Change of daily target??

Options
My weightloss has slowed, and ive finally chosen to look at my BMR, TDEE and my macros.

I always thought, less going in combined with workouts would lead to weight loss. Ive since found that im using 1500 calories, having a high burn weekly, but the weight loss is slow.

So, ive worked out my BMR (1869), my TDEE (2897), (i have loads to lose), and the calorie intake for me is down as 2172 with macros of 45% protein, 35% carbs, and 20% fat.

Does this seem right? Do i take this leap of faith and increase my calories?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Beth x

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    With your current goal of 1500 calories are you eating your exercise calories back? If not, eat them back.

If you decide to try the higher calories from your TDEE don't weigh yourself for the first week or two. You will gain some weight (water weight, not fat weight) due to the increase of calories. I personally have better losses if I am eating more calories. Any changes you do give them 4-6 weeks before you stop to see what results you will have. You won't get instant results.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Assuming your TDEE is accurate you should lose about a pound a week, which is appropriate. If this is more than you've been consuming (gross, not net) then add 100 calories a day each week until you get to your intake.

How did you decide on your macros? For good health you would want .7-1g of fat per pound of lean body mass; you seem to have have twice what is needed. Fats should be 25-35%. Fat is necessary for the body and is satisfying. What's left over would go to carbs.
  • KristyTonn
    KristyTonn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right with TDEE calculations. I was losing at a nice rate with MFP's suggestion and eating back exercise, but then it stopped....flat-lined.... So I started TDEE-30%. Some people recommend moving up to your new goal gradually, but I just went for it. A few days into TDEE way of calculating, I lost another pound finally. My rate of loss has been a little slower than it initially was with MFP's calculations, but it's been steady.
    Another thing I like it it doesn't seem to be as yo-yo. When I was doing MFP's calculations, I would lose 9, then slide back to 7-8 lost, then slowly get back to 10 lost, then slide back to 8-9 lost etc. Always moving in the right direction, but with more ups and downs. With the TDEE-30%, it just seems to be a steady decrease. May not be associated with MFP vs TDEE, but it's what I"ve noticed.
    I was a little scared to try TDEE (it seemed scary to eat more and still think I could lose...) but I was no longer losing with MFP's way of calculating, and I'm losing again now.
    Another positive note, I'm not as crabby eating more as I was when I was eating less. I would feel stressed after lunch looking at my calories left for supper and evening snack, and feel like I "had to" exercise. Now I exercise because I want to and I know it's good for me, not so I can eat more at supper. :)
  • bethtavern
    bethtavern Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks all.

No i werent eating any of the calories burned...just sticking to my 1500 a day pretty religiously.

So the consensus then seems to be increase the calories, dont weigh for a few weeks, and higher my fat intake. So i'll go 2100, et% protein, 35% carbs and 30% fat.

Scary times!!! Eating more in order to lose weight seems soooo wrong! Lol

Lets do this! :)