the last hurdle....

Options
I need help to get over this last hurdle guys pleasei've lost 129lbs taking my weight down from 284lbs to 155(goal weight 145). im 5ft 10 I've been using the gym since last july and do a combination of weight training and cardio which really has helped a lot although i feel im still carrying too much bodyfat which doesnt show off my muscle as much as it could.
My problem is a month ago i was down to 147 then i slipped a little after a weekend away and went up to 152. i then started hiking a pretty fast paced 8 mile hike 6 days a week and doing the gym 3 days a week to weight train. I can feel the increased muscles in my legs which have always been stronger than my upper body but the problem is my weight is going up(now 155) my legs are getting bigger so clearly im increasing muscle BUT the fat isnt going down. I carry most of my weight on my lower half and i need to slim down not get bigger. At first i dismissed as water weight but a month later im still gaining. Calorie intake is around 1800 per day.any advice please?

Replies

• norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bumping for ya!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    thankyou :D
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm in a really similar situation and curious to hear the answers. I'm at 155 also. And had previously been at 147! Grr. I had a few bad weeks of eating and at the same time I started heavy lifting and I've been steadily at 155 for about two weeks now. And nothing is changing. NOTHING. Sigh. Hoping it just takes time?
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    are you losing inches rather than weight tho? im not you see which is why im more concerned. if i was getting smaller i wouldnt worry about what weight i was.
  • iowamamaof3
    Options
    Have you tried something like a 30 day shred? I know that by doing that my weight hasn't changed but my pants are falling off! I use Jillian Michaels dvds and make they kick my rear!! Just an idea!! I hope you find some answer because that is so frustrating!!
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    No. I'm losing nothing. No inches or weight. :frown:
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I need help to get over this last hurdle guys pleasei've lost 129lbs taking my weight down from 284lbs to 155(goal weight 145). im 5ft 10 I've been using the gym since last july and do a combination of weight training and cardio which really has helped a lot although i feel im still carrying too much bodyfat which doesnt show off my muscle as much as it could.
    My problem is a month ago i was down to 147 then i slipped a little after a weekend away and went up to 152. i then started hiking a pretty fast paced 8 mile hike 6 days a week and doing the gym 3 days a week to weight train. I can feel the increased muscles in my legs which have always been stronger than my upper body but the problem is my weight is going up(now 155) my legs are getting bigger so clearly im increasing muscle BUT the fat isnt going down. I carry most of my weight on my lower half and i need to slim down not get bigger. At first i dismissed as water weight but a month later im still gaining. Calorie intake is around 1800 per day.any advice please?

Ya the last few pounds are the worst, currently in the middle of dropping them after starting and hanging around the same weight for the last 4 years, so I feel your pain.

Was your calorie Intake different before the 1800?
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    People may disagree with me, but I'm a fan of actually doing cheat weeks. I feel like it tricks my body into thinking I'm fat again, and then I just go back down to the normal (healthy) food intake and exercise and I will usually see bigger losses. I may gain 5 - 10 lbs back during the "cheat week" but then over the next month or so, I will lose more than that back.

And my cheat week will actually include no exercise... I'm a big believer in cycling off things for awhile to keep things interesting and keep my body guessing.

It works for me, but I can't say it will work for everyone... and some of you are talking about that last 5 - 10 lbs, and that may actually require a lot of various changes.

Good luck!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

Ya the last few pounds are the worst, currently in the middle of dropping them after starting and hanging around the same weight for the last 4 years, so I feel your pain.

yes my calorie intake was around 1500 before the 1800 and before that when i first started i stupidly set too low at 1200 but quickly realised my mistake. I wouldnt worry so much if i wasnt visibly carrying too much fat on my lower half...not a good look
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options

yes my calorie intake was around 1500 before the 1800 and before that when i first started i stupidly set too low at 1200 but quickly realised my mistake. I wouldnt worry so much if i wasnt visibly carrying too much fat on my lower half...not a good look

Oh the damn lower half! That's why I'm dropping the last few too, to see if it makes a difference on my saddle bags and some cellulite- lifting/plyometrics/running have only taken them so far so I want to also see what the drop of a last few pounds will do.

This nutritionist has some good info on metabolic rate and challenges like your facing. Here is the link my friend gave me:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Hope this helps
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

Oh the damn lower half! That's why I'm dropping the last few too, to see if it makes a difference on my saddle bags and some cellulite- lifting/plyometrics/running have only taken them so far so I want to also see what the drop of a last few pounds will do.

This nutritionist has some good info on metabolic rate and challenges like your facing. Here is the link my friend gave me:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Hope this helps

oh thankyou ill take a look at this, ill try anything right now!
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you're doing an 8 mile hike, then you're burning 800+ cals through exercise each of those days, are you eating that back ? Because you really need to..
    Are you sure its an 8 mile hike.. thats ~3 hours of hiking. Some of my hikes I only average 2mph.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    If you're doing an 8 mile hike, then you're burning 800+ cals through exercise each of those days, are you eating that back ? Because you really need to..
    Are you sure its an 8 mile hike.. thats ~3 hours of hiking. Some of my hikes I only average 2mph.

yes its definitely 8 miles my daughter has an app that works it all out. it takes us around 2.5 hours but we walk at a pretty fast pace. My hrm calculated the calories i burned at 742 and thats with a chest strap. I do eat some of that back usually but not all of it although i have cut my calories a lot the last 2 days