Lifestyle reboot

Options
Hey guys and gals!

I'm new to myfitnesspal.com, I'm nowhere near new to weight loss, I'm 28 now but had lost 60 lbs when I was 19, gained it all back, lost it again 3 times afterwards. This time is a little different, I have been struggling for the last 1 1/2 year with my brother's medical issues, in and out of hospitals... He passed away on April 8th this year, and once all the pain settled I took a good look at myself. I realized I have gained 100lbs in 18 months. 100 lbs! I went from wearing a size 12, which to me is great, I never wanted to be tiny, I'm now wearing a size 22-24 pants. I've tried, weight watchers, south beach, Atkins, paleo, GI, beck diet solutions, I haven't been able to stick to anything longer than 3-4 weeks. The 4 other times I lost weight when I was younger I was extreme dieting, bordering on anorexia. I don't want to live that way. I'm already stressed out learning to live without my brother, I don't need the added hunger headaches and such. I hope that learning the nutritional info in food and seeing what my body burns rather than points and such will open my eyes.

I'm newly married, and we' re going to have our official ceremony next year in may, I'd like to be able to walk down the aisle a happy, confident bride, not one trying to cover my fat bits in shame. I'm tired of going into stores and shopping in the corner plus size section. I need to change, I'm not happy at all and a lot of it stems from my self esteem due to weight gain.

I am going to push myself to become involved and be an active member of this board. Wish me luck!!

Replies

• clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hey guys and gals!

I'm new to myfitnesspal.com, I'm nowhere near new to weight loss, I'm 28 now but had lost 60 lbs when I was 19, gained it all back, lost it again 3 times afterwards. This time is a little different, I have been struggling for the last 1 1/2 year with my brother's medical issues, in and out of hospitals... He passed away on April 8th this year, and once all the pain settled I took a good look at myself. I realized I have gained 100lbs in 18 months. 100 lbs! I went from wearing a size 12, which to me is great, I never wanted to be tiny, I'm now wearing a size 22-24 pants. I've tried, weight watchers, south beach, Atkins, paleo, GI, beck diet solutions, I haven't been able to stick to anything longer than 3-4 weeks. The 4 other times I lost weight when I was younger I was extreme dieting, bordering on anorexia. I don't want to live that way. I'm already stressed out learning to live without my brother, I don't need the added hunger headaches and such. I hope that learning the nutritional info in food and seeing what my body burns rather than points and such will open my eyes.

I'm newly married, and we' re going to have our official ceremony next year in may, I'd like to be able to walk down the aisle a happy, confident bride, not one trying to cover my fat bits in shame. I'm tired of going into stores and shopping in the corner plus size section. I need to change, I'm not happy at all and a lot of it stems from my self esteem due to weight gain.

I am going to push myself to become involved and be an active member of this board. Wish me luck!!

Good luck! You can add me if you need lots of exclamation marks to help motivate!

You're going about it the right way, it is a lifestyle change, or reboot. Don't fall for any of the fad diets, pills, workouts... just change how you view food, working out and life. Nothing will stop you from becoming that beautiful bride but you. Good luck, again!
  • EmmaH14
    EmmaH14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got great motivation with your marriage ceremony next year. I've only been on this site for a week but I love being able to look at what is in the food that I eat and make informed decisions about what is best for me. It's a great learning curve! I wish you all the best and feel free to add me if you want to :)
  • emiwingwalker
    Options
    Thanks!! I will definitely add both of you. Let me just figure this out on an iPad :p may take a while
  • eddierichardson73
    eddierichardson73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes. it is a lifestyle change. If you want support you can add me. I will do best I can to help you.
  • carriespence1
    carriespence1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Just stay motivated and do it the right way. Take your time . We are here for ya
  • emiwingwalker
    Options
    Thank you! You're all so supportive! This time it's going to stick!
  • Azkadelia
    Azkadelia Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good handle on what needs to be done. I have been on here a week too and it helps to communicate with people who are on the same journey! You can do it! Add me if you like :)
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome !
    I agree, 'diets' are restrictive and don't Work! This is a lifestyle. Food is to Fuel your body, and you need Good fuel for your body to run well.

When the mind starts to shift on what is 'good' and what is not (even though it tastes good, or eventually Use to taste good) then we realize that junk isn't worth it.

I still struggle, but geetting better!

Feel free to add me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Physically write down a specific plan. You know your timeline already, so now come up with a reasonable goal. Then break that goal up to a monthly goal, then down to a weekly goal, then down to a daily goal. Make 3 copies of the daily goal and post it on your bathroom mirror, the visor on your vehicle (or whatever you bring with you to work daily), and the fridge. This way you can read it everyday. Then make sure you be consistent. Inconsistency is why most people don't achieve their goals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track - it is about a change to a good lifestyle. Feel free to add me for support.
  • jmmason89
    jmmason89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Going to send you a request! Bride to be in September of this upcomming fall with the similar goal of being able to walk down the aisle with confidence! We can do this!
  • sarah_lou22
    sarah_lou22 Posts: 79
    Options
    the very best of luck to you!!! add me if you would like :) YOU CAN DO ANYTHIGN YOU SET YOUR MIND TO! :)