Calling TDEE experts

Options
myriddian
myriddian Posts: 186 Member
Question,
What is the lowest % below TDEE that is safe to eat.
I have been put on a 1200 cal diet as part of a plan and it's really not working for me.
First week was fine, now I'm VERY unwell, and I cant help but think it's because I've been eating too little, Just after I started I was given a fitbit for my birthday, so lets take today for example.

Fitbit tells me that so far today my total calorie burn is 1708 calories,
80% of the TDEE would be 1366 calories,
By keeping to the 1200 cal diet my TDEE would be just over 70%
Being unwell and spending the majority of the day in training has made for a VERY sedentary day, so on those days I am very active I'm REALLY concerned about the low calories

Is this healthy? or should I go with my gut and be aiming for that 80% instead of sticking to 1200 calories
(please no haters on the 1200 thing, I know 1200 isn't good, but when you pay for a program from a professional I assumed it would be ok)

Replies

• learninmama
    learninmama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I think you need to listen to your body which sounds like you are eating too little.
  • Catfish83
    Catfish83 Posts: 8
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Scooby is the man. Poke around his site a little bit and I assume you will want to fire this "professional" who has you eating next to nothing. 1200 sounds far too low to me.

Good luck and I hope you start feeling better! :)
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Definitely use a TDEE calc like scooby's, and also, if you feel rubbish, eat something. Have a 'cheat day' (I hate that term). If I feel unwell I will eat over my goal. Chances are your body is burning more trying to make you well again, and one day will not hurt!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

ALWAYS eat at least your BMR :flowerforyou:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I eat maintenance calories at a 0 activity level and I exercise 5-7x a week and that puts me at my deficit.
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know 1200 isn't good, but when you pay for a program from a professional I assumed it would be ok)

I think the trouble is that these 'professionals' make a living from getting results - putting you on really low calories and making you work out to within an inch of your life will probably get those results (like on The Biggest Loser). What do they care if you feel ill for the 6 weeks you are on their 'programme', if afterwards they can chalk up another 'success' ...??

Go with your instincts...tell you trainer you feel lousy and that it's your opinion you need to up the calories to lose safely....illness is probably your bodies way of saying FEED ME!!!!

Good luck :)
  • sarajcurrie
    sarajcurrie Posts: 11
    Options
    With this site if you do any exercise you can log it and get the extra calories to eat, and should eat. You might want to see if the same applies to the plan your on. If not I would be very concerned and suggest you double check what you are doing with your doctor just to make sure its safe. If the doctor is ok with it then thats fine but it sounds like your body is very unhappy.
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Scooby is the man. Poke around his site a little bit and I assume you will want to fire this "professional" who has you eating next to nothing. 1200 sounds far too low to me.

scooby> step #8. what % would you suggest I put for macros? I'm a female losing weight.
  • myriddian
    Options
    I was having great sucess with 40%, 20%, 20%
  • Catfish83
    Catfish83 Posts: 8
    Options

scooby> step #8. what % would you suggest I put for macros? I'm a female losing weight.

There is nothing set in stone as far as percentages. Everyone will like something different I prefer 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fat. A lot of fitness professionals will set 40/40/20 as a good starting point and say to adjust from there. As long as you stay in a deficit, the weight will go down.
  • myriddian
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone, I think I'll be upping my calories once I'm feeling better
    I'll still follow the meal plans but bulk it out as much as I can

Your right about the success stories!
    I have lost weight but I feel that it's not sustainable but once it's over they don't care
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Depends what "safe" means. For an obese person a 50% (or greater) reduction for 6-8 weeks is used medically. Biggest loser must be similar given their exercise levels. Getting adequate nutrition across the spectrum is more difficult as you go lower, so min/vit supplements may be used.
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    40 20 20 DOES NT EQUAL 100% OF UR MACROS MYRIDDIAN. DNT U MEAN 40 40 20?
  • myriddian
    Options
    40 20 20 DOES NT EQUAL 100% OF UR MACROS MYRIDDIAN. DNT U MEAN 40 40 20?

Actually I meant, 40carb: 30 protein: 30: fat
    Brain certainly not at capacity :(