Weighing food..

Options
This is probably a silly question.. but, do you weigh meats/chicken/etc. before, or after they are cooked to get accurate oz's?

Replies

• looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do cooked
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    Nah, I usually just go by what it says on the package. For example, the chicken breasts I buy are, according to the package, 4 oz each. I trust what the package says. If it's +/- an ounce, I'm not worried about it.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Before.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Before, unless it is the data bank as cooked, like chicken breast without skin for instance
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    there are entries for both.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    before. The weight/calorie information on the package is the raw weight. Cooking dehyrates/removed the water content so the weight will decrease after it is cooked.

Also for veggies, pasta, rice, anything that you cook by steaming, boiling adding water the weight will increase due to water absorption. So weigh it before otherwise you'll be over estimating (cooking with water does not add calories).
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I weigh meats cooked. That way if I don't finish it I can weigh what's left and make adjustments to my food journal.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    For meat with bone in it, this is what I do:

Right before I eat, I put my plate (with food on it) on my scale and record the weight.

After I'm done eating, with leftover bones on the plate, I weigh again. Then I subtract the second weight from the first, and I have an accurate measure of the meat I consumed. Then just find the closest cooked meat entry, and voila!
  • faedreamer1
    faedreamer1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nah, I usually just go by what it says on the package. For example, the chicken breasts I buy are, according to the package, 4 oz each. I trust what the package says. If it's +/- an ounce, I'm not worried about it.

This. It helps that I almost always buy boneless meats (steaks, chicken, pork chops etc) so I don't have to account for the bone weight.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    ...bone weight.

can't. stop. giggling.
  • sandrajc042883
    Options

This is what I had been doing, but wasn't sure if it's entirely accurate.
    Thank you :)
  • rhogr000
    Options

It may be, or it may not be. All I can say is I've had no problems losing weight and I certainly DON'T weigh everything I eat (I do, however, practice portion control with measuring cups). +/- an ounce or two isn't gonna matter at all.

In addition, you can also use the "Rule of the Palm" i.e. a single serving of meat (4 oz) should be about the size of your palm, so if you can palm it, you can eat it.
  • faedreamer1
    faedreamer1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ...bone weight.

can't. stop. giggling.

LOL
  • sandrajc042883
    Options

It may be, or it may not be. All I can say is I've had no problems losing weight and I certainly DON'T weigh everything I eat (I do, however, practice portion control with measuring cups). +/- an ounce or two isn't gonna matter at all.

In addition, you can also use the "Rule of the Palm" i.e. a single serving of meat (4 oz) should be about the size of your palm, so if you can palm it, you can eat it.

Well, it's working so far, and I really haven't been weighing food, just guessing oz's. I'd measure out the foods I could, but meats I never did.. just went off what was on the package.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is probably a silly question.. but, do you weigh meats/chicken/etc. before, or after they are cooked to get accurate oz's?

always measure before you cook
  • trogalicious
    Options

Well, it's working so far, and I really haven't been weighing food, just guessing oz's. I'd measure out the foods I could, but meats I never did.. just went off what was on the package.

I'd at least estimate. Palm = 4oz, etc.

I DO really love my food scale though.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I weigh after.. handling raw meat grosses me out enough :-)
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat after it's cooked.
  • sandrajc042883
    Options

I just bought a food scale this morning, and am going to start using it.. keep me more accountable/on track.. That's why I was asking. :smile:
  • rhogr000
    Options

I have a food scale as well, but I haven't really ever used it. It's just much simpler for me to go by what the package says. However, I can't do this for everything so that's why I have measuring cups for things like milk and cereal.