Well, that was nice... while it lasted.

Options
I started doing MFP on July 20, so I fully realize it hasn't been long at all. I also know weight can fluctuate kind of a lot, depending on how much water you've drank, whether or not you've... uh... relieved yourself, what time of month it is, etc.

I also have a pear shaped body type. Even when I was underweight, I was still a size bigger on the bottom than the top.

Anyway, when I first started doing MFP, about 5 pounds fell off literally almost overnight. It wasn't water weight, either, it's GONE. Now, I know this takes time and all, but I haven't lost an ounce since then.
I'm working out more than I pretty much ever have, ever. Every other day like clockwork, at least. Sometimes an extra one if I have time. I've stuck to my calorie goal STRICTLY since I started, rarely going over, and if I do, it's only JUST over (20 calories or so). There are no "hidden" foods or snacks anywhere. If I put it in my mouth, I make sure I know what it's in it, and it gets logged.

I'm getting so discouraged. I'm just going to have this disgusting fat, blubbery muffin top spilling over my pants forever. I hate my body, this isn't the body I had, I don't even know how I got like this, and now I feel like I'm never going to be able to change it no matter what I do. I'm trying as hard as I can, and when I see I need to do better (I have to reign in my carbs a little bit, but I'm going shopping tonight and will keep that in mind), I make every effort. I know I'm not obese, but I'm not happy with my body, and I'm only 33. I just can't deal with the thought that there will never be a day that I don't hate what I see in the mirror.

I know it doesn't happen overnight, and I also know the first weight comes off the fastest, I'd just like to see SOME continued results.

Replies

• yojibalinese
    Options
    Do you think that because you are working out SO MUCH that you're not actually eating enough calories?
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Measure. You're working out, a lot more than what you used to do. Your body has to adjust to that. You may very well be losing inches, not weight. Not enough for you to see in the mirror, since we are the last ones to see our weight loss anyway, so you need some sort of objective measure.
    And remember, those 5 pounds dropped off immediately, the rest of your body may just be catching up to that. I've lost 5 lbs in about the same amount of time, I started this July 19. Don't get discouraged, weight loss is different for eveyone. You may lose in spurts, big loss, then no loss for weeks, then big loss.
    Don't get discouraged, give this TIME. You didn't gain overnight, you won't lose that way either!!! You can do it!!
  • krl523
    krl523 Posts: 53
    Options
    First, you have to change your thoughts. Being down on yourself and negative is not going to make your spirit want to change what you see. You have to be positive and know that change is possible for ANYBODY no matter what their body looks like. Transformation is possible and realistic if you put the work in. You have to love yourself regardless of what the outside looks like, then you will feel empowered to make the changes on the outside. It has to be a lifestyle change, but attitude is everything. Stay encouraged and just know that you deserve to reach your goals and you CAN & WILL if you put your best foot forward. No excuses only results. All things are possible......
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I totally understand. You should probably keep doing what you are doing for a little while, but some good suggestions if this keeps up would be to change the type of exercise you are doing, (if you are not already) eat at least most of your exercise calories, perhaps increase your calorie intake, and make sure you are drinking lots of water and good, filling nutritious foods (if you are not already). I would focus on making sure you get enough protein and fiber. Good luck!! Keep it up and the weight will come off!!
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: Oh my gosh, please don't be so hard on yourself! Weight loss takes time and is harder to take off than to put on!

One thing you can do to help boost start your weight loss is on your off days of doing cardio do strength training and also try mixing up the foods you eat. There are times I go for about 4-5 weeks without losing anything but then a pound or two will be gone. Also I work out at Curves and my last weigh in I didn't loss weight but did lose inches and body fat so that may be what is going on with you!

Please don't let this get to you and no matter what love who you are! Also if you really don't know why you got to where you are maybe you need to see what triggers your eating like is it emotional etc.. You will totally see the day of when you are happy with your body, I have been doing this for 2 years!
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    My friend who was also pear-shaped and obese lost all her weight doing Weight Watchers for a full year. She looks fantastic! It can be done and it's a long road. Change is never ez, neither is commitment but to achieve a better body you have to do both. Good luck, I empathize. Love yourself, you are worth it!
  • frecks
    frecks Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I heard that once you have done the same exercises for a certain length of time that your body gets use to it so you dont lose weight. If you haven't done it, try to mix up your work out. hope that helps x
  • RominaSullivan
    Options
    I know it's hard, but don't get discouraged!!!

