too many ups and downs with my weight need support

Options
Have been trying to get to my goal weight for 5-6 years. I will lose a couple of pounds then I get bored with the food I am eating and binge all day on junk foods. I need to stop this cycle and can't seem to get it into my head how to be happy with myself even though I have had a set back. Is there anyone out there who has experienced this and how did you get mentally in the right place?

Replies

• missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    perhaps focus on changing your exercise program first. Go for a walk in the sunshine, play golf (idk what you like to do) LIFT WEIGHTS (use your gallon of milk if that's all you have )

AS you feel fitter it may help you make the right food choices. That cake will become a 5 mile walk/jog. It wont seem worth it anymore.

:-)
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    make a little room every day in your calories for small portions of the foods you like to binge on. Like for example, if you really like ice cream...have half to one serving of ice cream for dessert.

In my experience, doing this prevents me from eating an entire half gallon of ice cream over the weekend :)

Also, experiment with healthy foods you have never tried before. It might make things less boring.
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are two main things that really helped me to overcome the issue of throwing in the towel

1. The concept of never breaking the chain - if you can keep up your active lifestyle / healthy eating and make a note every single day on a calendar to mark off your success for that day, you'll be less likely to fall off the wagon when you see each day as part of a long chain of success.

2. Don't see one mistake at any given meal as a big failure. Pick yourself up and keep going. The biggest mistake I always made was to say "oh I've messed up this meal, this whole day is a bust" and then eat like an idiot for the rest of the day. Then it's two days like that, then the whole week is a mess so you just keep going ad nauseum.

Regarding boredom with food, get some recipes, do some research online, cook things in preparation on a Sunday and freeze them.

Try to just not go over calorie goal to begin with, but eating enough protein and eating the right kinds of foods will keep you feeling fuller for longer and less likely to binge. Be easy on yourself. We are humans, not machines. One 'bad' meal, one 'bad' day, it's not going to scupper all of your weightloss efforts.

Be honest about what you are eating, once the weight starts to come off it will be so much easier to keep going. The ability to deal with these frustrations will stand you in good stead when you hit plateaus too!
  • bhertel1659
    bhertel1659 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just some suggestions that helped me. I have an incredible sweat tooth...and have found ways to add in health alternatives that satisfy my cravings. Right now I am using My Fitness Pal and adding in my nightly snack as a reward. The reward entails a chocolate protein drink with a banana and 3 tbsp of peanut butter. It taste like a giant reese cup shake:) I exercise every morning just so I can have it.