What is the spiciest thing you eat?

Options
Mutant13
Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
Any other spice lovers out there?

My partner can hold his own with hot food, but he thinks the level of spice I enjoy is insane. My stepdad and I both enjoy hot food and he and I grew up competing to see who could eat the hottest curries/chilli peppers etc. We both enjoy eating at one resteraunt that makes a proper hot vindaloo (not an easy find) another dish I enjoy is Issan-style Papaya salad, which can be very hot if you eat it in less touristy places.

What about y'all MFP? What hot foods do you like? Have you ever entered a chilli/hot wing eating contest (I've always wanted to, but it's not something that happens much in my area)

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    My normal dinner, chicken with vegies....all in one stir-fry kinda thing...with as much chilli as I can put in. Sriracha sauce, chilli powder (hot as I can buy) also my fresh home grown chillies..... it gets hot. Even milk or greek yoghurt does not cool this down.... ever.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of jalfrezi and madras from brick lane, the former being a surprise sometimes because the chillies are whole with their seeds inside, so if you don't pay attention to what you are eating you can get a surprise.

also thai green curry, spicy mexican food (ive been to mexico, not that tex mex *kitten*), anything really. I haven't had a good spice hit for a while tho.

I bought some chillis recently that didnt seem to work so I put more in, until I had one left. bit into it. it wasn't hot. at all. seeds and all.

what the fork!
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Chicken Madras, I pour hot pepper sauce on everything I eat :)
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome that you and your Dad had spice competitions! The most spicy I get is Chinese Vegetarian Laksa which pretty much brings me to tears, and proper Indian Laksa. So yeah. Laksa. :explode: :laugh:
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm a hot sauce/paste fanatic. I love vindaloo, I ask the server to go ahead and make it extra spicy.

The best part of hot sauce is that it costs basically 0 calories and can mask some very bland, healthy food. Right now I'm working on a bottle of habanero sauce, which certainly gets the job done. If I'm feeling less adventurous then Texas Pete works too. It certainly makes broccoli and spinach more tolerable.

I have yet to try a ghost pepper though. That's on the list.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My own curries

when I was younger, before I had my first baby in fact, I used to eat way hot curries... then when I was pregnant I couldn't tolerate very hot curries although medium curries were fine... loads of people told me not to eat spicy food while pregnant, but my answer to that is that most of the continent of Asia eat spicy food while pregnant and their babies come out fine, i've even known Indian and Pakistani mothers who make spicy baby food and their babies ate it just fine.... so anyway my baby swam in curry flavoured amniotic fluid and drank curry flavoured breastmilk, and she had her first curry when she was 8 months old and vindaloo is a favourite meal of both my kids, although the younger one doesn't like food quite so hot (i.e. she likes flavoursome spicy food that's not to hot) - I ate less curry when pregnant with her, interestingly enough.

anyway, the upshot is that i don't make curry half as hot as I used to, but they're still quite hot and my kids like them too.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of jalfrezi and madras from brick lane, the former being a surprise sometimes because the chillies are whole with their seeds inside, so if you don't pay attention to what you are eating you can get a surprise.

also thai green curry, spicy mexican food (ive been to mexico, not that tex mex *kitten*), anything really. I haven't had a good spice hit for a while tho.

I bought some chillis recently that didnt seem to work so I put more in, until I had one left. bit into it. it wasn't hot. at all. seeds and all.

what the fork!

I hate that! I also get unreasonably annoyed when something is advertised as being "very" hot and it's nowhere near.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I grow my own ghost chili's ever year. We dry them out and use them as seasoning. Does that count??
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Laksa.

Yummy. I was going to post about that.

Yesterday, I bought a whole box of Tom Yum noodles. :happy:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is, if the sauce has come from a supermarket, I have to add chillies or hot sauce to it.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of things that are super spicy, but I do love me some sriracha sauce. I'll put that on anything.
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    Anything, the hotter the better! Used to like getting a fhal (not sure of correct spelling!)

the hottest thing i ever, ever ate was what i call 'the Dave sandwich'. Its just a sausage sandwich but smothered in daves special reserve chilli sauce. To put it in perspective you should use half a teaspoon in a whole batch of food to heat it up. I swear i was almost hallucinating.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bit into a chilli pepper once by mistake.. Could feel my ears burning for like 10 minutes after that. Then I understood why their ears were on fire in cartoons.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I especially like Thai food, but habanero anything is my favorite.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    call me a wimp.. but chili relannos (spelling is way off?) is the hottest I can get.
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love Tiger sauce - it is sweet and hot and is fantastic on grilled chicken
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I grow Thai Dragon chiles and eat them off the vine. Sweet, flavorful chiles. My favorite.

A restaurant in KC used to serve seafood in yellow curry that, if ordered Thai hot, was about at the top of my tolerance. Good sweat inducing stuff.
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well I'm mexican so that pretty sums up my answer right there lol. I eat jalapenos with my cereal!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i like flavorful hot sauce, so i eat , probably normal texas spicy, which is a lot hotter than what i grew up with in wisconsin
    i love the Green tobasco , just a little kick , and great flavor
    the best hot wings i EVER had were made by me, i marinated them overnight in tabasco, mixed with daves insanity sauce, then baked them and basted with more of the same mixture mixed with honey, for that sweet sneaky hot
    , but that was for a hot wings competition at our construction company.. yeah i won....

I love medium, i am not a super hot flavors person-
  • mats613
    mats613 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i enjoy spicing my food, but doesn't anyone find that theres a threshold between bitingly-fun spicey and o-this-is-actually-painful spicey?

i grew up in an askenazic jewish community, where salt and pepper is as feisty as it gets, and if ur grandparents were hungarian maybe some paprika. ashkenazim originate in Europ

however my mother is freespirited, and was a complete nutter when it came to food. she raised us on a variety of vegetarian curries with plenty of cayenne pepper and chili.

none of my friends ever wanted to come for supper :(

then i meta friend with a sephardic backround. Her parents originated in morroco and turkey.
    oooh boy.
    i went to HERS for supper once - steam was coming out of my ears, and my face was beet red lol.