My story-a little different

Options
amy1612
amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
So this isnt your run of the mill success story, I havent lost a large amount of weight. I havent updated my ticker in forever. Im posting this over from facebook, which is why the format may seem a little strange as I had tagged people in it. Hopefully some of you can identify with it :)

Today is a very special day for me. One year ago today, I decided to start lifting heavy, a decision I really didn't know could impact on me in so many different ways.

All I'd ever wanted was to be skinny. After I lost weight I'd spend a good couple of hours in the gym every day, desperately trying to get thinner. Trying to stick to that golden '1200' calories a day, eating low carb, eating low fat. My body never really changed after the initial weightloss. I just sort of stayed the same, and it seemed like a constant uphill battle.

I decided I was going to be a runner, runners are lean right? I did my first run, 5k, and was quite pleased with myself. Then I sprained my ankle. The next day. The first thing that went through my mind (apart from £$%^*!!!) was 'Im not going to be able to run tomorrow'. And I couldnt, not the next day, or the next week, or the next month. Torn ligaments are no friend of running

I'm not going to pretend that I started heavy lifting with a noble cause...I wanted to get stronger, but my main goal was to get 'ripped' and look like those other strong, lean girls. So I started 5x5 and slowly but surely I started to get a little stronger. And a little leaner. I added the 'fitness girls' pages on facebook, and followed their 'motivational' posts. And then things started to change.

The first time I noticed was walking out of a shop with some yoghurt's and realising I hadn't looked at the calorie count.

Then I discovered Nerd Fitness. I was linked to the article about Stacy, and couldnt get enough. I continued doing 5x5 and finished in August. I started working on my lifting form more, trying to get stronger and stronger. I have a lot to thank nerd fitness for, not only is the site inspiring, but a link in an article led me to a site which has genuinely changed my life. In September of last year I followed a link to Lift Big Eat Big. Something caught me. I'd always wanted to be less, and here was something telling me I could be more, so much more. Out went the fitness girls and 'strong is the new skinny' (which seems to only really still apply to you if you are actually skinny....if youre Kristin Rhodes you're still missed out on all the 'inspirational' photos) and in came the whole milk. H3 Performance Nottingham opened and I became unstoppable. With the support and friendship of some amazing people! I♥ you all.

I went from average, to skinny, to, well, Now. My body is stronger, leaner, faster and BIGGER. I weigh more now than when I started his journey (and I'm still wearing the same clothes size, go figure). My deadlift has increased by 65kg in a year. I'm inspired by strong women (and men), who are genuinely strong. Who eat, who love, who WORK! You all know who you are.

I just want to say thank you, to everyone who has inspired me and supported me on this journey. I finally feel sane about food AND exercise for the first time since, well, ever. And I cant wait to see what the next year has in store

Replies

• MikeBrusiaHart
    Options
    that is a very nice story and its still a success so a very well done to you :)
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Great progress...
  • amy1612
    Options
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I love your story! Thank you for sharing. I totally creeped on your profile pics to see if you had before/ afters... And I must say, your pic of the puppy in the bun is hilarious!!! Your personal pictures are amazing! Great job!
  • cdefries
    cdefries Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    WOW! You look amazing and so STRONG! Thanks!
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Awesome :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Very well done, Amy. I hope I have similar results to show after a year.
  • amy1612
    Options
    All you've got to do is find something you really enjoy and stick with it :)
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I am slowly teetering toward beginning to lift and I found this inspiring. I also creeped your profile and I must say nice pole work!
  • amy1612
    Options
    I love pole, and lifting has definitely improved my strength there too :)
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You just told my story too :) MFP has a way of showing us all these awesome tools that eventually get us on track. I wonder how many other people go through this exact same process? Congrats on all your success! Hopefully it will inspire others to pick up something heavy.
  • kmd613
    kmd613 Posts: 42
    Options
    LOVE YOUR STORY! Congratulations on finding the journey that works for you. I started heavy lifting a month ago and love it too... getting stronger changes more than just your body!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I totally creeped your profile photos also. Now I wanna take up pole dancing. Wow--you have to be strong to do some of those moves! Congrats :)
  • amy1612
    Options
    LOVE YOUR STORY! Congratulations on finding the journey that works for you. I started heavy lifting a month ago and love it too... getting stronger changes more than just your body!

It really does doesnt it :)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think you look AMAZING!!!! LOVE your pics!!! Great job!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a fantastic post, I'm glad you shared your story, great job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!