Moore, OK tornado how do I lose weight now?

Options
I live in Moore, OK the tornado missed my house by 3 blocks I have some damage to my house but very minor so very lucky. I have no electricity or gas, finally got water back yesterday. I'm so terrifed of gainning back my weight I have lost over 55 pounds right now my diet is pretty much on hold but I'm trying to watch what I eat. I can't cook because of no electric or gas we are getting food from family and shelters so I can't really be choosy and say I need low calorie/fat I'm thankful for what we are getting. I can't get to they gym because of power lines are down and the streets are still closed and what streets are open is taking hours to get anywhere, I live 12 min from my moms house and today it took 1 1/2 hours to get there the closest park is right around the corner from me and I could even walk there but its closed due to down power lines and trees. Tomorrow I'm going to try and start walking/joggin in my neighbrood but there is still tons of debri in the streets and sidewalks. I can push my 18 month old daughter in her stroller but my almost 5 year old will have to ride his tricycle which means he goes slow and stops to look at alot of stuff so should I just try and get what excerise I can right now which isn't much and just be thankful for what food we have and not worry about calories. The only reason I'm even posting this is because I'm such a stress eater and I'm very thankful for having a house and my family is safe. God Bless Oklahoma and all the families that don't have a house or lost loved ones!!

Replies

• shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Honey, take a few days off your diet and concentrate on getting your life back in order. I think you have enough to stress about without adding calorie counting to the mix.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for the hell your city is going through. I experienced something similar over 10 years ago, although not nearly as bad as the one you guys got, it practically destroyed the small town I lived in. Just do what you can until things are cleaned up and keep your chin up!
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you are okay and that you sustained little damage to your property- but with all that you have going on I'm thinking just do your best. If someone donated a casserole or something, just pay attention to the portion. And if you can walk around your neighborhood that will help some- and for sure when you can get in on the rebuilding stage- that will probably burn a lot of calories! You could also do body weight exercises- squats, lunges, push ups etc- while there's daylight and that wouldn't need power.

Not telling you what to do, but I think I'd go into maintenance mode and let the rebuilding and recovery of your life to get some normalcy back take precedence.

I'm in NE OK and trust me when I say our hearts and mines are with you.
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    If you want to put that energy into something positive to help your neighbors, picking up debris burns a BUNCH of calories. Don't worry about the food so much right now, focus on good, positive, work and you'll be fine. Bless you.
  • DanetteZUMBAqueen
    Options
    First off happy you & your family are ok & my condolences to moore oklahoma community who lost lives yall are in my prayers!!! Ok i see how that can be difficult & stressful about eating conditions i would just eat small portions even if u cant cook just snacking and lots of water , i would just run in place & do situps, push ups jump in jacks like 30 min intervals all can be done at home at least your eating right thats good enough but if u do atleast 30 min of short cardio it will help out . Best of luck to you & your community ...prayers from me, Danette
    Pasadena tx.<3
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about the damages. I used to lived on Durant, Ok for 8 years and i do know how the storms are up there. I pray for the town of Moore and the people in it for safety and help that you and everyone needs. I would just do what you can and try and wait until some things get cleared up and just pay attention to you and your family.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you, your family, neighbors-everyone in your area and the surrounding areas. You must be incredibly frightened, having lived through a situation most of us will never face.

Until you are able to find some stability, do the best you can with what you have to work with. If you are able to exercise-walks, whatever-anything at all, not only will it help to mitigate any excess calories that you would not normally eat, it can also help you mentally-all those brain chemicals that exercise helps the brain to get into your system. And even though it sounds corny, it may help you feel some sense of empowerment, since you are able to be in charge of your activity level. Eventually life will become closer to what you would expect it to look like, and when the utilities and resources normalize, you'll be able to get back on track again.

Best wishes to you and you know we are all keeping everyone there in OK in our thoughts.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    So glad you and your family made it through this. Agree with the others, I wouldn't put the diet as priority. You just survived an incredibly deadly wicked storm event. Do your best but don't beat yourself up if you indulge. Comfort food is called that for a reason. :smile: However, when things settle down and return to some sort of normal, you also want to return to normal. In order to minimize the scale shock later on, maybe you don't want the cinnamon roll but a cuddle session with the hubby or the babies. Many hugs and prayers to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you and your family are safe! I'm with everyone, I wouldn't stress over counting calories right now. Try and make the healthiest choice available to you, and portion control on what isn't healthy.

I know myself, and a lot of people from my church are contributing funds for Moore via " Convoy Of Hope, " and will continue to Keep all involved in our prayers!
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    OMG!! My 2 younger brothers live in Edmond with their families, and we used to live in Tulsa. I can't imagine what you went through when the sirens went off. The closest we came to a tornado was a microburst that left damage to our roof there in Tulsa; it was very scary!!!

While you are trying to cope with the loss & tragedy that happened in your town, try to eat as many fruits & veggies as possible + drink your water. In place of the gym, just try to be active around the house as much as possible. (((Hugs))) to you and your family!!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you and your family are okay. I'd suggest doing the best you can. You can't control the foods you eat, but you can control things like portion size. Take care of yourself, your family, and community and just do your best.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is right about focusing on getting things stable and not worrying to much about your diet for the moment. However. I think if you have an internet connection it's best to keep logging even if it is food you wouldn't normally eat and even if you don't know the calories. It isn't to keep track of what you are eating so much or to even be accurate. It is to keep the habit of logging. I know from experience of stress events that once I lose a habit it's very hard to pick it up again. So, even if you are off by hundreds of calories the important thing is you did log and when things are better you won't have to worry about renewing your good habits they will already be in place, but the difference is you will have more control over what you have to eat and how much and what exercise you can do.

