Recipe Ideas Please

drblythe
drblythe Posts: 163 Member
I've started a new eating plan as of this week, under the supervision of my PT. It lasts for 4 weeks and in those 4 weeks I have a strict list of foods I can consume. Basically if it's not on the list I cant eat it.

So far so good really, lots of grilled meats and salads etc but I'm trying to find a way to have meat with some kind of sauce (slow cooker meals, curries etc). I can see myself getting bored of grilled meats before the 4 weeks are up.

I have one recipe for a slow cooked pot roast that uses black coffee and water (things I'm allowed) as the 'stock' and it's great but I just thought I'd put a post up to see if anyone had any other Ideas or recipes for me to try.

Here are the foods I'm allowed:

Eggs
Read Meat
Chicken
Fish
(not fried, crumbed, or battered)

No Processed meats (that means no bacon! which is devastating)

Lactose free skim milk (which is gross :P so i'm only using it in foods like scrambled eggs and mashed sweet potato)
Water
Green Tea
Black Coffee

Most Fruits and Vege
(but no potato)

Garlic, Chilli, Pepper, curry power and other herbs= OK
No Salt, or pre made sauces.
Extra virgin oil is ok in small amounts for cooking.

I'm still aiming for under 1300 calories a day too.

I'm actually quite enjoying this plan and trying to come up with ways to make it interesting (I was quite please with my pot roast discovery) But if anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them!

Thanks!

Replies

• NebrGuy1969
    NebrGuy1969 Posts: 17 Member
    Just curious...did you set your calorie goal or did you PT? I'll start the war here and say that it sounds pretty low, but I'll add that it also depends on a lot of other factors like age, current weight, goal weight, and whether m or f. Hopefully your PT is a good one who is walking through all of these factors with you in addition to setting a workout plan to determine the correct calorie intake to accomplish your goal.

I rarely cook with sauces. I do miss them at times and if I try one often all I taste is the salt. I do use a lot of herbs and spices with my meat and usually will either grill or broil them. If grilling, toss in some wood chips to give it a little extra flavor.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    This is Paleo. Google paleo recipes.

I am starting to eat paleo as well, as a recommendation from my doctor to help with health issues, and doing lots of research.

Feel free to add me if you are looking for support!
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Just curious...did you set your calorie goal or did you PT? I'll start the war here and say that it sounds pretty low, but I'll add that it also depends on a lot of other factors like age, current weight, goal weight, and whether m or f. Hopefully your PT is a good one who is walking through all of these factors with you in addition to setting a workout plan to determine the correct calorie intake to accomplish your goal.

I rarely cook with sauces. I do miss them at times and if I try one often all I taste is the salt. I do use a lot of herbs and spices with my meat and usually will either grill or broil them. If grilling, toss in some wood chips to give it a little extra flavor.

The calorie intake varies from day to day based on the amount of training. I just put 1300 as its the lowest one (goes up to 1680 some days)

MFP normally has me on 1200 as I'm a 25 year old female with about 5-10 kgs to loose. So the PT is actually trying to slowly increase my intake.

But I understand your concern :) you see a lot of people starving themselves unnecessarily on here

And thanks jqh23 I didn't even think of Paleo! .... Mostly because I didn't know what it was :)
  • NebrGuy1969
    NebrGuy1969 Posts: 17 Member
    My sister loves paleo, but has found it difficult to fix because she is the only one in the house eating that way. I'd like to try it sometime.

I'm glad you are working to increase the numbers with your PT. I've never liked the way MFP calculates calories. I'm 43, male and 180-ish pounds. To maintain it was trying to tell me that I needed something around 1300 to 1400 calories. My trainer calculated the numbers and it came out to be 2x that amount. His calculation seems to be closer to reality than MFP's.