No time workout...?

FunkBunny
FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Let's say you are pressed for time...but you don't want to skip a work out...does it count for calories burned if you do say 10 minutes on an elliptical with the resistance really cranked? I don't have a HRM, I know getting one is the most accurate way to know this...but I don't have one and don't want one, but according to the machine, the higher the resistance the faster the calorie burn.
So, would this work in a pinch to reach calories burned for a day?

Replies

• apehead1
    apehead1 Posts: 87 Member
    That's a great question I would like to know the answer as well.
  • As always, there are different studies that say different things. The newest studies say the intensity is enough. Here is an article for you.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/a/10minute.htm
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    At maximum intensity I have been able to burn about 100 calories on my elliptical. I have been doing that when pressed for time for extra calorie burn this past week. I maintained my weight on vacay and just weighed .5 less this morning :happy:
  • i ready that small bursts of exercise over the course of the day is just as effective as one long workout. I like to use the videos that break the workout into 10 minute increments. Right now my favorite is "Biggest Loser 30 Day Jumpstart". It's separated into 2 levels of 10 minute cardio, upper body, lower body, and abs. :flowerforyou:
  • honestly it sounds like a way to hurt yourself, I'm sure you will burn calories, but with the resistance "cranked" what are the chances of injury?
    if you do multiple small workouts like this, it adds up, try ten minutes in the morning ten minutes at lunch and ten minutes in the evening. What is that? 30 minutes...You got your work out in...
    and you dont always have to hit the eliptical(sp?)hit the pavement, go for a walk...

Just my opinion...
  • FunkBunny
    Thanks for the article, that was great and what I was thinking, too.

BigPhatDaddy...I know what you mean, but I already use the elliptical regualrly, so i wouldn't suggest a person new to it to jump in with both feet and really strain. i'd just be pushing myself harder than I would for my ergular workout, just for a shorter period of time. I wouldn't even put it to the highest setting, just a few steps up to wher I can still do it, but it's more of a push for me.
    I already do the 5 or 10 minutes walks all through the day (especially while I'm at work...it's a plant, so I go out and walk my entire area and get a decent sweat going in a short period of time). Those are just hard to track as cardio.

JustJudy...great job! Very hard to maintain on vacation! Let alone lose!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    A HRM (I know you said you don't want one ) is great for this I do my hour of whatever workout I am doing, then walk the dogs, and then at night do another 45 minutes of walking at night...it all adds up.....The only thing is that I have noticed is that the longer my workout goes the more calories I start to burn in a given time...So when doing short workouts say 20 minutes it isn't half the calories of a 40 minute workout.....Anything is better then nothing though.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    What that article is essentially saying is that, yes, it is more beneficial to do short burst of workout than to do nothing. Of course it is. And if that is honestly all the time you can fit into your day, I don't think anyone in their right mind will tell you "no, just skip it." That being said, this is for calorie burn, not for cardiovascular health. Yes, losing wieght will help your heart, but short 10 minute anaerobic workouts will not work your cadriovascular system like a sustained 30-60 minute aerobic workout will.
    So, go for it, just know what type of workout you are getting :) And good job for not saying "well, I just don't have time."
  • FunkBunny
    A HRM (I know you said you don't want one ) is great for this I do my hour of whatever workout I am doing, then walk the dogs, and then at night do another 45 minutes of walking at night...it all adds up.....The only thing is that I have noticed is that the longer my workout goes the more calories I start to burn in a given time...So when doing short workouts say 20 minutes it isn't half the calories of a 40 minute workout.....Anything is better then nothing though.

My HRM resistance is just my feeble attempt to fight technology! Kidding,. of course, just don't have the $ on hand to buy a monitor that I don't know if I would use all the time or not. Although I would like to get one. There are certain things I'd love to see how many calories are burned...You know, those short (often times too short) bursts of heart pounding activities. :blushing:

I hear what you're saying about the total calorie burn though...it's interesting.
This discussion has been closed.