Single Serving Meals?

Options
leholcomb
leholcomb Posts: 146 Member
Hello all

Does anyone have any good recipes for healthy meals for one person? I am on my own this weekend and still want to eat good without resorting to takeout chinese or fast food. And yes I know I could just divide the recipes by serving size but I was just curious if any of the other single people out there have any meals they use regularly? I'm trying to increase the size of my recipe box too.

Okay, GO!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hi! I cook for myself most of the time. There are so many possibilities that you can do with a single chicken breast and steamed veggies. If you're craving Chinese, do some terriyaki /asian sauce on your chicken and cook up some broccoli, carrots, peas or anything you like along with it. It will seriously take you 15 minutes to make that. Add some rice and BAM! Healthy meal!

I don't always use them, but when I don't feel like cooking I use my steamer or toaster oven. It's so easy to just put fish/chicken/steak on the nesting basket of the steamer, cover it with vegetables, and press STEAM. It takes about 30 minutes for it to cook you a meal that way. The toaster oven is great for making melted sandwiches/wraps, which are always delicious.
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I tend to make 2-4 portions even though I'm eating solo, portion the extra portions off and freeze them for a super quick meal on a day I'm not feeling like cooking.

Some of my favourite single serving meals though consist of:

Shrimp or chicken stir fry over rice, noodles, etc - sauce and veggies tend to vary depending on what I have and my mood

Breakfast wrap - eggs, spinach, peppers, mushrooms and salsa wrapped in a tortilla. Cheese and other items can again be added based on what I have

Omelette

Deluxe salad - variety of lettuce, vegetables, protein and a home made dressing. nuts and fruit (berries especially) tend to work well in most cases
  • AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try a sandwich or chicken breast with a 1/2-1 lb sweet potato. Surprisingly filling and so easy. For a sweet potato I put up to 1 tsp (if it's about 1lb) of butter in it.

Also, a quick way of making Asian inspired carrots is (I use frozen carrots) microwave them and add a few splashes of soy or teriyakii sauce. No water needed, they soak in the sauce, it's amazing.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I like to make a stuffed cream cheese chicken breast, with either a salad or veggies. You can make it spicy by adding chilli's and paprika, or make it Italian by adding some basil, parsley and cherry tomatoes. Sometimes I wrap it in bacon or panko bread crumbs.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Go to MyAlli.com and register. You don't need to take the pills to log onto the site. it has LOTS of yummy single serving meals and snacks for you to try and create...
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Most fish fillets are sold in packages with individually wrapped portions. Super easy to thaw in the fridge then broil, bake, grill, or pan fry with a side of rice or pasta and a salad for a complete meal.

Pot pie - Get a refrigerated pie crust and cut out two rounds. Press one in the bottom and up the sides of a large ramekin. Saute some garlic and shallots in a tablespoon of olive oil until cooked down. Stir in 1-1.5 tbsp of flour, then slowly add about 1/2 c milk and 1/2 c broth to form a gravy. Or skip that and just use a can of cream of whatever you like soup. Stir in some meat and veggies, pour into ramekin, cover with other crust and bake at 400 until crust is browned.

Otherwise, on nights my hubs is working, I eat lots of omelettes, paninis, salads, burritos/quesadillas.
  • leholcomb
    leholcomb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am salivating now... lol