NSV: ran my very first half marathon

Options
squirrell79
squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
I finished my first half marathon this past Sunday in Olympia, WA. It was lots of fun. The weather was perfect--low to mid 50s the whole time. The course had some hills (ugh) but also some beautiful views of the water. At one point, there was even a family sitting at the curb playing guitar and singing "Eye of the Tiger" to us (yes, that's Olympia!).

My publicly stated goal was to finish. My secret goal was to do it in 2:30. I almost made it--chip time was 2:34:06. The last few miles were hilly, and I do know that at that point, it was my mind that was giving out on me, not my legs. I took a few 30 second walk breaks; looking back, I know I could've toughed it out, but I was so tired that I didn't.

Overall, it was a great experience, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Replies

• Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! You did it! Congratulations! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I run halves and fulls and there is no better experience then crossing the finish line.. again, congrats!!
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    Way to go! You did an excellent job --- I hate hills too!
    I'm hoping to run a half sometime in the next year.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am so amazed. I still can't get beyond the 3 mile mark. My body just doesn't let me. I don't know how you do it!
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Such a great feeling to cross that finish line and know you worked hard and accomplished a goal. You will definitely shave off those pesky 4 minutes in your next one. :wink:

Great job!! Congrats again!!:happy:
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! :-)

And Joan, I couldn't imagine running 6, let alone 13, miles 6 months ago. You'll reach your goal, whatever it is, bit by bit. Slow and steady wins the race!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!