Working your obliques makes you bigger?!

Options
So I just read on the internet, yes the internet, the one thing we aren't supposed to believe, but yet we are on here taking eachothers advice. :wink: I read that working your obliques makes you bigger, therefor women who want a tinier waist shoudln't work them.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Bon Jour!
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well considering the obliques are under the love handles and therefore on the sides of the body they would eventually make you wider.. however, once your bf% is low enough to see abs, obliques look amazing.. so up to you..
  • Bradfi
    Bradfi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When you work any muscle, it's going to make you look SEXY. Not big as in chubby. I don't know anyone who would choose to have a loose, untoned tummy over a hard, curvy, goddess like belly. Will it make thicken up a little bit of the hour glass shape in your waist and make you look "straighter"? Maybe, it depends on your body. But will it make you look hotter than you did before? Absolutely.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I definitely like working the obliques, gives a real nice overall toned look.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    makes your waist appear thicker, but once youre lean they look awesome. i love mine!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I work them by doing squats, front squats and deadlifts. Once I burn off some more fat I'll let you know how it worked out. Based on how they feel after workouts the job is getting done :)
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It depends. Some people have naturally thick waists and develop a strong and large midsection very easily. These people go on to be great strongmen and powerlifters!

Seriously though, you're unlikely to gain a serious amount of mass in your obliques, especially without drugs, especially as a woman. Train them and enjoy the aesthetics when you're lean.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    it can make you appear wider and decrease the visual V-taper effect. Some people, like mentioned above, suffer from this much more than others (or benefit, depends on perspective).

For what it's worth, most male bodybuilders intentionally avoid oblique workouts. At low bodyfat, obliques are defined even without working them directly.

If you deadlift, squat, row etc, your obliques are most likely getting worked hard anyways.