Beginning Runner - Question for seasoned runners

Options
lmkaks
lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
Hello,
Quick review: Was a multiple sport athlete from a young age through college (played DI sports). In college I was "diagnosed" with tendonitis in both knees. Had to ice and stim before and after each practice. Didn't really run again after college because knees would really hurt, so I just stuck with the elliptical/gym classes for cardio.

Now, 14 years later: To pick up some extra cash I started officiating HS lacrosse. During the season I got horrible shin splints (I hadn't run like that for years). I am sure it was becuase I did too much too soon. Knees were surprisingly good, but the shin splints were so bad that it was hard to even walk one day after a lacrosse game.

I have noticed a difference in my body since I starting running again and would like to keep at it. Yesterday I did day one of Couch to 5k. Shins were not great. Knees were okay. Question: Should I rest for a while until the shin splints are gone and then start C25K, or keep going and hope the shin splints go away? Because of my bad history with knees (and now shins) should I just give up on runing and stick to elliptical, bike, gym classes? Not sure if these issues are becuase I am out of shape or becuase something is physically wrong.

Would love some insight from runners who are/were in a similar situation and what your experience was.

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    In my experience, shin splints went away once my body got accustomed to running. As I built those muscles in my legs up, I never got them again. However, you should listen to your body. If it's been awhile and given your history of injuries, you might want to ease into it.

You just need to learn the difference between a soreness you can push through or a soreness that's an indicator of injury. No one can make that decision for you. Just try it and see. If it's way way too painful, then lay off a bit. You could try walking a few miles to help build your legs up as well. I did that when I first started out running and I think it really helped.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Also, what shoes are you running in? if you have had them a while or if they are worn consider replacing.. when you do replace, be sure to go to a running store and have them analyze your stride to make sure you are getting the right shoes for you. I run in stability and before I knew this I would have back and shin pain... now I run pain free... Also like she said it will subside with time... Welcome back to running and have a blast!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I had a similar history and was once in good shape, quit for a number of years, and then started running again. Shin splints were a problem for me also. I didn't stop but did do shin stretching exercises every day. I also changed my running form - google "Good Form Running". The shin splints gradually faded and went away after a month or so.

My experience is that even if you were once in very good shape, if you quit for a few years you have to start over at the beginning, pains and all. The difference between starting over and being a first time beginner is that your improvements will come much quicker once you get past those first few weeks of "this really sucks".
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Shin splints were definitely a problem when I first started running. I got fitted for shoes, which helped a lot. Go to a running specialty store and get fitted. It makes all the difference.

Also, check out www.goodformrunning.com. Changing my form from heel strike to a midfoot strike cut down on shin splints as well.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    In my experience, shin splints went away once my body got accustomed to running. As I built those muscles in my legs up, I never got them again. However, you should listen to your body. If it's been awhile and given your history of injuries, you might want to ease into it.

You just need to learn the difference between a soreness you can push through or a soreness that's an indicator of injury. No one can make that decision for you. Just try it and see. If it's way way too painful, then lay off a bit. You could try walking a few miles to help build your legs up as well. I did that when I first started out running and I think it really helped.

This was true for me as well. I regularly run 10K a couple times a week.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    So to deal with shin splints you want to ice them every 3-4 hours until the pain subsides especially if there is any swelling. If there's swelling then you don't want to keep running on them as you could hurt yourself even more. Having properly fitted shoes is essential and can make or break you.

Once the pain subsides and there is no more swelling you want to build your mileage slowly, with your history you may need to build it slower than someone without knee and shin problems but I wouldn't give up on it altogether. Also, start strengthening your calves and tibialis anterior (to find dorsiflexion exercises search for dorsiflexion on Youtube) If you're running you should definitely be incorporating strength training as well as it will help with your running and reduce your risk of injury.

www.runnersworld.com has a ton of great articles and videos to help you build up your running and deal with various issues like shin splints as well. Hope this helps
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! There is great advice on here.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are likely caused by striking too far forward on your foot. Aim for more of a mid foot strike. Also, look into Chi Running (videos on YouTube are good to start).
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this info is repeated because I didn't read everyone's responses.

1. Get fitted for good running shoes

2. Strength train. I don't know what kind of shape you are in but once I started adding in some circuit training, mine went away

3. Don't stop running! You know your body better than anyone so I'm not saying run til you injure yourself. But more running seemed to fix the problem for me.

I had them BAD when I first started running and I did all three of these things simultaniously so not sure which one 'helped' the most. But whatever it was, it worked because I haven't had a problem since and I just ran my first marathon last sunday!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Tendonitis, as you probably know is inflammation of the tendon. Tendons take longer to heal because they dont have the circulation that muscles have. (this is why the doc stimmed your knees)

Use a vibrator massager. This will relax the calf muscles and stimulate circulation.

Rest and elevate your legs. Try to avoid NSAIDs, but if you do take them, try to take at bed time. (the pain will moderate you doing too much & too soon during the day).

Once your shins feel better try running/walking barefoot in the grass to strengthen your calves, feet and arches. Google foot exercises and stretches.

Stability, control, and arch support shoes contribute to the dynamics that caused the shin splints. Strong feet and arches are the base to build your running on.

The other cause of shin splints are due to the "Terrible Toos" Too much, too hard, too fast, too soon.

Welcome back to running. Glad to share it with you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271
  • ShellyUmana
    Options
    I changed my shoes. The vibram five fingers and it corrected the issue with shin splints, as well as other joint issues, but cause large blisters on the bottom of my big toe. At this point I am now alternating between shin splint and blister shoes. I hope to one day find a pair that I don't have to deal with any. So I hope that helps. Any tips ideas my direction would be great. :smile: