Best Tortilla

Options
Just wanted to share this with you:

For me a great snack that keeps me full for a long time.

1 Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Tortilla: 210 cal, 5 g Fat, 32 g carb, 26 g Fiber (which is a lot), 9 g Protein ( a lot for a Tortilla).
I usually wrap a fried egg and ham or cheese in it. Or Peanut Butter, Jelly, Philadelphia Cheese, Hummus and and and

Also great, Kashi Go Lean Fiber Twigs. Good amount of Fiber and Protein. Fiber and protein mixed keeps me full for a long time.:smile: .

Love it.

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    My favorite is La Tortilla Factory, "Smart & Delicious"

The small tortilla is 50 calories, with 7 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein.
    The larger size tortilla is 80 calories, with 12 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein.
    http://www.latortillafactory.com/products-3.aspx

I've only been able to find them in one grocery store though, so maybe I will check yours out!

:flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Boo! I can't eat wheat or cheese or eggs because of a digestive disorder. :sad:

However, I do enjoy a delicious PB&J on a white corn tortilla! And since I can't eat bread, all my sandwiches are basically corn tortilla wraps. :drinker:

These are great ideas! :flowerforyou:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I do love the Old Mission tortillas. I'm not sure what kind I have in my fridge right now, but I picked them out because they were the only 100% whole wheat tortillas I could find that were actually fajita size.

My favorite tortillas are, and probably always will be, homemade. I gotta find that recipe for the wheat ones again. o: I suppose I could make white ones, but those are almost too delicious. I can eat those suckers plain like ice cream.
  • nre820
    nre820 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I make my own... so easy and no weird "extra" ingredients! And you can flavor it however you want!

•1 cup whole wheat flour
    •2 cups unbleached white flour
    •1/2 teaspoon baking powder-I use the aluminum free variety.
    •2 tbsp. ground flax seed meal (optional)
    •1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    •1 cup hot water
    •a pinch of salt (optional)

Add spices to your taste

Combine Dry Ingredients, add olive oil and mix with your hands until mixture begins to crumb. Add hot water and mix, form into a large ball.

Wrap in plastic wrap or throw it in a ziplock bag, let sit for 30 minutes...or thow in the fridge til you're ready to use.

Divide dough into twelve small balls.

Roll out on a lightly floured surface,

Cook in a hot, ungreased cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Flip when bubbles/blisters start to form on top.

Serve hot, or reheat as needed. I'll usually just cook up one or two at a time.

Here is another variety: http://noellesnotebook.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/and-now-a-short-break-for-tortillas/
  • woltra
    woltra Posts: 4
    Options
    I just bought a packet of Santa Fe Tortilla Company's "Homestyle Whole Grain Tortillas" from Sam's Club. I had them last night for dinner as a cracker thin pizza crust for a veggie patch pizza version we came up with and I have to say I REALLY like these tortillas a lot. These are burrito size tortillas (about 9 inch).

Here is the nutritional info...

Calories 100
    Total Fat 3.5g
    Saturated 0
    Trans 0
    Polyunsaturated 1.5g
    Monounsaturated 2g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 328mg
    Total Carb 13g
    Dietary Fiber 7g
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 8g
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    My favorite is La Tortilla Factory, "Smart & Delicious"

The small tortilla is 50 calories, with 7 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein.
    The larger size tortilla is 80 calories, with 12 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein.
    http://www.latortillafactory.com/products-3.aspx

I've only been able to find them in one grocery store though, so maybe I will check yours out!

:flowerforyou:

La Tortilla Factory, "Smart & Delicious" are my favorite too- I can always find them at my local Walmart stores.
  • Brutmar
    Brutmar Posts: 85
    Options
    bump
  • Deedles2012
    Deedles2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am going to try that tortilla recipe! Thanks for sharing.
  • nre820
    nre820 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am going to try that tortilla recipe! Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome! So easy to make and they taste great! Enjoy!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I make my own... so easy and no weird "extra" ingredients! And you can flavor it however you want!

•1 cup whole wheat flour
    •2 cups unbleached white flour
    •1/2 teaspoon baking powder-I use the aluminum free variety.
    •2 tbsp. ground flax seed meal (optional)
    •1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    •1 cup hot water
    •a pinch of salt (optional)

Add spices to your taste

Combine Dry Ingredients, add olive oil and mix with your hands until mixture begins to crumb. Add hot water and mix, form into a large ball.

Wrap in plastic wrap or throw it in a ziplock bag, let sit for 30 minutes...or thow in the fridge til you're ready to use.

Divide dough into twelve small balls.

Roll out on a lightly floured surface,

Cook in a hot, ungreased cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Flip when bubbles/blisters start to form on top.

Serve hot, or reheat as needed. I'll usually just cook up one or two at a time.

Here is another variety: http://noellesnotebook.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/and-now-a-short-break-for-tortillas/

Never thought about making them myself. Sounds good.
  • Stumason2105
    Stumason2105 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just bought a packet of Santa Fe Tortilla Company's "Homestyle Whole Grain Tortillas" from Sam's Club. I had them last night for dinner as a cracker thin pizza crust for a veggie patch pizza version we came up with and I have to say I REALLY like these tortillas a lot. These are burrito size tortillas (about 9 inch).

Here is the nutritional info...

Calories 100
    Total Fat 3.5g
    Saturated 0
    Trans 0
    Polyunsaturated 1.5g
    Monounsaturated 2g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 328mg
    Total Carb 13g
    Dietary Fiber 7g
    Sugars 0g