Plus Size Modeling

Options

Replies

• Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest trying plus sized modeling... It encourages the idea of being large... Eventually it will really attack your health and you are going to regret letting yourself stay large so long.

and most "regular" modeling encourages the idea of being sickly thin.
  • Kittenkelli22
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest trying plus sized modeling... It encourages the idea of being large... Eventually it will really attack your health and you are going to regret letting yourself stay large so long.

Im very happy in my skin, and im actually extremely healthy, alot healthier than the stick models that starve themselves (: i think you should read up a little on what a plus size model is: in the modeling industry size 6 women can be considered plus size, which is insane. so please before you say that being curvy and plus size is unhealthy research it.

Then why are you here saying you have 48 pounds to lose?

I went on depo and gained around 30 pounds in over a year, so when i started on this website my view of myself was extremely low, now that ive started losing weight i see that im beautiful just the way i am, it took me awhile but im finally happy with who i am, and the body i have.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Im very happy in my skin, and im actually extremely healthy, alot healthier than the stick models that starve themselves (: i think you should read up a little on what a plus size model is: in the modeling industry size 6 women can be considered plus size, which is insane. so please before you say that being curvy and plus size is unhealthy research it.

I went on depo and gained around 30 pounds in over a year, so when i started on this website my view of myself was extremely low, now that ive started losing weight i see that im beautiful just the way i am, it took me awhile but im finally happy with who i am, and the body i have.

Here here! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Torrid!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

That's the best thing I've read here today
    tumblr_mesp1c7nz11rp5cv0o1_500.gif
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

and you are GORGEOUS! Best of luck with the modeling!!!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the Torrid Model search:

http://community.torrid.com/divaspirit/Model_For_Torrid.asp

Good luck :wink:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Did you know that a size 6 is technically plus size in the "regular" model world? There's nothing healthy or normal about most "regular" models...to me a size 0 is unnatural unless you're very short or extremely petite.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    As with any modeling, it's best to seek agencies.

Otherwise you could try smaller brands that are looking for models. I know that sometimes sites like PinUp Girl take applications through social media.
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options
    plus size models are usually in the size 8-14 range, aka, not really even plus size. they generally look for an hourglass figure (bigger boobs and hips) while still having a flat tummy.

basically plus size modeling is all bull****, but that's just me. i want to see REAL fat women modeling the clothes i buy. maybe someday!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I need advice, i want to try but im so unsure what i should do and where i should start!! (: Help Please!

All modelling is a hard nut to crack. You need ot find a reputable agency to rep you and then start your portfolio.

You look like you have a young fresh face.

Wish you all the best!
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have heard that what the fashion industry considers a "plus size model" is a US 8 or 10. In my book I consider this average weight.
  • that_Va_chick
    that_Va_chick Posts: 112
    Options
    bump
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options

SO what you are saying is I should starve myself to reach an unrealistic weight based on the runway models that the ads & high fashion portray??? :noway:
    Pshhhhhh!!!

You don’t have to be unhealthy to be plus size!!! She didn’t say she wanted to pack on the pounds to become plus size! Believe it or not there is a fairly large industry for plus size modeling!

Oh my some of the stupid crap people say on here!!! :explode:
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

SO what you are saying is I should starve myself to reach an unrealistic weight based on the runway models that the ads & high fashion portray??? :noway:
    Pshhhhhh!!!

You don’t have to be unhealthy to be plus size!!! She didn’t say she wanted to pack on the pounds to become plus size! Believe it or not there is a fairly large industry for plus size modeling!

Oh my some of the stupid crap people say on here!!! :explode:

Take it with a grain of salt, and look who it is coming from.
    She is an 18 year old who is upset about her own weight, and wanting to lose 100 lbs. Chances are she is regretting getting to the size where she is.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have always enjoyed it in Canada your considered a plus size model at a size 8-12, i do not feel it promotes being over weight it should be seen as a way to help you feel better about your self. I often model for my friend as a plus size model and it has boosted my self confidence, so if your going to do it do it for you if it makes you happy then continue with it. My friend has always had me model for him for his portfolio even when I went from a size 10 to 18 looking at the photos I seen when I got bigger and I still seen my self as beautiful but eventually I did decide to lose the weight. I have always appreciated my friend helping me build my confidence and making me feel good no matter my size.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Disagree Siena - "plus size" models aren't necessarily all that big, just bigger than the teeny weeny regular models. The ones I've seen generally look pretty healthy - some maybe a touch overweight, but certainly not obese.

Kitten, maybe try Model Mayhem, or research if any modelling/talent agencies specialize in plus size models?

Agreed. Most plus sized models I've seen are basically a size 10-12.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Im 5 9 and a size 14. ive been looking into heffner management in seattle, they represent a few amazing plus size models that i really look up to.

Im just wondering how much does it cost to start modeling? i have a friend who just dished out well over 2000 to modeling classes from John Casablana? i can not afford that, are things like that required?

John C.. Is a scam. my dad used to work for a marketing company(and they would run adds for them) , they will take anybody's money, regardless if they have a shot or not ... It's just a scam. Don't go through them, you will get no where fast!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    I was a teensy regular model in my teens and twenties. Any reputable agency doesn't ask money from their models. They jmake money by taking 20% off their earnings.

When a girl is just starting out and trying to build a portfolio, and doesn't have tear sheets yet (photos torn from magazines) they will send her out to go-see a stable of test photographers. These are beginning fashion photographers vetted by the agency who are trying to build their own portfolios. Go-sees are auditions, essentially.

If an "agency" asks for money from a girl, it is a scam. The portfolio is likely to be useless because the quality of photos will be poor, or the girl didn't have enough potential to begin with.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump