Plus Size Modeling

Options
I need advice, i want to try but im so unsure what i should do and where i should start!! (: Help Please!

Replies

• d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Email Abercrombie and Fitch
  • SienaJoelle
    SienaJoelle Posts: 55
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest trying plus sized modeling... It encourages the idea of being large... Eventually it will really attack your health and you are going to regret letting yourself stay large so long.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Disagree Siena - "plus size" models aren't necessarily all that big, just bigger than the teeny weeny regular models. The ones I've seen generally look pretty healthy - some maybe a touch overweight, but certainly not obese.

Kitten, maybe try Model Mayhem, or research if any modelling/talent agencies specialize in plus size models?
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The girls who are plus s I've models are not that large, they are just curvy. They are certainly " making it ok to be fat " .
    You could say the same thing about the usual size models....
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    *certainly NOT
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    To start: How tall are you?
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Email Abercrombie and Fitch

for the win
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Plus size models = healthy body weight MOST of the time.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest trying plus sized modeling... It encourages the idea of being large... Eventually it will really attack your health and you are going to regret letting yourself stay large so long.

Dude, that's just... wrong. I'M a plus size model, because I am a model who wears a UK size 12 (US size 8) therefore my figure is in the plus size category. I weigh 155lbs and I'm 5'8". I'm perfectly healthy, fit, exercise often and eat well.

Girl, if you think you've got what it takes to stand up to the modelling industry, go for it. It takes guts and it takes a heck of a strength of character, though. It ain't easy. I've been a model for the past couple of years and it's damned hard.

Edit* To be a plus sized model you must be at least 5'8". Some places will take on girls who are 5'7" but rarely. Minimum dress size is a UK12, but to most people plus sized is a UK14 and over.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I was a teensy regular model in my teens and twenties. Find out which are the reputable agencies in NYC, and contact them. Most agencies have an open call time slot, where new girls can walk in off the street (i.e. Wednesday mornings, 9 o'clock). Otherwise you can send snapshots and stats.

A reputable agency will not want to charge you any money. They will send you to beginning photographers who need models to test for their own portfolios. In this case neither the photographer nor model charges for their services, but you might need to pay external costs, such as for prints.

In my experience in the normal modelling market, agencies are only interested in new girls who are still in their teens. Lifespaan for a career is too short for them to invest their time and energy promoting older girls.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    To start: How tall are you?

This, because plus sized models still have to fit into the fashion world and it'd help to be on the taller side.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Did you bother to even look at her photos before saying she would regret letting herself stay large? She looks pretty healthy to me and beautiful. I wish I had some advice that could help her out.

Sample clothing for plus sized models is a SIZE 8. Unlike a 0 for a runway model. My 14 year old is 5'7" and only weighs 105lbs and she is bigger than a size 0 now (THANK GOD!!)
  • Kittenkelli22
    Options
    Im 5 9 and a size 14. ive been looking into heffner management in seattle, they represent a few amazing plus size models that i really look up to.

Im just wondering how much does it cost to start modeling? i have a friend who just dished out well over 2000 to modeling classes from John Casablana? i can not afford that, are things like that required?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Wow. Brainwashed by media much
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Someone doesn't know anything about what plus sized models actually look like.
  • Kittenkelli22
    Options

Im very happy in my skin, and im actually extremely healthy, alot healthier than the stick models that starve themselves (: i think you should read up a little on what a plus size model is: in the modeling industry size 6 women can be considered plus size, which is insane. so please before you say that being curvy and plus size is unhealthy research it.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Dude check out Torrid, they have a lot of plus sized model searches. I wanted to enter once but apparently I'm too short lol. Good luck. You're beautiful!
  • Kittenkelli22
    Options
    Thank You, && I Will!
  • lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Every year Torrid- a plus size store- has a modelling contest. I bet if you google it or live near a store you could find out.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Im very happy in my skin, and im actually extremely healthy, alot healthier than the stick models that starve themselves (: i think you should read up a little on what a plus size model is: in the modeling industry size 6 women can be considered plus size, which is insane. so please before you say that being curvy and plus size is unhealthy research it.

Then why are you here saying you have 48 pounds to lose?