How do you know what your ideal weight is?

Options
I have now lost around 34lbs and currently weigh around 11 stone and I am 5ft 7in. I am not that well built, I have powerful legs but a really week upper body.

My question is, how do you know what your ideal weight is? My wife thinks I look too skinny now especially in the face but my stomach is still flabby as is my chest area. I think I need to lose a bit more more weight as well as start building up a bit of upper body strength and definition but was wondering what you guys think?

Do I need to lose a bit more or should I forget the scales and concentrate on building up muscle and toning up? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Chris

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    i dont have an ideal weight though i wouldnt want to be under 150lbs but i do have an ideal bodyfat percentage of 8%
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Is your profile pic a current one? If so, I don't think your face looks too skinny. It looks healthy to me! If you still have a bit of flab but you feel like you'd like to build up your upper body, you could try putting yourself on maintenance at this point and work on strength training. You probably won't be able to build muscle on a deficit, but on maintenance you should be able to change your body composition from fatter to leaner and develop some nice definition (it worked for me.) You'll lose fat while preserving and revealing the muscle underneath. Of course, if you want to build up into one of these big, bulky dudes they got around here you have to eat above maintenance, but I'm not sure that's your goal...Good luck!
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    If I were you, I would start lifting weights. Check out "StrongLifts 5X5". It is basically what we did back in the mid 60's. It is simple, structured and will strengthen your whole body in a very efficient manner. 154 is the weight class I competed in @ 17 years old until I hit a growth spurt and went up to176 lb weight class. I would say 154 is a good weight for you right now though that may change when you start lifting.
  • chrisoldroyd
    chrisoldroyd Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Jenilla1 That is exactly what I wanted to hear, I am not looking to bulk up just a bit of muscle definition.

Fatjakes5 I will have a look at the StrongLifts 5X5 thank you

Chris
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I started off at over 14 stone and set my goal as 12st7 just because that was the weight I felt suited me best in the past.
    When I got there I realised I'm not carrying as much muscle as I used to in my 20's and so have dropped to 12st2.

Really my goals are now based on:
    1/ bodyfat percentage for health
    2/ strength and aerobic performance for fitness
    3/ the mirror for vanity.

If I'm happy with these three markers then whatever weight that happens to be will be my ideal weight.

It sounds like you should get your bodyfat percentage checked and start strength training to get to the body composition you will be happy with.
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Really my goals are now based on:
    1/ bodyfat percentage for health
    2/ strength and aerobic performance for fitness
    3/ the mirror for vanity.

If I'm happy with these three markers then whatever weight that happens to be will be my ideal weight.

It sounds like you should get your bodyfat percentage checked and start strength training to get to the body composition you will be happy with.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think you have to go with what feels good and not a 'magic number'. I have been 160lbs and felt too small (I'm 5'7) but at 170lbs I felt wonderful. I like to be strong with some curves so for me, 167-170 is where I want to be. Other women my height would feel that 170 is too big, so it's just down to personal preference.

Go with how you feel - and congrats on all that weight loss!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Jenilla1 That is exactly what I wanted to hear, I am not looking to bulk up just a bit of muscle definition.

Fatjakes5 I will have a look at the StrongLifts 5X5 thank you

Chris

just bc you're building muscle, doesn't mean you'll end up bulky. if your bf% is low enough, then your muscle will show through.

what you need to do is a slight surplus in calories. eat at maintenance for a few weeks, so your body can adjust,
    then add 50 calories/day. wait 2 weeks, keep adjusting until you start gaining, keeping in mind, when you gain muscle
    you'll also gain fat, often an equal amount of both, and you'll have tons of extra water retention and glycogen making you feel bigger than you really are.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-2.html
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts#The_Accessory_Exercises
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-mistakes.html
    here's another routine, great for putting on muscle or cutting.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Instead of losing weight, try gaining muscle. Your upper body will look better. Strength training it is.