Running and Lifting

Options
I want to run! It makes me feel good and accomplished and I have never really been able to do it before. And I want to lift heavy! It makes me feel strong and I know I am building sexy muscles underneath my fatty layers so as they shed, it won't be too unsightly. But I want to give my body the amount of rest it needs to recover. What do you recommend as to how often I should do both?

Replies

• thenoxus1
    thenoxus1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    1-2 days a week of rest as needed depending on your body. I usually do 3 days of strength training with a cross train (Elliptical, bike, swim) etc. I then run on the alternate days, with a rest day somewhere in there. Some days instead of a cross train I run instead.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    bUMp
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy twice a week, and run three days a week. Figure out which combo works best for you to get the results you want.
  • Lifesauthour
    Lifesauthour Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Women (me too) have this common misconception we SHOULDN'T lift heavy. But I know, if I want the body I want, I'm going to have to lift and push myself.

You could lift every day if you wanted to, but what you need to do is rotate the areas. For instance: If today you do upper body, tomorrow do Legs/Core. If you need an extra day for rest, put a resting day between. It all depends on your schedule.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I did couch 25k 3 years ago then started stong lifts 3x5 recently.

I try to do 3 days lifting, 3 days running. I don't do runs and lifts on the same day.

Everything works out well with the exception of runs and squats. It's like the bane of my existence. I can't get low enough on squat days, and on run days it gives me shin splints. Mostly I just run though the pain of the first mile on runs.

Since you are starting out, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I double up some lifting days with easy run days. I made sure I gave a couple of days between leg day and my long run.

ETA - someone made the point below me - I did lift first run after.
  • thenoxus1
    thenoxus1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Also - if you run and lift on the same day, always do your lifts first.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I want to run! It makes me feel good and accomplished and I have never really been able to do it before. And I want to lift heavy! It makes me feel strong and I know I am building sexy muscles underneath my fatty layers so as they shed, it won't be too unsightly. But I want to give my body the amount of rest it needs to recover. What do you recommend as to how often I should do both?

Everybody's rest time will be different depending on their bodies, and their fitness level. Best advice I can give you is learn to listen to your body. If you're crazy sore, take it easy the next day. And learn the difference between a sore that needs rest and a sore that you can push through or train different muscles. There really is no magic "fits all" answer unfortunately. Figure out what works for you and do it.

:flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I do both.

I lift 3 days a week, using the Wendler 5/3/1 program. I run 3 days a week, usually 2-4 miles per run. I typically take 1 full rest day every week, and sometimes double up on my exercise for the day. I only do that on upper body days though (bench press or overhead press). I never double up on squat or deadlift day, as it's just too much for my knees. I also always schedule my rest day after squat day, so my legs have time to recover.

I always lift first. And I try to separate them by a few hours if I can. For example, I may lift on my lunch break and then run around 7pm that evening. I've done them back-to-back before and it's ok, but my running does suffer a little.

It's helped me to have a plan. I have an workout schedule drawn up for 6 weeks, which is how long it takes me to do a full cycle of Wendler (it's 4 "program weeks", but it takes longer since I don't lift 4 times a week).

I want to add that if you are training for something specific, such as a longer distance or a certain time at a race, you may want to back off the lifting a little until you reach your objective. Similarly, if you have a lifting goal, it might help to back off the running until you get there. You can balance the two, but be smart about it.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Test out a couple different combos. Try doing strength 3 days a week and running 4 days a week (or opposite or more or less) and find out what works well for you.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Lift 3, run 3 (or 2).

Monday: lift
    Tuesday: run
    Wed: lift
    Thurs: run
    Fri: lift
    Saturday: run (optional)
    Sunday: rest

Edit to add: my schedule looks like this:
    Monday: lift
    Tuesday: lift, run
    Wed: lift
    thursday: yoga, run
    Friday: lift
    Saturday: lift (legs), run
    Sunday: rest

I lift legs on saturday before my run so that way my legs have sunday and monday to recover before I have to run again.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I lift and run.

Just not at the same time.

That would be difficult for me.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Just curious, why is that recommended? I've been focusing a bit more on my running so I currently run 5 days a week. Because of my schedule, I sometimes do a short run or other cardio and then strength training on the same day--if I run last, I have no endurance, so I always run (or do other cardio) first.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I did the exact opposite.

It depends on your priority. My priority then was a triathlon, so I did cardio first and lifts second. Now I've done the triathlon and my priority is body recomposition, so I lift first, and run when I can (now on different days).

I'd suggest starting one for a month or two, then adding the other rather than starting both at once!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    optimal would be 3 and 3, but if you feel like an extra day, take it. never risk injury just for sake of hobbling through the week because it could side-track you...
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I run and I lift!

My schedule is usually something like this:

Monday - strength train / lift
    Tuesday - I play beach volleyball!
    Wednesday - - strength train / lift... and i usually make wednesday my heaviest lifting days!
    Thursday - rest, maybe some yoga cause I dont feel right with NO exercise
    Friday - strength train / lift
    Saturday - this is my whatever day...if I don't get outside to do something (beach volleyball, hiking, kayaking etc...) then I will go to the gym and lift :)
    Sunday - sunday is runday for me. I put in about 10-12 KM every Sunday morning!

In my warm-ups for my lifting days I usually do about 10-15 minutes of running on the treadmill to keep my legs in shape for my long Sunday runs. But if its the day after my long run I will usually opt for the elliptical to give them break from the harder impact of running.

This is what works for me! It keeps me busy, to say the least, lol.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I.....
    Run - Mon and Fri
    Lift heavy - Tues and Thurs
    Wed is a cardio day/leg day (not heavy)
    Sat varies - circuit, running or Plyo
    Sun = Rest Day!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 days a week, run 2. I usually run a 5k one day, and a 5-6 mile another day. Occasionally, I'll run a third day, but generally only about a mile or two.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Just curious, why is that recommended? I've been focusing a bit more on my running so I currently run 5 days a week. Because of my schedule, I sometimes do a short run or other cardio and then strength training on the same day--if I run last, I have no endurance, so I always run (or do other cardio) first.

It does depend on what your goal is. Many people who recommend lifting first have lifting as a priority, it works the same.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

The reason it is recommended to lift before running is so that you have the power and explosiveness to get through your lifts without your muscles already being fatigued. Since running is a slower activity that doesn't require as much explosive power and engery as lifting you want to save it for after your weight session.