Interview at Subway...help me get the job!

Options
Hopefully all you amazing people will give me some advice =)

I am now looking for a part-time job. :bigsmile: I don't have a degree in anything (besides being awesome) or any special talents. I just want to make a few bucks and have something to pass the time haha. One of my friends and I went to a bunch of local stores and asked if they were hiring. When we got to Subway, they said they were, gave us each an application, and told us to come on Thursday for an interview from 9-11.

So what should I except? I'm not sure if it will be an open interview or what. I also don't really know what kind of questions they will ask, but I assume simple ones. I think I'm good on that part though because I'm pretty good at making up fake stories and bs-ing things...hehe.

Also what should I wear? I'm kind of lost on this part. I mean it's Subway, not some fancy company, but I still want to look nice.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to go, because I have class when the interview is, but I can always ditch :wink:

Thanks for your help! =)

Replies

• abrandnewme18
    abrandnewme18 Posts: 305
    Options
    bump....c'mon people!
  • joshuapack
    joshuapack Posts: 55
    Options
    I used to be a district manager for a franchised owned subway chain in florida. It is real easy to get the job. Just say you'll be available whenever you can and you are a hard worker.
  • bantu2
    bantu2 Posts: 6
    Options
    Khaki pants and a nice blouse would be fine. No jeans, flip flops, t-shirt, etc.

Be friendly, confident and don't over-think your answers.

Remember...lots of people want the job, they want someone who stands out as hard-working, reliable and intelligent.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Don't over dress. It's Subway, not Sacks 5th Avenue.

As for the questions, they will want to know two things. 1. Have you ever worked in the food industry before? 2. What is your availability?

If you haven't worked in the food service industry before, they might be willing to train you.

The only thing that is going to help you get this job is a stunning personality or experience.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Make sure your hair and nails are super clean and tie back long hair, dress as you would when working there (not high heels), smile, say you work hard and are available ....

Good luck
  • reginadelmundo
    Options
    1. Do your research. Know about the company because they will always ask, "Why Subway?"
    2. Wear a nice polo shirt and slacks/khakis.
    3. Have a question to ask them, such as about their training/mentoring program.

This is good advice. I always ace interviews. I always get the job.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I worked for Subway for nine years as a night shift supervisor and as the manager of my store. I was constantly interviewing people for shifts because the turnover rate is so high in the restaurant industry. The most important thing is to make sure the shifts will work out with your schedule and be honest about your availability. The most irritating part of being a manager was hiring people who acted like they'd be available for shifts and would call in last-minute.

If you have food service experience, mention it and say in detail what you did. Mention if you have experience running a cash register or POS (point of sale) system. Mention any customer service experience you've had. Mention if you've done well at any of your math classes and emphasize you are good at money-handling, and try to present yourself as an honest person who will be responsible with the till.

When we hire people, we really want the employees to be able to handle supervisor responsibilities in case someone doesn't show up, which is the greatest worry when you put someone on the schedule. They may seem sincere in wanting the job and then completely stand you up.

Store managers get paid salary and are responsible for the entire store. Oftentimes, our bonuses rely on whether or not food cost, productivity, and store reviews come out well, so we really have to make sure we're on top of our game and everyone else is, too. The more you can show yourself to be genuinely interested in having the job, that you're honest and forthright, and that you will be reliable, the better chances you'll have.

You should dress decently buy not over-done. Not too many accessories and be prepared to tie your hair back. A lot of times when I brought someone in for an interview, I would put them on the line and see how they reacted to customers, and I would have them do about an hour or two of 'test run' training to see where they stood and what we would need to work on.

Don't be shy, be vocal - if a customer approaches, greet them with a smile and say, "Hi, what can I get for you today?"

If you have questions, never be afraid to ask. It's always better to take the time to ask than to frustrate a customer and have to re-do an order, especially if you have a line of customers waiting to be served. If you do get hired, work on your efficiency on the line and your speed, so you keep everything flowing smoothly. Always re-fill containers when you have a free minute, and use the FIFO method - First in, First out. That means if you have a cambro (pan) full of new ingredients, place the old ingredients on top so they are used first, and clean out the old pan. It's essential to rotate the pans to keep your line from looking disgusting.

And for God's sake, make sure you wrap the sandwiches tightly without the ends hanging out of the paper, but don't crush them in the process.

... all these tips should help. Good luck :P
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Don't over dress. It's Subway, not Sacks 5th Avenue.

As for the questions, they will want to know two things. 1. Have you ever worked in the food industry before? 2. What is your availability?

If you haven't worked in the food service industry before, they might be willing to train you.

The only thing that is going to help you get this job is a stunning personality or experience.
    You can't "over dress" for an interview when it entails directly dealing with the public IMO. I've been a manager at Circuit City and Toys R Us, and if 2 people with the same qualifications came in and one dressed up very nicely, while the other came in very casual, I personally would be drawn to the one who dressed nicely. Does it mean they will be a better worker? Not necessarily, but people that take the extra effort to dress nice, usually will also be better at detail. With jobs so short in this market right now, I wouldn't take the chance.
    One of the best responses that you can say in an interview is " I will attempt to reach whatever expectations you have of me". Just saying "I'm a hard, responsible worker" is echoed by everyone who wants the job. Be different.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • abrandnewme18
    abrandnewme18 Posts: 305
    Options
    thank you for all the tips! :bigsmile: i don't think i'm going to go tomorrow, because i don't want to miss class. but i'm going to call and see if i can schedule an interview at another time. let's hope they actually do something besides say "oh call back when the manager is in."
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the tips! :bigsmile: i don't think i'm going to go tomorrow, because i don't want to miss class. but i'm going to call and see if i can schedule an interview at another time. let's hope they actually do something besides say "oh call back when the manager is in."

The actual store manager is usually in between 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm. Don't try to call between 11:30am-1:30pm, that's when the lunch rush is and odds are they are too busy to answer the phone. I would try to call as early as possible, starting with 9am. If the manager is not in, ask when s/he will be. Let them know you need to reschedule and set a date on the phone so they know you're serious.

If you're not serious, though, don't waste their time. You should know when you scheduled the interview (assuming they didn't just leave a message for you) that you had a class today. Like I said, reliability is huge. You really need to show you can be there for them, so if they give you another time for an interview, know that you likely can't re-reschedule and get the job.

Good luck.
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself. Act normal. Be confident and cheerful. That's all they want.

Good luck.