am I doing this right?

Options
I'm trying to lose weight (aren't we all?!). I'm not looking to lose a substantial amount, only 5-10lbs. I go to the gym six times a week and my workout varies from 30 minutes of cardio to 50 minutes of cardio. It all depends how fast I get ready in the morning as I work at 8am.

My cardio routine varies. I am doing C25K, I am currently on week 2 and tomorrow will be day 3. I like to space it out, so for instance this week I "ran" Monday, Wednesday, and will Friday. I go on the elliptical and any other machine that might be available.

Is this the right way to go to lose weight? I want to tone up eventually.. should I add in strength training? And if so, how often do I do that a week?

Replies

• ljm0104
    ljm0104 Posts: 42
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week and I lift weights after my cardio MWF. What may work for one person might not work for you. I had to do trial and error you just have to try to find what works and feels right for you. Good Luck!
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: Yes you are doing it pretty much right, but on your off days of not doing cardio do the strength training and it will boost up your weight loss and do the toning you need! :smile:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I agree. What works for one may not work for another. Sounds like you have a great workout regimine. Strength training is good for toning. You should space it out every other day though, The way muscle builds is it actually tears. Then it needs to heal. This is what the day after strength training is for. Then you do it again the following day. And so on and so forth.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    from past experience it doesnt matter how hard you work out if your "nutrition" is not on you wont lose as fast. So make sure that is in check. Diet is the key for me losing weight! And yes, I think you should add strength training now 3 days a wk. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn.
    Good luck!
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm on my last 5 lbs as well and let me tell you those last 5 are the hardest EVER! I do cardio and weights. You should really incorporate the weights. Also, with that little to lose your food has to be on point! That's what really makes the difference. It's taken me forever just to lose 3 out of the 8lbs I started with (5 weeks) and my food is pretty much on track. Maybe it'll be easier for you. You can do it! Good luck!

Christy
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You're mastering the cardio part for sure!! Now adding weights 3-4 times per week would help out for sure with quicker weight loss. Also, you might want to shock your body by running first thing in the AM (if you're not already) on an empty stomach. You may want to vary it by one morning running for 25 min, another for 20 and another for 30. That way it keeps your body guessing. Here's an example of my weight training at the present time:

Day 1: Bicep (hammer curls 2x12 reps; 2x12 cable curls; 2x12 preacher curls)
    Chest (incline DB press 2x12reps; Push ups with feet on Stability ball 2x12 reps; Pec Deck 2x12; Cable Crossovers 2x12 reps)
    Cardio and Abs at least 3 different ab exercises each 3 x to fatigue

Day 2:
    Cardio

Day 3:
    Quads (Smith Machine 3x10 resp; Leg Press 3x20 with low weight; Walking Lunges 3x8 reps; Leg Extensions 3x 8 slow {pause half and at top, then pause halfway down repeat} then 8 fast reps)
    Glutes (Plier squats 3x20; Bulgarian lunges 3x10; Sumo squats 3x10)
    Cardio & Abs

Day 4:
    Cardio

Day 5:
    Back (T-bar 3x12reps; seated row 3x12; Pull downs in front 3x12; DB Row 3x12)
    Triceps (Push downs 2x12; Tricep Press or Dips 2x12; Kickbacks 2x12)
    Calves (Standing calf raises 2x12, seated calf raises 2x12)
    Cardio & Abs

Day 6: DAY OFF

Day 7:
    Shoulders (Shoulder Press 3x12; Side raises 3x12; rear pec deck 3x12; front lateral raises 3x12)
    Hamstrings (Deadlifts 3x12; Leg Curls 3x12; Hamstring Mega Blaster with stability ball 3x12)
    Cardio

When you're doing reps, only wait 30 seconds in between this way you are doing cardio at the same time as weights thus burning more calories.

Try it out!! I am sure you'll see results!!! :) In 7 weeks I lost 6 pounds and 7 inches total... I have a few pounds to go, but only want to lose 10-15... Let me know how you make out!

Also, you may want to look up Brad King... He's a Guru in weight loss and how important it's to combine cardio and weights :)
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    You should add in resistance training from the beginning. A lot of women do it backwards cardio then resistance training, you should do both at the same time. I do 3 days a week of training (taking a rest day from training in between)and 6 days a week of cardio. Resistance training is a very effective way to lose weight, and once your body fat % is down enough you will be toned. :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You should add in resistance training from the beginning. A lot of women do it backwards cardio then resistance training, you should do both at the same time. I do 3 days a week of training (taking a rest day from training in between)and 6 days a week of cardio. Resistance training is a very effective way to lose weight, and once your body fat % is down enough you will be toned. :)

Agreed!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone! I'm going to try what everyone mentioned and see what works best for me. I don't think I'd be able to run on an empty stomach though.. I definitely need food before I exercise or else I feel really faint.