Weighted Hula Hoop

Options
I saw one the other day when I was shopping and it looked intriguing.
Has anyone tried one?
Did you like it?

Replies

• pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm a hooper and I LOVE it! I got a weighted hoop when I started out but quickly changed my mind and bought a 38" dance-style hula hoop from Etsy, it is different than the hoops marketing for "fitness" but I like it a lot better, it allows me to do a lot of different types of moves and really dance around with the hoop rather than just spinning it around my waist. If you go on youtube, look up some 'hoop dance' videos, and if that is the kind of thing you are interested in learning, definitely do a little research before you buy (or make!!) your hoop, hooping.org is a great resource.

The fitness ones can be an easy way to burn some calories (and a fun way to do so while watching TV) but if you want to learn other stuff you will quickly be wanting something just a little lighter and easier to move around with/spin on your hands and arms, etc.

Anyway I hoop about 20 minutes or more a day, just rocking to my tunes in the backyard and it's a great workout and stress reliever, and has increased the strength in my core and arms a lot. I love it!!! :-)
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hooping is so fun, I recommend it! And definitely check out hoop videos on youtube :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    My daughter bought one. It restored my ego after I failed miserably at trying to get a kids-type hula hoop to stay up.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Oooh I want one - used to love hula hoop when I was a kid - on the list with the skipping rope and weights :smile:
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Making one of your own hoops costs just a few bucks. Get PVC pipe and connectors from Home Depot (in the plumbing section). You can use the 3/4 inch pipe or for a heavier hoop the 1 inch piping. I like the big hoops which take about 5-6 feet of piping. Wrap with colored electrical tape and it's fancy. I've used both water or rocks to weight mine. It's an awesome workout and a lot of fun!

And as an aside, this is a terrific activity for kids' parties. They have a great time making them and get to take home a cool party favor.
  • philohagen
    philohagen Posts: 7
    Options
    Weighted hoops are good for building core strength, but unfortunately that's about it. Most come with warning labels not to use them for more then tin minutes a day cause it's a lot of weight to be hitting our sensitive insides repeatedly. They can also cause bruising which isn't so attractive. So I'm with going with an adult sized dance hoop. It's what I use to lose weight with and I tend to hoop for a lot longer with it because I'm having fun and you can do a whole lot more than just waist hoop with it too. Hooping is my primary exercise program for about 30 minutes a day or more most days and the American Council on Exercise says you can burn 210 calories in half an hour, which puts it up there with a boot camp workout, only it's a lot lower impact and a hell of a lot more fun. :)
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Dammit I bought a weighted one and it hurts!! Think i'm gonna have to switch to a lighter one soon cos I can't do this one for more then a couple of minutes, though it stays up well. Oh well live and learn!
  • LindseyLinea
    LindseyLinea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also bought a weighted one. Mine is 2.5 lbs. But I did order a lighter one (hasn't arrived yet) because I too started to get interested in hoop dancing. I ordered my new one from Hoopmamas off etsy. Cheap too. But you can practice on the weighted one until you get a lighter one. I don't do it long and mostly just around my waist but I have learned a couple tricks with it too. The weighted one will hurt at first. Just start out at like 2 -3 minutes. And let your body get use to it. But I would recommend ordering a new lighter dance hoop. I have only been doing it about 3 weeks but already love Hooping!
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    Been hoopdancing for 4 years. Weighted hoops can cause bruising and you really really shouldn't hoop on bruises. (I have a 42 inch body rocker hoop that I love and still play with, but I also have several smaller/lighter hula hoops that I play with too.)
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    That was just on the local news here the other day ... There's a hooping class actually and I would totally do it. Looks like A LOT of fun and a great workout.
    I might buy myself a hoop and have fun with it. It would be a nice change from walking and the stationary bike.
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've only been hooping for 3-4 weeks and I love it!! I have a weighted hoop, but just ordered a lighter one for the reasons stated above. I'm starting to get bored with just waist hooping and want to broaden my hooping horizons! I've lost 10 pounds in the past 3 weeks or so just by sticking to the caloric intake mfp gives me and hooping. I do put on MFP that I hoop for less minutes than I really do just because I don't want to OVER estimate what I'm burning. I also just ordered a heart rate monitor to make sure I'm really burning the insane amount of calories a few websites estimated I'd burn from hooping.
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I've only been hooping for 3-4 weeks and I love it!! I have a weighted hoop, but just ordered a lighter one for the reasons stated above. I'm starting to get bored with just waist hooping and want to broaden my hooping horizons! I've lost 10 pounds in the past 3 weeks or so just by sticking to the caloric intake mfp gives me and hooping. I do put on MFP that I hoop for less minutes than I really do just because I don't want to OVER estimate what I'm burning. I also just ordered a heart rate monitor to make sure I'm really burning the insane amount of calories a few websites estimated I'd burn from hooping.

Let me know how the heart rate monitor works. I like practicing chest hooping and I don't want to mess up the HRM.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yep, tried it and loved it. That being said, if you are new to it, you will most likely become pretty sore in that area when you use it and may bruise. Other than that, great workout.