How can I get more protein and iron into my diet?

Options
I've been clean eating for a few months now, but as a vegetarian I find it difficult to get enough iron into my diet. I didn't realise how little I got until I've been tracking my food on here :/

What are some good ways to get more proteins and iron into my diet, other than supplements (I'll have protein occasionally after the gym)?

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    For iron dark green leafy veggies like kale, spinach and broccoli.

Protein - beans maybe or tofu.
  • tjmm01
    tjmm01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spinach is packed with a ton of iron! Cooked or raw you can't go wrong.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    peanut or other nut nutter, or just nuts for protein. You mentioned you are a vegetarian, but do you eat fish? That could be another source of protein.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Looking at one of my recipes, black beans have a decent protein count. 1 Can of Bushes black beans is 21g.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Try putting leafy greens in smoothies, a few handfuls spins down to almost nothing and is a great boost to your breakfast!:)
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Protein shake.....1 scoop =30 g, 2 scoops= 60 g...
  • Retrieverlove
    Options
    Yes to the above, but also squash, pumpkin seeds, and nuts have more iron than even leafy vegetables. Also, dark chocolate, beans and lentils have high iron, and tofu has high iron and protein. I make yummy boiled lentils with minced sauted onion and red peppers and spice them with cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper, jamaican jerk, and add a couple teaspoons of brown sugar. Many people, even my kids and picky relatives, like them.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For iron, here's a good resource for some iron rich foods: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/

As a vegetarian, you'd be looking at non-heme sources.

Personally, I go for frosted shredded mini wheat cereal with iron fortification, though if you go that route you should eat a little over the daily recommended because 1) non-heme (non-animal) iron is not absorbed as well as heme (animal) and 2) calcium (from the milk) also hinders iron absorption.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you had your iron tested? I have been a vegan for a long time and have never had a problem with iron levels?

What is your iron level versus the normal range under which you should fall?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    peanut or other nut nutter, or just nuts for protein. You mentioned you are a vegetarian, but do you eat fish? That could be another source of protein.
    Fish don't count, right? They don't feel pain/have feelings. :laugh:
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Use a cast iron pan regularly. Non-stick once it's seasoned and you get some iron with each meal. Some foods absorb a lot of iron while they cook, others not as much. But it's the last pan you'll ever buy.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a great source of protein and omega threes.
  • alruma
    alruma Posts: 4
    Options
    @Lectureman I had my iron tested about a year and a half ago and I was low so started taking supplements however I have since stopped as I cooked with more lentils, spinach, etc. But now I've moved countries it's definitely slipping again. Eg. today total iron = 15, goal iron = 100...

@Retrieverlove thank you for your suggestions! I was looking for things like that, ie. not the obvious 'spinach' ones!!

and thanks everyone else :) x
  • alruma
    alruma Posts: 4
    Options
    Fish don't count, right? They don't feel pain/have feelings. :laugh:

i do eat fish! and hahaa definitely not about animals feelings.. i just cannot stand the taste of any meat besides fish!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that vitamin C is important for absorbing non-heme iron (iron from plants), so it's a good idea to pair your iron-rich plants with sources of vitamin C. For example, chickpea salad with red peppers, spinach salad with nuts and tangerine segments, oatmeal with a glass of orange juice, etc.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I know this one! Pick me, pick me!!

I literally just got done talking to a client about iron. Here's the advice I gave her -

Eat 2-3 servings of the following each day at the same time you eat a source of Vitamin C:

Fortified breakfast cereal
    Oatmeal or cream of wheat
    Soybeans
    Beans, peas or lentils
    Pumpkin seeds
    Tofu
    Spinach
    Raisins
    Pretzels (only if they have 10% RDA or more)
    Apricots
    Whole wheat bread
    Eggs

Also, limit your dairy to 2-3 servings a day. A serving is an 8oz glass of milk, 1 slice of cheese, 1 6oz yogurt, 2 tbs of sour cream. If you are already not eating enough iron and you're going even slightly heavy on the dairy, your hemoglobin is likely in the bucket right now. You might also benefit from a multivitamin (but remember that the gummy kind don't have iron in them - it has to be the kind you swallow).

In terms of protein - beans, peas, lentils and tofu have the most protein per serving that I can think of. I'm also very fond of Greek yogurt - but only the nonfat variet, with at least 11g of protein.

I never recommend protein shakes, except as a dessert. Unless it's a low-carb variety, they generally have more sugar than a Twix bar.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Seaweed for iron.
  • luckyshilling
    luckyshilling Posts: 229
    Options
    liver *gags*:wink:
  • tjkramer
    tjkramer Posts: 16
    Options
    Lots of nut butter.
  • gbkweight
    gbkweight Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes! I've used a cast iron skillet all my life. I LOVE it.

In addition to two skillets, I have a ribbed skillet that makes BBQ stripes on food, a ribbed grill that goes on my gas stove top (who needs a BBQ?), and a pizza pan.

Research shows that cooking in cast iron pots can significantly increase the iron content of food, particularly foods with a high moisture content, high acidity and those cooked for a long time. For example, a serving of spaghetti sauce normally contains less than one milligram of iron, but when cooked in an iron pot, that can climb to nearly six milligrams.