When i first started, I didn't lose a pound for over a month!!! I was so down, but my husband explained to me that because I was working out so much (which I never did before) I was gaining muscle and that's why the weight didn't come off (muscle weighs more than fat). The first couple of weeks I felt super chubby too because my muscles where sore and big, but then I started deflating!! The following month I didn't just start to lose weight but my clothes fit sooooo much better!

It is different for everyone so just wait and see how your body reacts. If you are doing the right things (eating well and exercising) changes are already happening in your body!! Just because you don't see them it doesn't mean they are not happening. It's just a matter of sticking with it and you'll see results sooner than you think!

Good luck!

Ohhh and make sure you do a lot of cardio exercises if you don't already. I wasn't doing as much cardio at the beginning (only weights) and that may be one of the reasons why I was stuck. Once I started doing a lot of cardio, things sped up.
    I didn't enjoy running or being in the elliptical so I started doing zumba, spinning, aqua aerobics, kickboxing, yoga, and other gym classes and I LOVE THEM!! Huge difference for me. Plus you challenge your body in different ways when you mix up your workouts.

I've lost 15lbs in 7 months. So glad I didn't give up when I was discouraged at the beginning.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options

I'm getting so discouraged. I'm just going to have this disgusting fat, blubbery muffin top spilling over my pants forever. I hate my body, this isn't the body I had, I don't even know how I got like this, and now I feel like I'm never going to be able to change it no matter what I do. I'm trying as hard as I can, and when I see I need to do better (I have to reign in my carbs a little bit, but I'm going shopping tonight and will keep that in mind), I make every effort. I know I'm not obese, but I'm not happy with my body, and I'm only 33. I just can't deal with the thought that there will never be a day that I don't hate what I see in the mirror.

Hon, listen to yourself. First of all, you will not have disgusting fat blubbery whatever spilling over your pants forever. You know you won't if you stick with this. Also, you're your own worst critic and it probably is magnified in your mind, though you probably don't look like you think you do. You will change it, you are changing it at this very moment by being active on this site. Weight loss is a very, endlessly complex thing. Results, as you said, don't come overnight really except for the first week. I've lost 22 pounds on my weight loss journey, 10 of those since being on MFP in May of this year. I didn't think my body was changing. This took me over a year, to lose 22 pounds and not see them return. A year. Now, people have noticed that I've gone from nearly size 14 jeans to size 8.

Want to know my secret? There is no secret. I tried diets and weight watchers and none of it worked. Instead, I read a few books by Michael Pollan, an incredible food journalist, to learn where my food even comes from because lord knows I didn't know and still can't know 100% of the time. I've been reading "The End of Food" by Paul Roberts which discusses things from climate change, water supplies and globalization to food industry marketing and business as well as ethics. The fitness and diet industries are not helping you. They tell you to snack all day, to keep eating but to exercise those calories off, as if you have three hours every day to work off a muffin or two. I'm telling you, reconnect with your food, where it comes from, what's in season, what's local, what's really going on in the world today, and maybe, like myself, you'll have a change of mindset. The weight started coming off for me when I just changed how I saw things. Exercise isn't just to burn calories - it's destressing and its fun. I also don't work out like a maniac, I just stay on my feet a lot and do things around the house. Food and cuisine are a cultural thing - for years before people started becoming overweight, people relied on cuisines and cultural rules regarding food. Food was food, not strange granola bars with more ingredients than you can count or pronounce or prepackaged cookies. Anyway... yeah.

It takes a heck of a long time, but anything worthwhile takes time. Give thought to your food, to your body, your temple, and I'm telling you, this won't be a painful journey.
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Give it time- I joined MFP in November of last year and in the first week lost 5lbs then over 2 months lost another 10lbs then nothing for a while, then I gained back 10 of the 15 I had lost. I came home from a mission campaign to China in July and had lost 5lbs so it gave me the boost I needed to start again and I have lost another 5lbs since July 19th or so.

During the time that I wasn't losing or I was gaining, I was very depressed and not sleeping well (due to other life circumstances and a stupid boy) and stress and lack of sleep play a HUGE roll in weight loss (your body actually loses its weight while sleeping).

