I want a HRM any suggestions?

Options
I was looking into getting a HRM I think I want the Rhythm by Scorsche becasue it links with MFP and the spinning bikes at my gym. Does anyone use it or have any other suggestions?

Replies

• iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    commenting to keep an eye on the thread.

i asked this question on twitter/facebook a couple weeks ago and got a ton of panicked responses from people assuming i had developed a coronary condition. so odd!
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is the most popular of the people that I've talked to on here.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Polars are great. Mine is the FT40 and I literally can't imagine exercise without it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Polar brand is very popular but mostly you need a monitor with a chest strap for accuracy. Without one it's really a guessing game on your burn.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 for mother's day. I've been very happy with it, it links with the machines in my gym but I usually just go by the readout on my watch. I just enter my workout burns directly into MFP.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Polars are definitely popular. I happen to use a Garmin Forerunner 110 myself and have been absolutely thrilled with how good it is. If you like to run/walk/bike as well then this is probably the watch/chest strap HRM for you. It does has a somewhat pricey tag but it is well worth the price. I like to remind people, you get what you pay for.
  • sljenkins
    sljenkins Posts: 76
    Options
    I posted about this last night but got no response. I bought the New Balance N4 HRM for woman and I love it so far.... The thing I can't figure out is how accurate it is supposed to be. I am a newbie with this so I am not sure.... I googled the ratings and most everyone seems pleased with it.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7
  • ajsmommy2010
    Options
    Polar FT7 :)
  • chasero
    chasero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I personally have the Polar FT7 and I don't regret buying it. A Support Group I belong to on here had asked about HRMs and here is my long response to it if you feel like reading up. Ultimately the choice is yours and go for any brand you feel comfortable in getting.
    For HRM's, I've searched the forums for suggestions and most keep pointing towards the Polar and Garmin Brand. Sportsline brand seems to have a problem with breaking within the first month, so I wouldn't suggest that. Mine hasn't come in yet but if you go with Polar, I wouldn't go any higher than the FT7 if you're crunching money (the FT40/60/80 seems geared towards the hardcore athletes who want Fit Test function built into the HRM as well as a personal training schedule according to their input.). Garmin Seems to be the choice for those who want built in GPS in their HRMs.
    If you do go with Polar each HRM has a "Male" and "Female" version, it allows you to input Gender regardless of the "gender model" on the site. Supposedly we are able to input Height, Weight, Age, Gender, and HRMax. Even an older model, such as the FT2 or 1 is good. Either way, I strongly suggest buying your HRM from Amazon and not their official Retailers. My HRM is valued at $119.95 on the official site, but I got mine brand new from Amazon for $63.99. Even

Here's a Forum link where it talks about some of the things I've stated above: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/984362-question-about-hrm?hl=HRM#posts-15042182
  • LaurenEFord
    LaurenEFord Posts: 15
    Options
    Love my Polar E40!
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    H7 Bluetooth by Polar
    I wear this one. It connects to my iPhone which I have Digifit installed.

http://www.polar.com/en/products/accessories/H7_heart_rate_sensor
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My Polar H7 Chest Strap links with my Polar FT7 HRM wrist watch, most of my ios Fitness Apps, and all the machines at my gym. You can replace the battery yourself and the batteries are $4.77 for two at Target or Wal-Mart. So I'm never down waiting for my HRM to charge its battery. I recommend both the H7 if you use Apps and the FT7 if you want just a wrist-type HRM with computer. Either solution employs a chest strap.
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    polar ft60
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 but would get the FT4 next time. Just not enough features on the FT7 that I care about to make it worth the extra $$

ETA: mine syncs with the machines at the gym. Might vary by machine but it's been fine with both stationary bikes and treadmills at my gym. And since a HRM is more for workouts than all day activity, it's super easy to enter into MFP without linking.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love my Polar FT7
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is the most popular of the people that I've talked to on here.

I have one of these and I LOVE it! I wear it in the pool and the gym. It's pretty user friendly too.
  • gotttammi
    gotttammi Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi..newbie here.. what is a HRM or Polar??
  • Happy_10yr
    Happy_10yr Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Great topic for a newbie.

I need to get one.

I hear Polar is the standard.

The only features that I want is basic heart rate monitor and calorie count.

I don't need the other features. No download to computer or GPS...I get lost while sitting in my parked car.

Max price $150.

Thanks for the help and input!!
  • chasero
    chasero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi..newbie here.. what is a HRM or Polar??

HRM stands for "Heart Rate Monitor," Polar is the brandname. HRMs are used for a more accurate depiction of calories burned (mostly aerobic exercises).