I want to swim!

Options
I can swim but I want to start swimming for exercise. I am a lazy swimmer now and don't really use my legs-More like doggy paddle really.. Any tips on how to get started swimming for exercise and improve my technique??

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1. practice
    2. maybe theres a water aerobic class or swim class at an indoo r pool somewhere/
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you want to get anywhere (literally and figuratively) you better start moving those legs.

Start with just ten minutes of uninterrupted laps. Go slow if you need to but don't stop (and keep your arms and legs moving). If you can do more than that, try for another 10 minutes. Build up to an hour slowly. You'll see that it gets easier with time.

If your legs are getting too tired too fast, wear some flippers. Yes, they may look funny, but under the water no one sees. They will make it much easier on your calves and they will push the water for you so you can go farther, easier.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Many colleges and pools offer masters swimming classes. Look for a master's class in your area.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a kick board and watching some YouTube videos on different strokes, like freestyle and breast stroke. These two strokes work the legs completely differently.

Just using the kick board allows you to focus on the kick. There is also a device called a pull bouy that allows the legs to float while you focus on the upper body movements.

Then you can combine them.

Don't try the butterfly until you're a strong swimmer. There is a swimming group on MFP, you should join it!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,891 Member
    Options
    Is there a masters swim team near you? They have great workouts and you don't need to compete unless you want to. I swam with a master's group one summer and the workout was fantastic and a lot of work.
  • KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    I love my water aerobics class. You are constantly moving and I know that I am getting in 1 hour of exercise every time I go.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Kick board is your best bet. Great workout and let's you get comfortable in the water.
  • BrandyinCarolina
    Options
    I love swimming. I do water aerobics 6 days a week at my local YMCA and just love it. I usually do the hour class and then swim laps for about 30 minutes. And actually dog paddling, moving your arms and legs both, is good exercise too! Just keep moving and work your way up!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I swam competitively for years...what i would do is start out with a small workout...a warm up of maybe 4 laps...then intervals of kicking with a kickboard 2 laps in either breast stroke or freestyle. Then intervals of swimming 2 laps at a nice pace really stretching out your body and muscles- especially your core. Then a cool down of 4 laps- slow and steady.

Warm up: 4 laps freestyle (100 yards)

Workout: 6 intervals of 2 laps (50 yards) kicking with a kickboard- 1 minute rest in between (total yards= 300)

6 intervals of 2 laps (50 yards) of swimming in either breast stroke or freestyle with 1-1.5 minutes rest between (total yards=300)

Cool down: 4 laps (100 yards) slow and easy, concentrating on stretching out your core and body as you swim.

Also, check out pinterest. This is just a very basic workout. And a very beginner one. Maybe a max of 30 minutes.
    I hope this helps...
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The best way if you don't have an Olympic pool or out in some body of water to practice is to get a Swim Trainer Tether. They range is cost and how they mount. But I had one years ago and I loved it. I'm actually going to get another one, as the belts have disintegrated (they sat out in the sun unused for about 4 years).

Anyway, you put a belt on which is hooked to a tether that's on a flexible pole... it allows you to pretty much stay in place and paddle without having to worry about turning or hitting walls. So you can concentrate on your stroke.

Hope that helps...

Otherwise, just force yourself to use your legs.

The super low cost way would be to hold on to the side of your pool and just kick your legs like crazy until you tire out. Rest, and repeat.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I took lessons last year and have about five different drills that I used to do: shark fins, roly polys, side stroke, back ( legs only kicking from hips, and forward crawl laps:)
  • valligal
    valligal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think it is great that you want to swim! Since you are new to it, I wouldn't suggest a master's class. I have taught adult swim lessons in the past and that may be a good place to learn strokes. The best thing about the pool is that even if you paddle around you are going to get a workout! So, you don't have to be perfect to do it. One of the biggest frustrations of my adult students is that their fitness from other sports don't seem to transfer to the pool - the runner gets "out of breath" fast in the pool. I think it is a perfect opportunity for intervals - kick or swim one minute as hard as you can and then go for 3 minutes at a deliberately slow pace. This way you are less likely to get discouraged.

I am also a huge fan of "water jogging". I like to go from the shallow to the deep end - and I sweat! A lot of pools have foam belts that help keep you up in the deep end. Once your feet are off the pool floor, lean slightly forward and keep jogging! Your form doesn't have to be perfect and you still get a great workout.

I have also taught/done water aerobics as another poster suggested. Great fun and don't be afraid to modify as best for you! Good luck!
  • josarahm
    josarahm Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks so much!