Stitch in my side while running

Options
fShaw86
fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
Every time I run faster or harder than I normally do, I get this extremely painful "stitch" in my side. Like, right around my rib cage, and that forces me to drop my running speed down.

Does this happen to anyone else? What do I do? I enjoy running more than I enjoy squats and lunges and stuff!

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Is it always the same side?
  • fShaw86
    Options
    Yep, usually the right!
  • lindychristinaallen
    Options
    I LOVE to run and have found that when I get a stitch it is because my breathing has gotten shallow. Take a few complete, deep breaths and see if that helps. It always works for me. And I don't even have to stop.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I find that if I get a stitch on one side, it will usually go away quite quickly if I deliberately breathe out harder to get rid of excess carbon dioxide. Also, stamping my foot down harder on the side with the stitch for a few metres helps me.
    Also eating too soon before running can sometimes bring on a stitch for me.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it's "normal" side stitching.
    It's usually caused by a wrong breathing technique. Try inhaling through your nose & exhaling through your mouth when that happens. It might help if you put your arms up by doing so.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    slow down and breathe
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I always get a stitch in my right side too when I run, I always wondered what ways there were to help fix it other than 'just wait it out'. Good info. :)
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have found that gripping my thumb in my fist seems to help. No idea why, reading this trail I will try the breathing.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    Just keep going. As someone said up there though concentrate on getting rid of carbon dioxide and breathe out hard for a bit and concentrate on getting your breathing under control. Pain wise it's a case of sucking it up I'm afraid - I had stitch for about 2 and a half miles on my half marathon x
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    It has NOTHING to do with carbon dioxide. I frequently do hypoxic intervals of heavy cardio while holding my breath. No side stitch. I do this while running, rope skipping, or swimming. Hard.

It is all about posture. Posture is the biggest factor determining how well you breathe, and most likely yours is smooshing down, your ribs are not moving enough, and your diaphragm is restricted as well.

I highly recommend some Alexander technique, but you can always try to focus on staying upright and exhaling as much as you inhale. However to really get at the problem, you need to address your posture.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and on the NHS podcasts they recommend drinking quite a lot of water before you start and I've found that really helps me along with checking my posture and making sure I'm breathing in fully. If I'm working hard sometimes I forget to breath!
  • fShaw86
    Options
    I'm guessing it has something to do with breathing, after all. As a person who is prone to asthma attacks, I end up breathing the wrong way, I guess! Will re-check this soon. Thanks guys!

I don't eat or drink anything before I work out. Could be that? Not enough hydration? Working out is the first thing I do after I wake up. Well okay, I brush my teeth and stuff... but yeah.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I usually get a stitch in my right side. It almost always happens when I am pushing myself - ie when I have run for longer than previously or I try and get in a few higher speed minutes. The only thing that works for me is too slow my pace for a bit :(
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and on the NHS podcasts they recommend drinking quite a lot of water before you start and I've found that really helps me along with checking my posture and making sure I'm breathing in fully. If I'm working hard sometimes I forget to breath!

OMG that would cause a trip either to the toilet or back home very fast, running full of water would cause such leakage that I'd not run. I run empty, fully empty of any water or food.... or I have to run near a toilet.

But then I've never had a stitch at all.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I drink around 1litre of water before I run but then I am camel like in my abiilty to retain fluids! I don't eat unless I'm running for more than 40 minutes first thing in the morning or running later in the day. For example, yesterday I just had water but this Saturday when parkrun isn't until 9am, I'll have porridge and a banana at 7am and then drink water just before the race.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have read in several places that "stomach" breathing (has lots of other names including diaphragmatic breathing) can help prevent and "cure" stitches. Don't know how true it is, but it's what I try to do.
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm not a medic, but I do know, that for me, focussing on breathing deeply fixes it. I can't seem to stomach breathe while running (even though it is my 'natural' breathing style), but taking deep breaths (counting out with steps ie. three steps in, three steps out) works wonders.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Isn't stich basically a muscle cramping? Search for side stitch on wikipedia
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I usually get a stitch in my right side. It almost always happens when I am pushing myself - ie when I have run for longer than previously or I try and get in a few higher speed minutes. The only thing that works for me is too slow my pace for a bit :(

Watch a boxer's hands and posture as they get into the late rounds of a title fight.

When you push yourself, the first thing to go is often your posture, which will really mess with the breath,

I say this as a professional singer who makes a living controlling his breathing.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to other people. That is why there's a word for it.