 oz) and have these as a secondary fruit, cantaloupe, melons,

stay away from bananas, grapes
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    My trainer had told me to try not go over 35grams a sugar a day and the good fruit would be berries, pears, apples (3 oz) and have these as a secondary fruit, cantaloupe, melons,

stay away from bananas, grapes
    What rationale was given?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I almost approve, except this still implies you HAVE a "sugar goal" :p

It's like protein. I treat it as a minimum.
  • axfisher83
    axfisher83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In Weight Watchers fruits and veggies are 0 points! I keep my sugar tracker on there for things like bread and pasta, but otherwise I follow the WW philosophy!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Choose the right fruits. do your research on glucose vs fructose, as long as you eat the right fruits you should be okay, but there are many that can keep you from reaching certain goals. fruits are still a much better snack than other things containing sugar.

lollerskates.jpg

Care to enlighten us which fruits can keep you from your goals and how they do so?
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to eat like 5-6 servings of fruit a day. I love fruit. Then I realized if I wanted to stay under my sugar goal I would have to limit my intake to maybe one piece a day. I did that for awhile and was miserable. Now I eat as much fruit as I want. I do have a rule for myself though- I must have a minimum of 1 to 1 vegetable to fruit ratio. If I have already had an apple and some strawberries, I need to eat two servings of vegetables before I can have my clementine or my peach. 1 to 1 ratio may not be ideal, but I used to eat no vegetables. I am a work in progress.

I do try and cut down on apples and bananas though. I don't think they're evil or anything, but they do pack a higher caloric punch than some other fruits. I can take or leave bananas so that is easy. I love apples though. I probably eat one every other day. I have strawberries and some kind of citrus fruit every day.