ChaLEAN Extreme or TurboFire first?

Options
Asterie
Asterie Posts: 159 Member
I'm currently on week two of insanity (should technically be on month two, but I was sick for a month and had to start over), and I'm trying to plan what I'll do next! After a whole lot of research, I've decided that I'll either do TurboFire or ChaLEAN Extreme--I plan on doing both of them this year, but I don't know which one I should do first! Also: I only have a pair of 8 lb dumbbells, I don't know if this is too light or too much for the CLX workouts, I couldn't really find any information on it. Any and all help is highly appreciated!

Replies

• SwampWitch75
    SwampWitch75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're going to need a range of weights and what the right weight is depends on the person.

I just started CLX today. I personally want to lose more weight before attempting Turbo Fire so the high impact isn't as bad. I'm thinking I may get Turbo Fire at Christmas time.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If a pair of 8 lb dumbbells is all you have, you don't have nearly enough for CLX. You will need a variety of dumbbells that range up to 30 or so lbs. The program is based on performing with a weight that has you hitting failure in 10-12 reps (phases 1 and 3) and 6-8 reps (phase 2). 8 lbs will not NEARLY be enough to challenge you for lower body exercises given these parameters. That being said, TF gets results as a cardio only program, but is not complete in and of itself because it does not include strength training. And if you follow the schedule that has you doing TF workouts 5 days a week, you can't really supplement it with additional strength training without boosting your calorie requirements and needed rest through the roof. So I would say do 3 days a week of TF and supplement it with bodyweight based strength training (incorporating your dumbbells when you can) the 3 other days.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I do a hybrid of the two. IMO, they work really well together. For CLX, I bought a pair of PowerBlock SportBlock 2.4 adjustable dumbbells that go up to 24lb.s. They've been great but I'm hoping to outgrow them this year.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I do think doing a hybrid of the 2 is the best of both worlds, I believe strength training to be important. 8 lb dumbbells will not be enough for CLX though, even if you are a complete beginner. You will most likely start off with more than that for the lower body exercises and definitely need more as the program progresses.
  • mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have done Chalean Extreme twice and some of the TurboFire workouts. After Insanity - CLX may seem slow to you. I think the cardio of CLX will seem mild in comparison. 8 lbs. is definitely not enough weight for CLX. Some of the lower body exercises I was using 20 lbs. and could have done more but 20 lbs. was the largest weight I had. I love CLX and it is my go to program!
  • jjrjmedeiros
    jjrjmedeiros Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a hybrid of the two. I completed ChaLEAN Extreme at the beginning of the year, but I just can't do a full cardio program anymore... I just don't like it. So I follow the CLX schedule, but do HIIT workouts from TurboFire on cardio days. I'm seeing really great results from this.

If you can't afford heavier weights, you can get some resistance bands instead. There's always someone in each workout using the bands instead. :)
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice re: TurboFire, but I just wanted to say that I'm sort of the polar opposite from you: I'm about 1/2 thru CLX and am going to be starting Insanity in a few weeks. My plan is to do a hybrid -- Insanity 3 or 4 days a week and CLX 2 days.

Good luck!
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for an inexpensive solution to the weights you need for CLX, Wal-Mart has a $40 weight set. Buy 2 of them and you will have all the weights you need to make 2-25 pound weights. I started CLX 2 years ago but stopped 5 weeks in due to an injury. I really enjoyed it - Chalene really gets you motivated to stick with it.

I just got back into a regular workout routine and am on day 2 of TurboFire which is similar to the CLX cardio. Once I finish the 90 days I'm going to do the hybrid of TF & CLX which I'm really looking forward to.

Does anyone know how to log the HIIT workouts for TurboFire? I'm logging them as high impact cardio but I'm not sure if this is accurate.

Good luck!
  • sugaree1202
    Options
    Correction to my post above - the weights I referenced are $20 a set, made by Gold's Gym and are 40lbs a set.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would say do TurboFire first; since it has a bit of strength training in it too, which will help you build up to be able to do Chalean Extreme. :)
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Does anyone know how to log the HIIT workouts for TurboFire? I'm logging them as high impact cardio but I'm not sure if this is accurate.

It's really hard to say since every body is different and many factors play a role. The best way to get a more accurate estimate is with a good heart rate monitor that gives your calorie burn or something like a BodyMediaFit but for getting an estimate from MFP's database, I'd say what you are using is good.
  • sugaree1202
    Options

It's really hard to say since every body is different and many factors play a role. The best way to get a more accurate estimate is with a good heart rate monitor that gives your calorie burn or something like a BodyMediaFit but for getting an estimate from MFP's database, I'd say what you are using is good.

Thanks! I'm going to get a hrm when I have a few extra bucks. I also found a website (everyday health) that calculates the calories burned in the individual classes which I've been using then adding them to MFP.