Training tips for running a 5K

Options
I signed up about 6 months ago to run a 5K with my brother in October. Of course...being a procrastinator I haven't even started running yet. I have never been a runner. I need to know some good training ideas for running a 5K. I really want to do this and not have to walk the whole thing!! I tried couch-5K earlier this year and I didn't really like the program. Maybe I just needed to do it more days a week instead of only 3. I didn't feel like I was progressing like I wanted to, and then ended up getting frustrated and quit. If anyone has good tips or good sites for me to look at let me know!! Thanks!

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would start by training outside. I trained for one and it snuck up on me and hadn't had any time to train outside. Since I was so use to a treadmil it killed my left foot. I would maybe give the c25k program another try. Or a similar program. They really are great and help ease you into becoming a runner. I couldn't run for more then 10 seconds when I started, now I'm running for 30 minutes. Good luck on the 5k!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    take ur time with the runnin, it'll come. when u're doin the race take ur time then 2.

when i did my first race i would run 1 block then walk another. also i would run downhill but walk uphill. u've got plenty of time 2 finish it.

time how long u currently take 2 do a mile & then multiply it by 3. then u'll have an idea of how long u'll take 2 do the 5k.

& remember 2 have fun. i'm currently trainin 4 a half-marathon that i'll b doin in dec, but won't start officially trainin 4 it until sept. i'll b runnin abt 5-6times a wk then.

don't run when u're in pain also. if it doesn't feel right then stop.
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Maybe I will try couch to 5K again. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time. I would love to enjoy running. And I am so envious of people who go out everyday and love to run and can whip out several miles like its nothing!! Someday I will get there lol
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    In addition to straight distance work, devote at least 1 day a week to sprints. Think short distances -- 100m or even the distance from home plate to 1st base. I'd say start with just a few sprints and work up to 10-12 max.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If you didn't like the C25K try this one. This is part of another really popular series.

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K Training/5-Knovice.htm

Or try this one. It looks kind of interesting.

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/your-first-5K-race.html

Here is an article with a program and some good info.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6028

Hope it helps. Good Luck.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Also, here is an interesting forum topic:

A common question: why do people drop out during C25K?

http://c25k.com/finishing.htm
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    I did C5k and it was definitely slow to start, didn't feel like it was doing anything and I felt like "why bother" - but starting about week 4 it started showing it's stuff and was really hard weeks 5 and 6. I ended up pulling a muscle at the end of week 6 (or beginning of week 7, can't remember) and never went back into it - now I just go out and run for some set amount of time. Once you get to the end weeks, all you're doing is running a set amount of time anyway, so even though I'm not technically following the program I'm doing the same thing.

I have a 5k race this Sat, and after I'm done with that what I was thinking about was doing the C5k program again, but this time use it as intervals to increase my pace - when it says walk, I'll run at a slow pace, when it says run I'll run at a faster pace. Seems like it should work OK.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I agree with vineas - I'm currently in week 4 of the C25K & it is starting to get challenging. It took me about 3 weeks to finish week 1 and then 2 weeks for week 2. After that I restarted at week one & have breezed thru each week. I would definitely give it another chance. And like it says, if you feel you need to do more, don't. Don't push it! Just do the 3 days/week like it says.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Check out this site for tips and great information on what you should/shouldn't eat before the race and training tips. It also lists some of the major marathons that are available. I am considering the Mercedes Marathon in Birmingham, AL in Feb. That gives me 6 months to train. If I can't make it to that one I will DEF be doing it the next year! I should add that I want to train for the 5k...not the full Marathon, which is 26 miles long!!

Here is the site: http://www.active.com/