Cardio Help

Options
Hello,
I hate doing cardio. I know it is the best way to lose weight but I hate it! Any suggestions on making it easier? I usually walk on the treadmill at a high incline.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Sharon

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If you hate cardio then focus on lifting. There are MANY people here who do little to no cardio, focus on lifting and have great success. Unless you are training for an endurance race of some kind skip the cardio, eat at a deficit, and lift weights. Lifting weight does not make women bulky, contrary to some peoples beliefs.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Find something you like!! Running, biking, stairclimber, battle ropes, or elliptical to name a few. If you do not enjoy it you most certainly will not continue to do it!! Could also add some higher intensity type weight training, that burns fat also.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    Pick up the weights and do circuit training.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'd say just find an activity you like. Walking, hiking, bicycle. skating, something... Take a class like kickboxing or karate or something fun. Or yoga even is great! Zumba is also fun if you like to dance. You can take dance classes! I used to do west coast swing classes twice a week for at least an hour, and that was my cardio for the day. It's really what you're up to and what you like to do. Try new things out!
  • Joleen106
    Joleen106 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try finding something fun to do as your cardio. kickboxing, zumba. or any type of dancing. walking on a treadmill can get boring. Good luck! :)
  • sassy15241
    sassy15241 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

Sharon
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do cardio if you don't want to. It's more for actual cardiovascular health than for weight loss. focus on lifting is that's what you want.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It doesn't necessarily have to the the only way you lose weight. I literally do no cardio, watch what I eat (a health 1800 cals daily), lift 3x per week (heavy) and happily lose weight :)
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also hate doing cardio, try mixing it up and challenging yourself - do 5 minutes, high intensity, followed by rest, then another 5 high, etc. Do you like to run at all? There are a lot of people who don't who have started this C25K program, which challenges you little by little from walking and a little running until you can run a full 5K. Also try a class instead maybe zumba? Also like mentioned below the circuit training to help break it up and mix in some weight lifting.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    There are many different types of cardio u can try. Variety is key, change it up- swimming Zumba etc and incorporate strength days in there for success
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I LOVE CARDIO!
    IT GIVES ME SUCH A AWESOME HIGH!!!
    GO GET OUT THERE!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Losing weight is 95% in the kitchen and the food or calories you are consuming NOT how much cardio you are performing. So how are you doing with your eating plan?

Is getting in better shape "making it easier"? Are you looking in increase your stamina or just lose weight? What are your fitness goals? Have you tried running outside or elliptical trainers or a stairmaster? Do you workout at home or at a gym?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Find something you like better? I get on really well with Jillian Michaels' DVDs. The quick circuits and the variety of exercises keep me interested. Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism and Kickbox Fast Fix are my favorite for cardio.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I do agree with what a lot of people are saying here but you didn't ask for options on weight lifting so here is my list of cardio fun times.

I run and I love it, but it's not for everyone. I fyou don't love it you might end up hating it, so try it and go from there.

Also Zumba is super fun, I've done it plenty and it really focuses on your core, and gets you sweating.

If you can't physically do certain things, swimming is a great cardio workout, and runners train in the water when they can't run. (pros)

I jump rope, and even do fun cardio workouts at home. By fun I just mean a variety everything from what's on demand on my television to old Denise Austin videos, she has a boot camp series. Also youtube has some quick fun and FREE workouts you can try too, just do a search.

Hula hooping I guess is the latest craze, but I suck at that so I don't bother. Find something you like and it will just be fun. Also my friends are really into hiking on weekends. I also own a elliptical and do that as well. Have fun and good luck finding your cardio!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I hate doing cardio. I know it is the best way to lose weight but I hate it! Any suggestions on making it easier? I usually walk on the treadmill at a high incline.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    Sharon
    cardio is actually one of the worst ways to lose fat exercise wise. It just happens to be the easiest to do. If you don't like it, then don't do it and do basically anything else.