Should I be losing more

Options
I've been consistently logging into MFP for twenty days and following all of the rules. I've lost one pound in 20 days. I'm very happy for the one pound loss, but I'm getting very discouraged and felt like I should be further along. Any suggestions? I'm exercising consistently. I do have some meals that aren't the healthiest mainly due to convenience but always try to stay in the calorie range. I have significantly increased my exercise over the last two months, as I've finally recovered from a back injury. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for thyroid issues or any other metabolic disorders?

How much water do you drink?

How many rest days do you have a week?

Are you taking measurements?

What kind of workouts are you doing?
  • cmalmasy
    cmalmasy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well I'm kinda thinking I need to be tested again. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing anything or doing something with my diet and exercise before going to see my doctor. I do have PCOS but have always been able to keep my weight down. I successfully lost the pregnancy weight gain with my first pregnancy, but am really having a hard time with the second pregnancy (twins followed by pelvic girdle dysfunction that really kept me from exercising for a whole year postpartum).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Measure consistently and log every stupid thing. Mayonaise, salad dressing, and half and half in your coffee can add hundreds of calories per day. Mis-estimation of portion size is huge.

Even though I am not sedentary, I found I needed to set my 'baseline' at sedentary and log my exercise to lose. It may be my age or it may just be more accurate. Once I did that, the pounds rolled off, as the MFP 'model' fit my body better.
  • cmalmasy
    Options
    More info: I usually walk for 45-60 minutes while pushing a double jogger (4 mph) alternating with running on the treadmill at 5.0 mph for 30 mins. I take two rest days a week but not consecutively. I haven't taken measurements good suggestion that may be s good thing to track. My water is pretty good especially on the days I exercise. It could be better on the days I don't exercise. I've just begun some strength training exercises this week and hoping that will help.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Twenty days isn't a terribly long time, all things considered, especially when dealing with PCOS as well as trying to eat better and exercise more. Shadow2soul's questions and implied points are good; you could be seeing progress in ways that aren't immediately apparent on the scale.
  • NicholeGaertner
    Options
    I didn't start losing weight until I added in the strength training myself. The more muscle you have the more you burn when you do cardio. Also, abs are made in the kitchen... cut out the convenient meals for a week and see if that helps? I hate being on platues... so discouraging. Hang in there!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising long, or just started, or recently significantly modified it?

The reason I ask is because when you start an exercise regimen, your body will put more water/nutrients in the muscles to keep them prepared for the exercising, this can sometimes make it appear you aren't losing right away. It will happen if you start a strength training regimen as well. Which I encourage you to do.

So don't get discouraged if the "scale" doesn't adequately reflect your progress if you are just now getting into exercise.

You also need to ensure you are being accurate with your food logging and your exercise calorie logging. This is usually the biggest culprit....eyeballing servings doesn't work..they must be weighed/measured to be accurate.

Good Luck in your weightloss! You got this!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Measure consistently and log every stupid thing. Mayonaise, salad dressing, and half and half in your coffee can add hundreds of calories per day. Mis-estimation of portion size is huge.

Even though I am not sedentary, I found I needed to set my 'baseline' at sedentary and log my exercise to lose. It may be my age or it may just be more accurate. Once I did that, the pounds rolled off, as the MFP 'model' fit my body better.

^This was my experience exactly. I had to set it to sedentary and log exercise as well. I couldn't do the TDEE-20% thing that everybody raves about because my TDEE changes all the time. I'm not consistent on activity (one day I'm couch surfing, the next I'm running 10 miles, then who knows what I'm doing the next day...) so I have to set it at the basic couch potato level and then when I exercise I add the calories and EAT them. The MFP way works perfectly for me.
  • cmalmasy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement and suggestions! I went ahead and changed the settings to sedentary and will see how that works. I did buy a food scale but haven't used it yet. Honestly I was a little scared and thought- am I seriously going to be this compulsive?? I guess I need to be in order to accurately know what I am putting into my body. Prior to having three babies in a matter of 17 months I was in very good shape and my body was strong. I'm ready to start feeling like myself again so I will do whatever it takes to get there
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You might not have to stay obsessive with the scale. Once you get a feel for portion sizes and such you might be able to get away with estimating some or all of the time. But for now while your trying to nail down a possible problem with your strategy it's probably a good idea.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

^This was my experience exactly. I had to set it to sedentary and log exercise as well. I couldn't do the TDEE-20% thing that everybody raves about because my TDEE changes all the time. I'm not consistent on activity (one day I'm couch surfing, the next I'm running 10 miles, then who knows what I'm doing the next day...) so I have to set it at the basic couch potato level and then when I exercise I add the calories and EAT them. The MFP way works perfectly for me.

Yep. And I love the data. It helps me make better choices.