Mono-fasting-- Thoughts?

Options
Hello there fellow fitness pals!

I have a question: has anyone tried mono-fasting? It's basically when a food (or food group in my case) is exclusively eaten for a period of time. I like that I can eat during a mono-fast, and it's easier than preparing a wide variety of foods. LOL

Today I am eating fruits only. If all goes well, I am extending it to two days, and will continue through Friday.

I guess what I want to know is, has anyone else done a mono-fast before? If so, for how long and what did you eat? What were your results???

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Why would you do this?
    What is the point?
    What do you hope to gain?
    What is your favorite color?
    What is the airspeed velocity of an african swallow?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello there fellow fitness pals!

I have a question: has anyone tried mono-fasting? It's basically when a food (or food group in my case) is exclusively eaten for a period of time. I like that I can eat during a mono-fast, and it's easier than preparing a wide variety of foods. LOL

Today I am eating fruits only. If all goes well, I am extending it to two days, and will continue through Friday.

I guess what I want to know is, has anyone else done a mono-fast before? If so, for how long and what did you eat? What were your results???

That seems pretty absurd
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think not eating (which this is a variant of) does certainly work for a couple pounds, but its generally not worth it long term. So it takes 3 weeks to healthily drop the weight you'll lose by starving for a week.....not worth it I think?
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that you will get even a fraction of the nutrients you need by eating only one thing for several days. This sounds really unhealthy and obviosly it is unsustainable.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think not eating (which this is a variant of) does certainly work for a couple pounds, but its generally not worth it long term. So it takes 3 weeks to healthily drop the weight you'll lose by starving for a week.....not worth it I think?

This is the eating variant of not eating.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I'd call this "The Chicken Wings" diet. Doubt it would get me very far, however.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Seems like a quick trip to malnourishment. On days you only eat fruit, how are you going to get enough protein? How are you going to get to the right amount of b, d, and other vitamins? How are you planning to get enough fats to maintain appropriate hormone levels?

A balanced diet is called a balanced diet because it is balanced. You get the right amounts of protein, fats, vitamins, etc...

It sounds like a pretty terrible idea overall.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Seems like a quick trip to malnourishment. On days you only eat fruit, how are you going to get enough protein? How are you going to get to the right amount of b, d, and other vitamins? How are you planning to get enough fats to maintain appropriate hormone levels?

Two or three days won't cause malnourishment. That's a chronic condition.

I do three day fasts just because (legit ones, no food, only water.), and to make sure I can be as aggressive as possible when I find I'm getting too calm. I've never been at risk of malnourishment by any stretch according to any medical staff I've worked with on my fasts. :)
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Two or three days won't cause malnourishment. That's a chronic condition.

I do three day fasts just because (legit ones, no food, only water.), and to make sure I can be as aggressive as possible when I find I'm getting too calm. I've never been at risk of malnourishment by any stretch according to any medical staff I've worked with on my fasts. :)

I do 24 hour fasts or so. I wasn't talking just about doing it for a day or two but for the "some period of time" OP mentioned. For a day or so, you can probably do whatever. If you start doing it for several days each week or 3 days out of the week each week etc... It would probably be bad. I'm sure it also depends on the nutritional status of the person when they start. If you start well nourished, it would probably take longer to develop any deficiencies.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    But.... Protein?!
  • dbmata
    Options
    I do 24 hour fasts or so. I wasn't talking just about doing it for a day or two but for the "some period of time" OP mentioned. For a day or so, you can probably do whatever. If you start doing it for several days each week or 3 days out of the week each week etc... It would probably be bad. I'm sure it also depends on the nutritional status of the person when they start. If you start well nourished, it would probably take longer to develop any deficiencies.

Ah noted! and I agree.

I had seen this from the OP: "Today I am eating fruits only. If all goes well, I am extending it to two days, and will continue through Friday. "

and had thought you were mentioning the three day period as being a problem. :)
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I believe and hope this is a troll post.

This is the best way to lead yourself to a micronutrient deficiency.

Anyone who knows anything knows that a varied diet is key to a healthy body and mind, regardless of weight loss goals.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I mono-fast with European beer quite often, You feel awesome at the time but the next day isn't too pretty.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Why would you do this?
    What is the point?
    What do you hope to gain?
    What is your favorite color?
    What is the airspeed velocity of an african swallow?

nice.. monty python.. but the correct quote is:

-What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    -What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

Also.. fruit for a week straight sounds no fun..

This however...
    I mono-fast with European beer quite often,
    sounds plausable, doable and entirely more fun.. lol
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I mono-fast with European beer quite often, You feel awesome at the time but the next day isn't too pretty.

I tried this with Kozel just the other week and the reduced preservatives meant I look liked death warmed up rather than just death.

A good result I thought.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    try following the next day with mono-eating at McDonalds. Its what i am going to be doing today. Cheers, god bless :flowerforyou:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    What about the fact that you're probably going to *kitten* your pants at least once after only eating fruit for a few days?
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    What about the fact that you're probably going to *kitten* your pants at least once after only eating fruit for a few days?

all that fat she's losing has to get out of her body somehow!

:dependsforyou,OP:
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines includes these items:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.