Parents Sue Zoo - For or Against?

Options

Replies

• WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Totally against -- parents need to be responsible. This parent was not as responsible as she should have been.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    The lawsuit claims that zoo officials had ample warning that parents routinely lift their children onto a rail overlooking the exhibit so that the children can see the dogs better, according to the report.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sad it happened. and I feel the parent is looking for someone to blame since I am sure she blames herself the most. ( I am just speaking from if it had happened to me...I know I would feel like number one worst parent in the world)

with that said..

I would not sue the zoo...its not the zoo's fault.
  • InnerConflict
    Options
    Like all of the replies I have seen, I am also against this lawsuit. That being said, please be respectful with your opinions.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    For it, sue them for millions!!!! Its the corporations responsibility to protect us from our own stupidity. That's why we have cigarette warning labels, caution this coffee is hot, oh and the best little packets that come in shoes they say do not eat. If I didn't have Corporations and Government looking out for me I might fall into a pit of wild dogs myself.

PS for those that don't get sarcasm this is it ^^^^
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    .and that is why we pay ridiculous amounts for insurance.

How much zoo insurance do you have, and what do you pay for it?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    It would be intersting to know who determines safety protocols for zoos and if the zoo was in violation or not.

i.e.- was there a sign "keep children off railing" or "danger" etc.
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It was an accident and I feel for the mother. I don’t let my son stand up on the railings at a zoo, train station or anywhere else where he could get hurt. Just a real bad decision on the mother’s part. Unfortunately we live in a litigious society where culpability is never seen by most people when they look in the mirror.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing :laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It would be intersting to know who determines safety protocols for zoos and if the zoo was in violation or not.

i.e.- was there a sign "keep children off railing" or "danger" etc.

I think this is important in whether the case will be tossed out or not.

Granted, it probably wasn't the best idea in the first place, signs or not, but I imagine she already knows that and will remember it the rest of her life.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What are the parents claiming was the zoo's liability?

Good question
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

Obviously I mean in general, lawsuits are the reason insurance cost so much.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

I could get political but IC doesn't want his thread locked too.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Zoos have wild animals. There are fences, gates, walls, and moats around them to protect both the animals and the general public. Being stupid enough to put your child somewhere dangerous and having something horrible happen does not give you the right to sue. I feel awful for the family, but grief and anger are not lessened with money. I'd feel differently if the zoo were negligent and the animal was out of it's enclosure.
    ^^This^^
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

No, spreading the costs of claims over a pool of insureds is the reason isurance costS so much. Because: Math. When we have claims to pay out, they come from the pool of money collected from all the insureds. That's how insurance works.

Against the lawsuit. It was a horrible mistake, but I see nothing that shows the zoo was negligent.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options

I wasn't attempting to make it a political discussion at all just point out that frivolous lawsuits are not beneficial to anyone. Especially when the person suing used their own poor judgement in the situation.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Read this does it change your mind?

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/nation_world/20130523_ap_parentssuepittsburghzooinboysmaulingdeath.html

The parents of a 2-year-old boy who was fatally mauled after falling into a wild African dogs exhibit last fall filed a lawsuit Thursday against the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, claiming officials had ample warning that parents routinely lifted children onto a rail overlooking the exhibit so they could see better.

The lawsuit filed on behalf of Jason and Elizabeth Derkosh seeks unspecified damages in the Nov. 4 death of their son, Maddox. The boy fell from a wooden railing after his mother lifted him up to get a better look at the painted dogs.

The bespectacled boy, who had vision issues, became the only visitor in the zoo's 116-year history to die when he unexpectedly lunged out of his mother's grasp atop the wooden railing and into a net meant to catch falling debris and trash, bouncing from it and down into the dogs' enclosure about 10 feet below.

According to the lawsuit, Elizabeth Derkosh tried to climb into the exhibit after her son, but was restrained by another zoo visitor.

"She was forced to watch helplessly as the African wild dogs savagely mauled and literally tore apart her son in front of her," according to the Allegheny County Common Pleas lawsuit filed by Philadelphia attorney Robert Mongeluzzi, an expert in construction site and other accidental deaths.

The boy suffered more than 220 injuries, mostly bites, and bled to death in the attack which included the "evisceration of his organs of the chest, abdomen and pelvis," the lawsuit said.

A zoo spokeswoman did not immediately comment.

"Elizabeth and Jason have asked us to find out why the Zoo had an unsafe exhibit, why they ignored warnings from their own employee regarding the very danger that killed Maddox and to ensure that no other family has to suffer the same unimaginable tragedy," Mongeluzzi said in the statement.

The lawsuit contends a zoo employee told KDKA-TV weeks after the boy's death that he had warned his supervisor that parents lifted their children onto the exhibit railing "at least 10" times daily, but was told, "This is not your concern, go back to work."

The lawsuit cites examples from at least 16 other U.S. zoos which use glass enclosures, wire fencing or other methods that allow children to view African painted dogs without risk of falling into the exhibit.

After the boy's death, the Pittsburgh zoo closed the observation deck, then eventually decided to move the 10 dog to three other American zoos. One of the 11 animals in the exhibit when the boy was mauled was killed by crews attempting to rescue the boy.

Zoo President Dr. Barbara Baker said last month that the exhibit was being closed because zoo staff and surrounding community still "need time to heal" from the boy's death.

Although the county district attorney has determined there was no criminal culpability on behalf of the boy's mother or zoo officials, reviews by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Associations of Zoos and Aquariums were continuing.
  • InnerConflict
    Options
    What are the parents claiming was the zoo's liability?

Good question

Edited the OP to add more about the claim.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

I wasn't attempting to make it a political discussion at all just point out that frivolous lawsuits are not beneficial to anyone. Especially when the person suing used their own poor judgement in the situation.

Didn't say you were.
    I just have other thoughts about why health insurance is so costly.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options

No, spreading the costs of claims over a pool of insureds is the reason isurance costS so much. Because: Math. When we have claims to pay out, they come from the pool of money collected from all the insureds. That's how insurance works.

Against the lawsuit. It was a horrible mistake, but I see nothing that shows the zoo was negligent.

Yes and when people sue for millions over their own mistakes that cost goes up.