Cheat days or cheat meals

Options
So I've heard from several people that it is good to take a break from your diet one day a week. Their rational behind this theory is that it confuses the body with the increased calories, almost shocking it resulting in an increase in your metabolism. Now, others Ive talked to say its ok to have a cheat meal once a week. So I'm a little confused, is it safe to have a meal free of calorie counting once a week, or will it slow down my weight loss ,making it harder to loose the weight.....thoughts or ideas anyone.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do meals "free of calorie counting," but I will eat close to maintenance every so often. By every so often, I mean that some weeks I have 2 days like that and other weeks I don't. Like tonight (still 5/22 for me), I'm going to eat close to maintenance and the only reason is because my hubby made BBQ ribs. I'm still going to count the calories from the meal, it's just going to be about 500 over my normal calorie goal.

I don't feel it has slowed my weight loss, but I have a lot to lose and I've never really tried not doing it.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" meals, mostly because I eat what I enjoy at any chosen meal. With the caveat - due to a medical condition grain products are OUT of my life forever, so even if I want those, I can't have.

However, with that said, if you want to have a day/meal higher in calories and it would send you over your goal, remember that it takes 3500 calories to add or subtract a pound. If you spread that out over the week, then you can have a day or meal that puts you over your daily goal without harming your general weekly loss so long as you are at or under your WEEKLY goal. Again, a condition here - if you have triggers that cause over indulgence, having these types of meals or days too often may be detrimental for the long term. If you use them as treats, or known events (weddings, major holidays) you can work with and around them to keep things on track.

Hope this helps.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't really have cheat days or cheat meals; I just plan for the fact that some days I'll be eating worse than others XD. For example, I know that every Thursday, I'll be going to Wendy's for a grilled chicken burger and fries because my son has therapy that day and we're done by lunch time and he adores the chicken nuggets. And on the occasional day when I do over calorie, I don't sweat it; after all, you cannot gain pounds from going over calorie once in a while!

Besides, this is supposed to be a lifestyle change and hey, no one is going to give up treats for the rest of their lives! It's just a matter of planning for it (at least somewhat) and making sure they are TREATS, not every day things.

I don't know about confusing one's metabolism, but it does feel good to have some ice cream, some ribs or a cooler every once in a while and that's why I do it! As long as I'm not doing it every day and I'm not flinging myself over calorie every day, it's all good :)
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    The body will soon adapt to whatever meal plan and exercise that you do. It is good to continue to change depending on what goals you are trying to accomplish. In the beginning I did 6 days on 1 day off. Then gradually I moved to 7 days on with 1 cheat meal. From there I moved to 13 days on 1 day off and then 14 days 1 cheat meal. I realized the more than anything I was creating a new way of living that help me reach my goal sooner. I also craved cheat meals less and less which is really what go us to this point at one time. I would say set yourself the goal of what you want to accomplish. then reward yourself with a meal from time to time. It will confused the body temporary and will also help your recognize what you have done and give more motivation do to more.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    So I've heard from several people that it is good to take a break from your diet one day a week. Their rational behind this theory is that it confuses the body with the increased calories, almost shocking it resulting in an increase in your metabolism. Now, others Ive talked to say its ok to have a cheat meal once a week. So I'm a little confused, is it safe to have a meal free of calorie counting once a week, or will it slow down my weight loss ,making it harder to loose the weight.....thoughts or ideas anyone.

On Wednesday, I have a day where I eat around maintenance calories. I do Weight Watchers, I tracked my calories here today just to see what my calories actually were and found I eat around maintenance the day I eat my Weekly Points . Every other day I eat around 1700 calories to lose weight or two lbs a week loss on Myfitnesspal. I still lose 2 lbs a week even with the regular calorie day.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It will be what ever works for you. I do 2 cheat days in a row every other week, but that is me and I don't go way over my goal. It does help but it spikes hunger/craving for a few days after, so if you have a hard time controlling urges you may not want to introduce them until you know how to better control your appetite. Good luck.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    cheat meal once a week or cheat day ever 2 weeks, you can keep it clean and have a refeed day
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I do cheat meals about every two weeks or so - usually when I go out with friends - not that I go particularly crazy but I pick something from the menu that looks good and don't question the calorie content. Usually this is on a weekend when I have more time to work out too.

I don't do cheat days because given a whole day I will pack every unhealthy item known to man in my body during that 24 hour period.