Progestogen only pill & weight loss?

Options
I am about to start the progestogen only pill, after having trouble with the combined pill. I'm going to be taking the newest one where you have a 12 hour window, not sure the name of it sorry! Anyway, I'm absolutely terrified I'm going to put weight on. I've been on MFP for nearly a week now and have been loving it, been eating well and excersising, lost 2 pounds so far and have another weigh in on sunday so hoping I may have lost a bit more this week. What have peoples experience been with this pill & weight loss/gain? I'm terrified I'll find it difficult losing weight now I'm going on to it. Although, I suppose if people can lose weight with thryoid problems and PCOS I should be able to too, just a bit worried!

Replies

• lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The progesterone only pill can cause temporary fluctuations in water retention, which settle down in a few weeks. However, I am on it, and have thyroid problems, and am either on crutches or in a wheelchair and I have lost weight! So I am sure you can too! :flowerforyou:
  • CJH2201
    CJH2201 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have been taking the same pill for a month, I have maintained my weight despite having a very bad month with a hell of a lot of take outs and zero exercise. I hope that helps?
  • liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant thankyou, I have no excuse then :P
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The progesterone only pill can cause temporary fluctuations in water retention, which settle down in a few weeks. However, I am on it, and have thyroid problems, and am either on crutches or in a wheelchair and I have lost weight! So I am sure you can too! :flowerforyou:

this^^ I'm on orthomicronor (only a 3 hour window :/) but I did bloat about 4 ish pounds when I started it but after a few weeks it dropped off - I was measuring body fat so I know it was bloating and not fat gain. I do bloat more during that TOM but I haven't gained any actual weight - in fact I've lost 10 pounds since I started taking it.
  • liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options

this^^ I'm on orthomicronor (only a 3 hour window :/) but I did bloat about 4 ish pounds when I started it but after a few weeks it dropped off - I was measuring body fat so I know it was bloating and not fat gain. I do bloat more during that TOM but I haven't gained any actual weight - in fact I've lost 10 pounds since I started taking it.

Thankyou so much. I'll know not to be disheartened if I put on a bit of weight to start with now! Made me feel a lot better :)