Don't get discouraged! Please! that will only feed the viscious monster of weight gain. Give yourself a break and try to be positive and try to decompress and get some rest. Also, if you are exercising really faithfully then your muscles are getting bigger and stronger and they weigh more than fat, so keep that in mind. (I go to Curves and they have a way to measure your body fat so even when I don't see improvement on the scale I usually will still see it in the body fat percentage- and that IS progress).

I know I am rambling, but I was just broken hearted when I read your post and wanted to encourage you. We all experience the "plateaus" of weight loss but when they are over we get right back on track. Don't give up after all of the hard work that you have done to get here- your body is changing give it tome to catch up to itself and you WILL see progress again. Plus taking care of yourself will make you feel physically, mentally AND emotionally better.

Anyway, please remember: YOU "are being transformed" 2 Corinthians 3:18 God Bless!
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ok, FIRST-- stop being mean to yourself! You're not disgusting, there's just bits of you that you'd like to re-shape.

Second-- are you doing weight training, or just cardio? If you're doing weight trainig, you may have put on a pound or 2 of lean muscle. If you're just doing cardio and working HARD (running hr in 75%+), you might be overdoing it and busrning muscle, thus lowering your metabolism.

Third-- the first few pounds always come off the easiest, because you're least used to supporting them, and they're supported by the super-extras (extra fries, extra butter, etc.). Keep at it, you're doing really well!

Lastly-- seriously, stop being mean to yourself. It's counter-productive. Depression can cause a dip in metabolism causing weight retention. So find the bits that you LIKE and oraise them! And take time to notice all the little changes!
  • joy85
    joy85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There's one thing I like to remind our clients (my husband and I run a fitness boot camp): remind yourself how long it took for you to the shape that you're in, to the body that you don't like seeing in the mirror. You've got to give yourself time to get back to where you want to be. Consistency is the key... consistently eating well, consistently working out, and consistently taking the proper supplements to gain the maximum benefits of your workout. While MFP is wonderful at giving you a visual of your food intake, you can't be obsessed with the scale either. Like one of these guys below said, you're gaining muscle as well as losing fat, so the weight loss will be slow. Find a pair of "motivation" pants and use that as your gauge of fat loss, not the scale. There's no fast, healthy way to drop a lot of weight/body fat... just be patient, and you WILL see the results of your hard work. Keep it up,... don't be discouraged!!! =)
  • dgrear04
    dgrear04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I ditto what yojibalinese said. Also, give yourself credit for the change that you HAVE made. Think of it more as pursuing a healthy lifestyle instead of just focusing on the weight loss. It's important to have the right mindset. If you're only focused on the weight loss you're sure to be discouraged at times. I know that I feel better when I eat right and exercise even if the weight isn't coming off as fast as I would like.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    try doing what the px90 dose mix up your work out confuse those muscle.:noway: hate to sound mean:laugh: but its you . your doing something wrong, if your are working out hard and eating the right things:noway: you have to figure out what it is that your body is not responding to are you over eating working the same muscles under eating it could be anything but be honest with yourself frist
  • Roboguy
    Roboguy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It sucks, don't it?

I am the same weigh! (<--- pun) I started July 21 and dropped 10 pounds almost immediately and I am still there despite my best efforts.

I know: patience, persistence, plateaus, etc. But I have focused my whole life on this and (shouted in typical American desire for instant gratification) I want to see some results!
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    To answer some of the comments:

I do mix up my workouts, if by default alone. I have a pain condition, and there's days I can't do what I did the workout before. I switch between walking with an incline on the treadmill, running/jogging intervals (of varying times and intensities), walking outside, and using the spin bike. I'm also going to buy a fitness step in the near future so I have something to do if I absolutely HAVE to watch TV, or the machines in the fitness room are down or in use.

I do strength training. Not as much as I could/should, but I am getting back into it. I wanted to work on cardio and endurance a little more first, but I do upper body strength at least twice a week. I plan to increase that as my body will let me. Weight exercises can be hard sometimes due to pain, but I do what I can safely do.

Like I already mentioned I need to watch carbs a little more, but when I go shopping tonight, I'm going to pick up some low fat string cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc (lean protein) for snacks. I also take a multivitamin because I'm a vegetarian, and I know I miss out on some of the B vitamins as well as iron by not eating meat.

