Acid Reflux

Options
lulloa
lulloa Posts: 148 Member
I suffer from acid reflux and it sucks. Anybody in the same situation? What foods help it what foods make it worst? Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful.

Replies

• rhondatn
    rhondatn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Acid reflux does suck! I generally try to avoid spicy foods, tons of caffeine, lots of carbs, basically everyone good, lol! I had it so bad that I had to start taking Prilosec. It really helped. Also, don't eat for about 3 hours before bed and don't lie down right after eating. What helped me the most and gave me the most relief is losing 30 lbs. I still have it, just not as bad.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Acid reflux does suck! I generally try to avoid spicy foods, tons of caffeine, lots of carbs, basically everyone good, lol! I had it so bad that I had to start taking Prilosec. It really helped. Also, don't eat for about 3 hours before bed and don't lie down right after eating. What helped me the most and gave me the most relief is losing 30 lbs. I still have it, just not as bad.

What she said! Absolutely. Try not to eat right before bed, and try not to lie down for 2 hours after eating. When you do go to bed, prop yourself up with pillows. It's recommended to avoid caffeine, alcohol, smoking, overeating, spicy foods, acidic foods, fried foods, and mint. Taking medications like Advil/Motrin (ibuprofen) and Aleve (naproxen) also worsen reflux. Anything that increases intraabdominal pressure will worsen your symptoms- including wearing tight or restrictive clothing and having belly fat.

Have you tried any medications? And have you seen a doctor about it? It's important to get it under control early, because untreated it can lead to more serious problems down the road, including Barrett's esophagitis and esophageal cancer (from chronic erosion of the tissue, which causes cellular changes).
  • toyota
    toyota Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have acid reflux. I take Prevacid for mine. It helps. Things that give me heart burn is coffee, birthday cake, pizza, tomatoes, brownies, citrus fruits such as pineapple, oranges, tangerines, watermelon, cucumber, spaghetti, lasagna. juice, doughnuts.
    I take tums & Prevacid.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bananas can help from what I've read
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of acid reflux is easy. Just learn the foods that have digestive enzymes and/or probiotics in them. I also take HCl with pepsin and digestive enzyme pills. I can eat just about any food except tons of raw garlic. Kimchi, sauerkraut and kefir help a lot.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I suffer from acid reflux and it sucks. Anybody in the same situation? What foods help it what foods make it worst? Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful.

I went through this about 4 years ago. I had bad reflux, where I would wake up at night with vomit in my mouth. I was told it was a valve problem and could not be fixed by changing diet. After being on strong acid blockers for 6 months, I started testing which foods gave me acid reflux. Pizza was the worst. I tried tomato sauce one night and no problem. When I tried just the crust, I found it was the bread at night. I found a few other foods that caused the reflux by testing. I avoid the foods that caused the reflux, and now I no longer have a problem with acid reflux. Good luck.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I went through this about 4 years ago. I had bad reflux, where I would wake up at night with vomit in my mouth. I was told it was a valve problem and could not be fixed by changing diet. After being on strong acid blockers for 6 months, I started testing which foods gave me acid reflux. Pizza was the worst. I tried tomato sauce one night and no problem. When I tried just the crust, I found it was the bread at night. I found a few other foods that caused the reflux by testing. I avoid the foods that caused the reflux, and now I no longer have a problem with acid reflux. Good luck.

Yes, these foods cause reflux by relaxing the lower esophageal sphincter (which works like a valve). The foods and things I mentioned before are known to relax the LES and cause reflux. Hiatal hernias can cause a weakened LES too. There are surgeries to fix a weak LES, but GI doctors will have you try more conservative ways of management first before bringing you under the knife.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet cured my husbands acid reflux that he was taking a prescription for. We think it was mainly the bread that was causing it but we can't be sure because we changed quite a bit about our diet at the same time.