The idea of helping with the clean up is a good one if someone can help you with your kids. If not your idea of walking with your kids is a very very good idea. It's hard to see all the destruction, but it's also good to see what efforts are being made to make things right. You will be able to have that connection to your community this way. You will see your neighbors and that is also a good thing. And it will help your kids even to reduce stress and that is good for everyone including you, cuz stressed out kids are a bit harder to handle.

I can only imagine how horrible it is for you right now. I have seen minor storm damage like downed trees and power lines and roofs partially blown off of houses and that is bad enough. From what I have seen in the news it's like the town got bombed, really bad stuff. But, being active and eating as well as you can will help and trying to keep up with a routine and keeping with building good habits like logging will also help. I really wish I would have stuck to my advise when I was younger, I wouldn't have the issues I have now. Good luck and don't be hard on yourself if you do slip up in the coming days, I am sure you are going to do the best you can.
  • Tinapopo
    Tinapopo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone I wouldn't worry about your weightthe prayers go out to you and your family in your community
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, I think now that some of the shock has worn off and I can actually think straight alot of this makes sense like smaller portions which I already did, jogging in place just simple excersises in my home. I think I'm just so use to going to the gym that I feel like I'm not burning any calories doing simple things at home. I have actually been on a weight loss plateau because I was doing 1200 calories and I upped my calories to 1500 and still haven't lossed any weight in the past 2 weeks so maybe this little break and simple exccersises will help with the plateau. Thank you for all the kind and encouraging words, I'm praying that we get our power back soon and maybe by the first of next week they will have alot of the road opened back up to where maybe I can get back to the gym I know this would do me and my kids good just trying to get a little normal things back. Again thank you so much!!!!
  • soonergirl03
    Options
    Oh and if it wassn't for my cell phone and or my husband lap time I really think I would go crazy right now, funny how we have come to rely on things that didn't even exist 20 years ago!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: You have learned a Lot Of Lessons on your Journey to losing the 55 pounds. Keep those Lessons in the Front of Your Mind -- Portion Control, Not Skipping Meals, Drinking Water, NOT Drinking Your Calories, etc. Get some new Types of Exercise with the Clean Up and Walking when and where you Safely can.

:drinker: And remember We Will All Be here cheering you on!!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    So glad you and your family are okay. You must live near my aunt, as the tornado missed her place by about 1 block. So scary.

You've lost 55 pounds, that's amazing. You are not going to gain it back in a week, a month, or however long it takes to get back on track. Right now worry about your family and your community. If you can still eat healthy and work out that's great, but I really don't think it needs to be a #1 priority at this time.

The only thing I would suggest is, if you really want to work out but can't get outside, you could always do a workout routine at home... jumping jacks, pushups, planks, crunches, squats, mountain climbers, high knees, etc etc.

Also I have no idea how this stuff works but if they're looking for volunteers to help clean up the wreckage, maybe you could help out for a couple hours a day? Then you're assisting the community AND you're sure to burn some calories.

I wish you and those around you the best and hope you get back to normal soon. Living in Florida, I've been through some awful 'canes and have seen how long it can take to get back to a regular life amongst such destruction. Just take it one day at a time.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I just try and get what excerise I can right now which isn't much and just be thankful for what food we have and not worry about calories. The only reason I'm even posting this is because I'm such a stress eater and I'm very thankful for having a house and my family is safe. God Bless Oklahoma and all the families that don't have a house or lost loved ones!!

I am praying for you right now, and I thank God that you and your family are safe and have shelter. As for the rest, it will all come together again. In the meantime, you need to take care of yourself and your children as best you can.

As someone pointed out, you can take time to help others around you. If that is not possible with your family responsibilities, then spend time 'playing with your children'. Keeping up with little ones takes energy and will burn calories. Create activities with them which will help you to 'work out' your Mommy muscles.

As for you being a 'stress eater', I think that you can safely say..."I WAS a stress eater, but I AM a new person now. I AM stronger. I AM a survivor. Food DOES NOT rule my life anymore."
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

As someone pointed out, you can take time to help others around you. If that is not possible with your family responsibilities, then spend time 'playing with your children'. Keeping up with little ones takes energy and will burn calories. Create activities with them which will help you to 'work out' your Mommy muscles.

As for you being a 'stress eater', I think that you can safely say..."I WAS a stress eater, but I AM a new person now. I AM stronger. I AM a survivor. Food DOES NOT rule my life anymore."

This ~ I couldn't have said it better! Our prayers sent for you, your family and your entire community. Keep your chin up, your faith strong & know that we here in Dallas have you in our thoughts! :heart:
  • soonergirl03
    Options
    UGh so I went for a walk tonight pushing my daughter in her stroller and we saw 3 snakes, keep in mind I live in the city in a large neighborhood, there is a small creek that goes thru my addition but we don't usually see snakes thru my addition every once in awhile if we had a good rain we might see one on the street close to the creek but never 3 and they wasn't too close to the creek, I'm thinking the tornado has missed with them too. On a positive note I will be able to return to the gym on Tues, I'm so happy about that ready to get make to some normal things!!!!