Exercise to help burn LEG fat!

Options
While I am aware you can't necessarily target one body part versus another, I am just trying to get together some exercises that will help me burn the fat in my thighs. I am very curvy and most of the women in my family just naturally have larger thighs. And while I embrace my curves, I would like to lose SOME weight in that area.

But like I said, I am aware you can't really TARGET one specific area, so I am wondering what types of exercise are generally best for fat burn, and what you ladies that struggled with larger thighs do that you find have worked for you.

I am just getting back into jogging which I know is a great fat burner, but maybe some leg exercises that burn fat rather than build muscle? Haha sorry if I'm being kind of confusing!

:)

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, deadlifts, hip thrusts, all weighted of course... You need muscle to burn fat and what's wrong with muscle?

ETA: If you want saggy shapeless legs just eat at a calorie deficit and don't work out.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is a myth.
  • Krystlemaja
    Krystlemaja Posts: 11
    Options
    Squats, lunges, deadlifts, hip thrusts, all weighted of course... You need muscle to burn fat and what's wrong with muscle?

Lol, I know muscle burns fat, and I never mentioned anything being wrong with muscle. I do strength training a couple of times a week. I'm just simply asking for fat burning exercises rather than muscle building exercises because I already do those.

And thank you for the suggestions! I really need to add deadlifts!
  • Krystlemaja
    Options
    Spot reduction is a myth.

Exactly! As I pointed out :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Lol, I know muscle burns fat, and I never mentioned anything being wrong with muscle. I do strength training a couple of times a week. I'm just simply asking for fat burning exercises rather than muscle building exercises because I already do those.

I am confused. Sorry I'm out
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I know you can't spot reduce, but how do you spot reduce?

To burn fat you need to eat less than your body burns during the day. Period.

Trying to lose fat is like drying out a sponge. Can't dry a corner when the rest of the sponge is still wet.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    While I am aware you can't necessarily target one body part versus another, I am just trying to get together some exercises that will help me burn the fat in my thighs.

wha?

cardio
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    when I started riding my bike I dropped inches in each leg within a month :) Great cardio too :)
  • Krystlemaja
    Options
    when I started riding my bike I dropped inches in each leg within a month :) Great cardio too :)

Wow! That's funny because I asked my boyfriend to get me a bike for my graduation present so I should be getting one soon. I will definitely start that up asap! Thanks!
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Fat burning is generally cardio, ie. elliptical, walking, running, circuit training etc... To lose fat you need cardio, to tone muscles, or in your case have better thighs, do the excersises the second person said!! good luck!!
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Woah, love ths quote!

Trying to lose fat is like drying out a sponge. Can't dry a corner when the rest of the sponge is still wet.
  • Krystlemaja
    Options
    I know you can't spot reduce, but how do you spot reduce?

To burn fat you need to eat less than your body burns during the day. Period.

Yes, that makes sense! I just started my workout routine back up, and I'm getting back into counting calories. I need to recalculate my BMI and stuff so that I can figure out what I need to eat and burn daily.

Thank you!
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Wow! That's funny because I asked my boyfriend to get me a bike for my graduation present so I should be getting one soon. I will definitely start that up asap! Thanks!

This or running will shape your legs and core and will provide the cardio to burn the fat.
  • Krystlemaja
    Options

This or running will shape your legs and core and will provide the cardio to burn the fat.

Yeah, I agree! I just started running again, but I am definitely getting a bike soon!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    While I am aware you can't necessarily target one body part versus another, I am just trying to get together some exercises that will help me burn the fat in my thighs. I am very curvy and most of the women in my family just naturally have larger thighs. And while I embrace my curves, I would like to lose SOME weight in that area.

But like I said, I am aware you can't really TARGET one specific area, so I am wondering what types of exercise are generally best for fat burn, and what you ladies that struggled with larger thighs do that you find have worked for you.

I am just getting back into jogging which I know is a great fat burner, but maybe some leg exercises that burn fat rather than build muscle? Haha sorry if I'm being kind of confusing!

:)
    Fat burn comes from calorie deficit. It doesn't matter whether it's from exercise or non exercise. ALL exercises utilize glycogen as the primary energy source. Fat is used once those stores are depleted, but it takes some serious effort to deplete them.
    And fat is lost systematically, meaning if you lose 1%, it comes from all over. You mention you KNOW that you can't target it, but are still looking for way to. Resign to the fact that you just need to lose weight overall to affect them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    1. Eat in a slight caloric deficit
    2. Lift weights to maintain muscle mass
    3. Let time take its course
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

Do some cardio if you like. Either way it is a result of caloric deficit and simply takes time. True body transformation takes time. Do the right thing and give it room to breathe, some space to grow.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Fat burning is generally cardio, ie. elliptical, walking, running, circuit training etc... To lose fat you need cardio, to tone muscles, or in your case have better thighs, do the excersises the second person said!! good luck!!
    Untrue. To lose fat you need calorie deficit. Cardio HELPS with heart health and increases calorie burn in a day, but it's NOT NEEDED to lose fat.
    Understand that I'm not discouraging exercise. I'm just informing people that incorrect information should be addressed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition