How to get motivated?

Options
I am new here and am not sure how to ask this with out sounding like a huge baby, but here's how my day goes...

I want to lose 10 pounds this month, but can't seem to get started exercising. I have a 2 yr old and work a lot. I can only find time to do housework after my son goes to bed, so therefor I am up working until at least 10:00PM (usually 11) and get up at 6AM in the morning. I just can never find the time to exercise. I've tried getting up early before work, but I'm always too tired. I've tried working out before bed, but am always so tired that I can't motivate myself to just do it. I HATE working out and running! Any suggestions to either help me enjoy working out, or feel more motivated to do it??

Also, any suggestions on what to drink? I hate water, fruit juice, sports drinks, etc. The only thing I like to drink is POP and tea (sweetened). I know these are bad for me, but I can't find anything else I enjoy to drink. Even tried those packets you put in water, but they are too sweet.

Thank you guys for your help!!

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Learn to like water and make time for exercise, join a gym with childcare!
  • olivia39
    olivia39 Posts: 14
    Options
    How about cutting down your caloric intake? If you can't find time to exercise then you should watch what you eat. I am no expert but I think going for foods high in fiber would be good for your digestion and stay away from meat would help. Meat are really hard to burn. Also try to gradually stop putting sugar on your tea. Green tea actually is great for suppressing appetite.
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You really have to drink the water start slow and then add on. If you take time to walk or do something then you will drink the water for relief.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you already do a lot of running around, what with looking after a 2-year-old and housework till 10... that's all exercise! Why don't you focus on your diet? No idea what/how much you're eating at the moment, but it sounds like the most logical way to lose weight (though bit skeptical about losing 10 pounds in a month?!). Also, getting enough sleep will also help (according to my personal trainer), so probably not a good idea to deprive yourself of sleep in order to run around more!

Good luck.
  • cbonuz
    cbonuz Posts: 63
    Options
    Motivation is a common problem, however, you will NEVER "FIND" time to exercise.....you have to MAKE time to exercise. I had to begin by getting up earlier in the morning. Start with coffee or something to get you awake :) Its a sacrifice I'm willing to make for a better me. Good luck!!
  • rhoward66
    rhoward66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Motivation really needs to come from within you. I gained weight for years while watching my wife get healthier and healthier until finally it clicked in my head that I didn't want to be fat any more. I now get up at 3 AM to work out before work, and trust me, most mornings when the alarm clock goes off, I don't want to get up. But once I do and get moving, I get it done.

Also, try adding a squeeze of lemon to make drinking water more tasty.
  • stitchoholic
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the advice! I will try the lemon and am trying to watch my diet. I don't like many fruits and veggies, but I am still trying to get them down.....hoping I will learn to like them. Thank you!!!
  • tina_011794
    Options
    Ok, some times we just need to suck it up and do what we need to do. You have to drink water, this alone will cut you calorie intake, because of your drink choices. Maybe try adding a squeeze of lemon or try herbal teas (mint or something more flavorful, to eliminate sugar).

As for exercise with a 2 year old. Throw him/her in the stroller and go for walks. This is great for both of you. Or you can put on an workout video and do it with the child. I use to place my baby on my stomach when I did pelvic lifts and situps. It can be done, it is just you making a choice to do it.

I know this may sound a little harsh and I under stand your struggles (I have 4 kids). So good luck and I know you can do it!!
  • SandyHern
    SandyHern Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started out like you also. It took me forever to get motivated. I did start with lowering my calorie intake...that was hard, but I did it by eating half of what I usually would and then if I got hungry I would drink a cup of water and then eat a fruit for a snack.

Is there a way that you can take a walk during your lunch break? That's how I started incorporating excercise into my day. I would take a 15-20 min walk every day and then eat a homemade lunch afterwards. After like 2 months when I saw that I was loosing weight I really started getting motivated, that's when I found a gym near my work, and then would go 3 days a week for about 30 min to work out. Then on the other 2 days I would still do the walk.

With a 2 year old it is hard to find time at home and by the time they do fall asleep you are way too tired to do anything, so try to find a couple of min here or there during your work day.
  • PapaPolarBear
    Options
    i'm not a huge water drinker either, so I started off with switching to diet soda. and just watch the portions, i think that's a big thing for most people, as for exercise you're probably fine with chasing after your kid, I know the days i spend more time with my kids i tend to lose more than days when they aren't around as much, but if you want more many gyms include daycare in them now as part of member benefits.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i find that if i exercise first thing in the morning my day is set on the right track. Maybe get up an hour before the baby and get i at least 30 min of exercise. As for something to drink, i believe water is essential for health for everyone, Crystal light has a variety of great tasting drinks out now maybe one of those will work for you. Wishing you much success on your journey:flowerforyou:
  • mlcastillo_2
    Options
    yes, i agree... its tough when you have lil children, but it should be NO excuse!!!! im a single mother of twin boys (they're 5) i work full time and had to find a way to make time, just think of the ending result. Picture what you want to look like. Maybe have a picture on your fridge of someone who inspires you (that'll help you keep away from all the soda) and if soda is a must, try switching to diet and gradually get off it.drink lots and lots of water! i recently started drinking it alot and i feel waaaay better, I dont feel sluggish and its really doing wonders for my skin!!
    if you cant join a gym, try a dance class or a dvd workout. zumba is fun and works. i really recommend turbo jam. Its fun and intense! the music will get you pumped! lol good luck to you on your journey to weight loss!!!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be harsh but for me I made excuses until I realized that that was what they were excuses.....My son needs me to be healthy and honestly you will have more energy if you exercise and eat right.....Yes you need to drink water and I started out drinking v8 literally holding my nose while I did it but I did it to get my veggies...I called it my medicine. try that and cut your calories any other way you can for your arms how about lifting your child up in the air up and down...he should love it and your arms will love it too....And yes take him out in the stroller.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options