Not losing weight

Options
I am really struggling with weight loss and its very frustrating. I tried eating 1200 calories a day plus eating back my exercise
calories. I tried using TDEE and ate 1600 calories. I am 5 foot and weigh 160. I workout 5 days a week. 2 days kickboxing, 2 days weightlifting and 1 day straight cardio. I have not lost a singlec pound and my measurements aren't changing either. I am getting frustrated and don't know what else to do

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it?
  • TheDirtyBulker
    Options
    Are you tracking every calorie you are consuming? Are you being totally honest with both yourself and your calorie diary?

Science is science. Burn more than you take in results in weight loss. If you are not losing, then you have to do 1 of two things. Either lower your calories while maintaining the same activity level, or keep you calories where they are at and increase your exercise.
  • azdaisy2
    azdaisy2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Since March. Its so frustrating
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How long did you stick with the 1200 + exercise cals, and how long with the 1600? Often it takes 4-6 weeks for the body to adjust to the changes and to start seeing progress.

Do you also take measurements? Progress pics? You might see changes there that don't reflect on the scale...
  • TheDirtyBulker
    Options
    Not to sound rude, but I viewed your diary looking for some explanation for you and you seem to track for a day or two and then skip a couple days of tracking. I am assuming on the days you are not tracking, you are eating whatever you want. This would probably explain why you are not losing any weight.

Without tracking what you are eating, how can you base where you stand.
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    hey im 5 foot and i was 160 i got down to 152 in 3 weeks but now my scale wont budge either! i do a lot of lifting and resistance training so i know i need to go off my measurements not the scale but its been a week and they havent gone down either so i know how you feel! i say just stick to it if in a month you still havent lost i would go see a doctor there might be other issues going on!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Not to sound rude, but I viewed your diary looking for some explanation for you and you seem to track for a day or two and then skip a couple days of tracking. I am assuming on the days you are not tracking, you are eating whatever you want. This would probably explain why you are not losing any weight.

This is an appropriate observation.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd want to know measurements, too. With that much strength training, you may be putting on enough muscle to offset fat loss.

Secondly, if I wanted to lose a lot of weight, I'd increase HIIT training over some other types of exercise. It's "High Interval Intensity Training". So, you'd run as fast as you can on the treadmill for as long as you can, then cool down (fast walk, jog, or completely step off) for about half that length of time. I stalled out for about a month, and that seemed to get me moving again. It will drain you though, so give yourself recovery time in between sessions.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I, too, observed this. I know it's hard to get on the tracking train. It took me a few months to finally just stop caring what any of my friends on here thought and just logged EVERYTHING. I would complete my diary even if I was over my goals. We're human, right? We eff up sometimes. The only way you're going to succeed is by being honest with yourself and just keeping track, EVEN ON THE WEEKENDS. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
  • hottamolly00
    Options
    Plus, on the days you do track, you're only eating like 900 net cals. You can't even maintain with that weight. You'll lose for a bit with that, but eventually your body will start storing fat because it thinks you're on a deserted island with no food around...it's in survival mode.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    How are you measuring the calories you're burning due to exercise. I use a heart rate monitor and I do a lot of cycling and the MFP estimates are sometimes much higher than my HRM is showing.

I'm trying to maintain weight rather than loose at the moment and therefore I'm targeting 2100 calories a day plus whatever I burn through exercise. If I do an hours ride and my HRM shows 700 calories burned I log 620 because in an hour I'd have burned around 80 calories sat on the sofa and that is already part of my 2100 calories a day (2100 calories per day/24 hours = 80 cals an hour). If I do a two hour ride and my HRM shows me at 1600 cals I log 1440 (1600 - two hours at 80 cals an hour).

Either using the MFP estimates or counting gross calorie burn rather than net calorie burn (if that's a good term for it) will mean you're eating back too many calories. You do need to log everything, every day too.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    What worked well for me was changing my diet up and trying to cut down on fat and add more carbs. If you have not changed the settings on here, you might try that too. I have mine set up 55% carbs, 25% protien and 20% fat. I have played with mine and this works best for me.

Logging is essential to loosing. I notice when I log everything everyday..........I loose more.

Good Luck!
  • azdaisy2
    azdaisy2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring the calories you're burning due to exercise. I use a heart rate monitor and I do a lot of cycling and the MFP estimates are sometimes much higher than my HRM is showing.

I'm trying to maintain weight rather than loose at the moment and therefore I'm targeting 2100 calories a day plus whatever I burn through exercise. If I do an hours ride and my HRM shows 700 calories burned I log 620 because in an hour I'd have burned around 80 calories sat on the sofa and that is already part of my 2100 calories a day (2100 calories per day/24 hours = 80 cals an hour). If I do a two hour ride and my HRM shows me at 1600 cals I log 1440 (1600 - two hours at 80 cals an hour).

Either using the MFP estimates or counting gross calorie burn rather than net calorie burn (if that's a good term for it) will mean you're eating back too many calories. You do need to log everything, every day too.

I just use what MFP shows me for my calorie output. I don't have an HRM or anything fancy like that so I guess based on what MFP provides.

I do track - I just don't always have time to enter it here. The stuff I enter here is stuff I have preplanned the night before or if I have time during the day. I am super busy so I track on paper as I am on the go so I always know what I am eating
  • hottamolly00
    Options

I just use what MFP shows me for my calorie output. I don't have an HRM or anything fancy like that so I guess based on what MFP provides.

I do track - I just don't always have time to enter it here. The stuff I enter here is stuff I have preplanned the night before or if I have time during the day. I am super busy so I track on paper as I am on the go so I always know what I am eating

Gotcha, so you're tracking not on MFP. That does help. So, how many calories would you say you eat in a day when you work out? And how many when you don't?