New Group: MFP Polynesians - People of the Pacific

Options
I couldn't find any support group for people of the South Pacific so I decided to start one.

We have some of the biggest people in the world and the lack of nutrition knowledge as well as unhealthy food choices seem to go hand in hand with daily life. We live very sedentary lives and combined with our "laid back" attitude begets laziness for anything that exerts much energy. This is something we can change, one person at a time.

It's encouraging to see the younger generation are being health conscious and are eating well and working out. Some of us overseas are getting there, with a bit more motivation and encouragement - the sky's the limit.

I'm hoping this group can bring about like minded individuals who are open to learning new information and are not shy about sharing their success stories about nutrition and exercise. Let's motivate, inspire, and support each other in a positive environment.

All are welcome to join!

Replies

• eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    if there's any tags I've missed please let me know! Also looking for moderators :)
  • MissCeeDubb
    Options
    Hi, Im keen to join this group :)
    Im a Niuean/Cook Islander living in New Zealand and have been struggling with weight issues, especially after having my 4th child in 2011.
    My fitness pal has been awesome motivation.
    I have been a member since 2010 and have been on and off but now that i have the app on my phone it has helped me much more to be able to keep track of my progress. Back on the wagon this week and i intend on staying on it :)
    So far I have seen a big difference since changing my eatting habits (again lol)
    Like thay say "IT STARTS IN THE KITCHEN"
    I havent incorporated the gym yet but that will be next week.
    I thought id start with my diet first since that is the hardest part.
    I have bought me a Nicer Dicer and that has made making salads soooo much easier.
    I reccomend buying one of these :)
  • eag264
    Options
    Hi hun, welcome!
    We all seem to be in the same boat. I recently started actively logging on MFP just a few months ago but had the app on my phone for 2 years lol. The answer was right under my nose! But that's what's great about MFP- you go at your own pace and just having the right people around to motivate you goes a long way on your weight loss journey.

They say that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Other's might argue otherwise lol. It's great once you get to the gym next week, and if you want to prep yourself before then, join the 30 day squats challenge with me :)

I do this at home or anywhere. Every day I do intervals of 25 squats 4 times a day. Just do it at your own pace and see how it goes. At least you'll feel good having done something, and every little bit counts.

The food dicer is a great idea. I might get around to getting one too but I really want a fitbit, a yoga mat and food scale first. Thanks for the reply, hope to see you active in the group forum- it's the people that keep the group alive and going so share, share, share!

Also spread the love if you have other friends and family on MFP. Take care xxx
  • MissCeeDubb
    Options
    Yep :)
    Ill do the challenge with you.
    Where do i join?
  • MissCeeDubb
    Options
    Oh and what is a "Moderator"?
  • eag264
    Options
    Oh and what is a "Moderator"?

A moderator is like the "group security" where you make sure everyone is behaving and not putting up obscene pictures or cursing people out lol. Would you care to be one?

And yes! Start the challenge today if you can. There's nothing to join, you just start doing it :)
    Good luck and keep up the hard work!
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Maori dad living in California here. We do have some if the biggest people around, and it's time to be the healthy strong people we once were. Im in
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Part Maori living in Florida. Missing home - Christchurch. Got active when I had problems with my knee. Getter closer to end the end of the weight loss part but I'm already well on the way to enjoying a much healthier life.
    Nau Mai Haere Mai Koutou Katoa.
  • eag264
    Options
    Hi guys, it's awesome to find more people from similar cultures and I'm hoping to get more people and more conversations of support and motivation to help each other out. Thanks for joining!!
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for having us:) NZ hellkat and I have been working together for nearly a year now.