Eating the same foods all the time

Options
satxdc99
satxdc99 Posts: 74 Member
So, I am a creature of habit. I could eat the same thing for DAYS in a row. When I am focusing on eating well I eat to nourish my body so I just eat what I have and am okay with eating the sames things. I just wonder if it is counter-productive to do this? Does anyone know? Is it okay to drink a green smoothie everyday? What if I eat chicken for lunch and dinner for 2 days in row? Does variety matter?
<br>
Oh and I just rejoined 2 days ago to lose 7 lbs. I gained a few pounds but want to lose that and more. Feel free to "friend" me. :-)

Replies

• freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I am totally the same way. When I'm eating well I need a routine to stick to in order to be successful. like Monday through Friday is almost the same for me. I have egg whites for breakfast. Fruit for lunch. Salad for dinner. (my salads are usually different tho, like one night I'll do shrimp, broccoli, lettuce and carrots or another night i'll do fried eggs, lettuce, quinoa, carrots... you get the idea). I'm more flexible on the weekends because I tend to eat out on the weekends.. like I go to whole foods or a vegan/vegetarian/ earthy type of place... or sushi... but anyway.. point being.. i'm a creature of habit too... at least Monday through Friday (excluding holidays, birthdays, celebration days, Stress days, emotional eating days, binge days hahaha)
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    love this! i also do good when i stick to the same food everyday i mix up the veggies every once in a while but other then that its the same!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would it matter?
  • facilitators1334
    Options
    I do the same thing :smile:
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've seen studies where it's been proven that eating mostly the same foods every day is actually the best way to lose weight.
    I could never do that though ... I absolutelly need variety or I will fall off the wagon.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites for breakfast and a salad for either lunch or dinner pretty much every day, and I really haven't gotten sick of it. it's a matter of tweaking things a little bit every day--using hot sauce in the eggs one day or chicken in the salad one, then a hard boiled egg the next day or almonds another. As long as you're getting all of the nutrients that you should get, and you're happy, eat what you want!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I tend to be the same, although I am working on switching things a bit.
    I am a creature of habit.
    I also go through phases. I ate poached salmon almost every evening for months and months and now I cannot stand the taste.
    I now seem to be wanting to eat roast chicken breasts every evening, and am battling to mix that up a bit.
    Without fail almost, I have a duck egg, greek yoghurt, an apple, carrots, houmous and hot chocolate every day.
  • satxdc99
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I am glad to hear I am not the only one. I wondered about it because I didn't know if our bodies get accustomed to the foods we eat, making hard to lose weight. I guess kind of like how it can get used to the exercise we do which is why sometimes when we hit a plateau we need to change things up a bit.
  • satxdc99
    Options
    Also, I am glad to hear it is actually the best way to eat.
  • skitttlesrock
    skitttlesrock Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    oh my goodnez I was wondering the same thing and thought the same way you did ..
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    your body sees macro nutrients and micro nutrients not the foods you are eating. As long as you are in a deficit and getting adequate total macros and micros and you are happy to eat that way then stick with it.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Variety only matters to the extent that you are getting your body's required micro and macro nutrients. So provided your diet adequately covers your needs it is fine to eat the same thign every day
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same stuff all the time. Works for me. Every now and then, I spend a weekend coming up with some new recipes and making sure they fit my macros and calories goals, but that's only because I like to cook. If I didn't, I'd eat the same thing every day and be happy with it.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the same breakfast for about a year now...why? because it's still good to me, and its relatively healthy..so why not?
  • satxdc99
    Options
    Great responses everyone! Thanks so much. This is why I love MFP!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast, lunch, and snacks for weeks at a time. Hasn't hurt me as far as I know.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have the same breakfast and lunch nearly every single workday. A bowl of cereal in the morning, and two slices of bread or a bagel with cream cheese, a greek yoghurt, and some fruit for lunch. And a daily mid-morning cereal bar and afternoon tea and biscuit, since my job is fairly physical. On non-work days, I usually have a large, late breakfast and skip lunch entirely.

Dinner varies, but it's usually the same thing 2-3 days in a row, because I cook bigger portions and eat leftovers. Saturdays are the most varied, because I cook with a group of friends then and we attempt things I wouldn't make just for myself.

Works for me!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat almost the same thing every single day! I just change my lean protein once in a while....works for me! :)