Cals burned for 50 yr old female

I am a 50 year old female, I weigh 184 lbs., I use the polar heart rate monitor with chest strap. I hike at a local park up and down hills, with fallen trees to climb over, some to duck under and some streams and ditches to jump across. For 1 hr 48 mins HRM says I burned 823 calories today. Says in zone for 48 mins, average HR was 136 and maximum was 169. Doesn't that sound like an awful lot of calories? I mean how accurate is the polar and should I trust it?? (I am usually inactive, I have an office job. I began hiking about 6 weeks ago 3 days a week, when I got a fitbit. I started 3 weeks ago throwing in a decent workout too the same 3 days). Also should I log cals burned during this time into the fitbit one app?

Thanks for any advice.
Barb

Replies

• HDRockerCgirl
    HDRockerCgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Kristy at Victory Fitness told me that it's unlikely that I burned that amount of calories. That I must give chest strap a good cleaning. If not cleaned thoroughly it would give inaccurate readings. Yesterday for a 2 hour 15 minute workout I burned 980 cals, in the zone for 1 hr 10 mins. Average HR 132 and maximum was 176. At least I know I'm not going to have a heart attack!
    Thank you Kristy!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Neither calorie burn seems impossible to me. It all just depends on how fast you were hiking and how much time you spend going uphill and climbing or jumping over things.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    I am a very heavy woman and I think sometimes people don't believe I am capable of having the burns that I do. I think it is very very possible for you to burn that many calories in that much time. I am quite a lot heavier then you and I burn huge most days, because I use my elliptical, bike, or punching bag. Just because your big it doesn't mean that you can't move. You are doing great work. Keep it up......