Push Up Challenge?

Options
Anyone have a push up challenge for a beginner? As in I do the "modified" (i.e. girly) ones and just barely. But I want to get my arms in shape and work up to doing normal pushups!!

Replies

• Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Sweetie--I can't do a regular push up to save my soul but I *am* doing modified push ups (counter) with Runtastic. I have their apps for running, squats, sit ups, and push ups. They have free and paid apps that I really like the best of all of the free ones out there. And they offer in all the mobile platforms. Just go to www.runtastic.com

They do a training schedule that you follow daily or every other day. You do a few squats, rest, some more, rest, etc.

I'm up to a total of 274 squats, 187 push ups, and a sucky 119 crunches (I subbed for actual sit ups) for the month.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Doing push ups at an incline - like against a wall or with a counter or with stairs - will get you to a real push up faster than doing them on your knees. I've noticed from my self defense class - where we do push ups in our warm ups - most of the females do push ups on their knees and a lot of them don't do them in the same form you would do a normal push up so it's useless

I started NROLFW doing incline push ups off of an 18" bench 2x 15 and 2x12 for the prescribed workouts.
    When I hit the 2x10 work outs, I was on my toes doing real push ups and it was only a matter of weeks.

ETA: Last time I tried, I did 20 in a row without stopping. Goal 1 is 25. Goal 2 is to make in through our 10 to 1 warmup all on toes (10 jumping jacks, 10 pushups, 9, 9 etc down to one - it equals around 100 push ups). Goal 3: 210 in a row.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I can do girlie ones on my knees just fine! I am working my way up in repetitions and number without pausing. So I can get to 15 without pausing, and it starts to hurt. I can't do the full ones yet, as my lower back is weak and it would strain badly on those. So i am working my way up to that point! Just a little every day! (well this week seems to be every other day. I hate being sick!)
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am still doing girly push ups but my arms are much stronger now. Hope to do full pushups by end of this year or sooner.
    My advice is to Practice. Practice. Practice.
    Do planks. Hold them as long as you can. Slowly lower yourself, use knees and then slowly lower self onto floor. Control the movement, do not let your upper body flop. Do it again and again.
    Good luck!
  • Coach_T
    Coach_T Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Doing push ups at an incline - like against a wall or with a counter or with stairs - will get you to a real push up faster than doing them on your knees. I've noticed from my self defense class - where we do push ups in our warm ups - most of the females do push ups on their knees and a lot of them don't do them in the same form you would do a normal push up so it's useless

I started NROLFW doing incline push ups off of an 18" bench 2x 15 and 2x12 for the prescribed workouts.
    When I hit the 2x10 work outs, I was on my toes doing real push ups and it was only a matter of weeks.

ETA: Last time I tried, I did 20 in a row without stopping. Goal 1 is 25. Goal 2 is to make in through our 10 to 1 warmup all on toes (10 jumping jacks, 10 pushups, 9, 9 etc down to one - it equals around 100 push ups). Goal 3: 210 in a row.

Great feedback