I also eat most or all of my exerise calories, and have made a point not to eat unless I'm truly hungry rather than bored or looking for something to do with my hands. That was a HUGE thing that got me in trouble. When I first started MFP, I was horrified to find that I was eating upwards of 800 calories grazing on "good" foods, and they were good foods, not chips and candy (that much, I still have the occasional treat of course), rather fruits, nuts, cheeses, or low fat snacks. I also cut out sugared soda, except when water or diet soda isn't around. That was about 500 calories a day of pure sugar gone right there.

I need to watch fiber because I have IBS, and I'm one of the people who fiber hurts rather than helps, especially the insoluble stuff. If I want rapid weight loss, all I have to do is eat an apple or a bowl of raisin bran, if you catch my meaning. :embarassed:

I know it's taken probably about 2 years to get in this awful shape, but I'm making a sincere and consistent effort to live a better lifestyle and make better choices. I'd actually feel better if I had 80 pounds to lose - the results would be more obvious.

Oh, and I do measure. So far, only 1/4" (maybe) gone off my waist and hips, my two MAJOR problem areas. And it's not distorted body image. It very clearly looks like I'm trying to hide something under the waistband of pants that were loose before.
  • ChristyShivers
    Options
    Hang in there- don't throw in the towel! As you begin working out, you also start developing muscle. It isn't uncommon for the scales to show a slight increase in weight. As you build muscle, the scales will creep up but the good news is that with muscle, you start burning fat/calories in your sleep. It does take time. Find exercises that you enjoy (dance, aerobics, biking, walking, jogging, etc) and mix them up. Grab a few hand weights and challenge your muscles. Track your food intake on MFP so that you know you are keeping within your calroic intake but not focus on the scales non-stop. Realize that exercise is also good for your heart and circulation and your longevity. It takes time but as the time passes, you will also notice that you feel better and have more energy. Switch up your workouts so that muscle memory doesn't affect your progress and don't forget to rest along the way too. Hang in there! You can do it!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Like I already mentioned I need to watch carbs a little more, but when I go shopping tonight, I'm going to pick up some low fat string cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc (lean protein) for snacks. I also take a multivitamin because I'm a vegetarian, and I know I miss out on some of the B vitamins as well as iron by not eating meat.

Oh, and I do measure. So far, only 1/4" (maybe) gone off my waist and hips, my two MAJOR problem areas. And it's not distorted body image. It very clearly looks like I'm trying to hide something under the waistband of pants that were loose before.

Okay...as for the vegetarian thing...what types of proteins are you getting? While dairy is an okay source...stick with beans, lentils, whole soy products, and grains. What type of multi are you taking? I take Raw One for Women by Vitamin Code...it's a vegan vitamin with extra b-12 for us vegetarians/vegans.

Measuring is the best way to determine weight loss...I may not have the same issues as you do, but I do have a lovely muffin top....due to having a child, unfortunatly for me it will probably never go away without having a tummy tuck.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    (muscle weighs more than fat)

Just a pet peeve clarification. This is a super common belief, but not true. A pound is a pound no matter what it is made of. It's just that muscle takes up less room on our bodies than fat.

A pound of muscle might look like this (....) and a pound of fat might look like this (...................) so it looks different on our bodies.
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Okay...as for the vegetarian thing...what types of proteins are you getting? While dairy is an okay source...stick with beans, lentils, whole soy products, and grains. What type of multi are you taking? I take Raw One for Women by Vitamin Code...it's a vegan vitamin with extra b-12 for us vegetarians/vegans.

Measuring is the best way to determine weight loss...I may not have the same issues as you do, but I do have a lovely muffin top....due to having a child, unfortunatly for me it will probably never go away without having a tummy tuck.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

I eat a good amount of tofu and seitan, but I don't have them every day. Because I need to watch fiber due to IBS, beans aren't a very good choice for me. I do eat *some* processed mock meats, but not a ton. I like the Quorn Chik'n cutlets for a quick meal, and veggie burgers. I eat those maybe 2 meals a week. I also eat a lot of eggs (I'm lacto-ovo) and reduced fat PB to make up for some of the animal protein. I usually do OK in that department, at least according to this site.

The multivitamin I take is a vegetarian women's formula. Not sure of the brand without looking (I'm not at home atm), but I get it at Trader Joes.