Accurate calories burned

Options
I am having some trouble trying to figure out how many calories I am actually burning when I exercise. MFP exercise calories seem way too high. I have been using Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 for the Xbox 360. It has my accurate weight and height and it tells me how many calories I've burned. So I have been using that to calculate my calories burned, but today I got a heart rate monitor. I used the heart rate monitor while I played Your Shape. I have done 40 minutes so far and they calories burned are very different. According to Your Shape I've burned 183 calories, but the heart rate monitor says 240. So I don't know what I should be putting in for my calories burned. Which should be more accurate, MFP, Your Shape, or the heart rate monitor. I would assume it would be the heart rate monitor, but I don't have a really good fancy one, so I don't know how accurate it would be. The one I have is the "Pyle Sports Heart Rate Monitor Watch with Minimum, Average Heart Rate, Calories, Target Zones." So how would you calculate your calories burned?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I searched for that HRM and it looks like it comes with a chest strap, is that right? If so, and you've set it up to reflect your current age, weight, gender and height, it should be pretty accurate. If you're worried about it, go with the lower number but if you're hungry don't be afraid to have another 50 calories of something. Or go with an average of the two.
  • e_is_for_erin
    e_is_for_erin Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I always go with the HRM. I believe MFP and the Your Shape probably use some type of formula. I'm not an expert by any means, but when I log calories burned, I go with my HRM.
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go with the HRM. It gets alot more information than "height" and "weight" Neither the xbox, or MFP has your heart rate to truly tell how hard your body is working.

That is why I bit and got my Bodymedia Link, I needed something accurate that took in my heart rate, movement, temperature and so on to give me a better picture. The height and weight of a person, even gender and age are still pretty vague when it comes to health and fitness.
  • kdg0189
    kdg0189 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It did come with a chest strap. I'm not too sure about its accuracy because sometimes I can feel my heart racing but it will say my heart rate is in the 70s or I'll be standing still and it says it's over 200. It doesn't do that all the time but this is my first day using it so I don't have much experience with it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have Your Shape FE 2012 as well and I really think it greatly underestimates calorie burn. I'm not even sure it takes height and weight into consideration.

For example:

I did Wall Breaker - hard mode a couple of times and these are the differences I've seen when I was still over 200lbs:
    (haven't used it recently...the game that is)

1st round - 34 calories (hit almost all the bricks) game vs 60 HRM
    3 min break
    2nd round - 75 calories (barely hit any bricks) game vs 30 HRM
    no break
    3rd round - 45 calories (hit more bricks than round 1) game vs 90 HRM
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    It did come with a chest strap. I'm not too sure about its accuracy because sometimes I can feel my heart racing but it will say my heart rate is in the 70s or I'll be standing still and it says it's over 200. It doesn't do that all the time but this is my first day using it so I don't have much experience with it.

Make sure:

- your bra hasn't found its way under the sensors (I get low readings when this happens)
    - you wet the sensors before each use (I get funky readings if they aren't wet enough)...some youtube reviews suggested electrode gel (I think that's what it called) instead of water
    - check to make sure its centered on your chest. (I get funky readings if it's off center)

Also, make sure you have correctly entered your VO2max. This number plays a big part in calorie readings it gives.

Tips:

To reset Avg Heart Rate and Max HR for each workout-
    -Press the mode button until you see the heart symbol and either 3 dashes or your HR displayed below the clock
    -Press the reset button, this should clear the data of both HR AVG and Max (not the max setting, but the max you hit during your workout)

Make sure you adjust weight and vo2 max as you lose weight. Your vo2 max should change the more you workout.
  • kdg0189
    Options

Make sure:

- your bra hasn't found its way under the sensors (I get low readings when this happens)
    - you wet the sensors before each use (I get funky readings if they aren't wet enough)
    - check to make sure its centered on your chest. (I get funky readings if it's off center)

Also, make sure you have correctly entered your VO2max. This number plays a big part in calorie readings it gives.

This is probably a dumb question but what is VO2max and how can I figure it out?
  • fishhawk1400
    fishhawk1400 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Make sure:

- you wet the sensors before each use (I get funky readings if they aren't wet enough)

This is probably a dumb question but what is VO2max and how can I figure it out?

you cant you need to go to a doctors office or training facility that does it.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

Make sure:

"VO2 max refers to the amount of oxygen your body uses at a given time. Because larger people tend to use more oxygen, VO2 is best understood relatively, in terms of the amount of oxygen your body uses per minute per kilogram of body weight. VO2 is an important statistic for exercise because it tells you how much oxygen your lungs can deliver to your heart and muscles."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/363071-how-to-calculate-vo2-vco2/#ixzz2U8mEJFKx

The most accurate way is to have a doctor test it, but there are ways to get a rough estimate.
  • kdg0189
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help. I am going to try it again later today if not then tomorrow and see how the results are.
  • dirtieebirdiee
    dirtieebirdiee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just got a heart rate monitor, it tells you if you're in the zone or not and how many calories you've burned so it's fine-tuned to your body. It's fantastic!
    It's about $68 but totally worth it
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don't calculate the calories burned. It's a waste of time because it won't be accurate. Most of weight loss is calorie reduction through diet. I stick to my eating plan and any calories burned from exercise is icing on the cake. I also weigh myself a couple of times a week to check on my progress. My scale gives me a body fat percentage estimate.

I did once have a VO2 max test done, which was interesting, but that was years ago. My method works fine.
  • AFitSunnyDay
    AFitSunnyDay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My HRM has a chest strap. I've been using it and I've never seemed to have a problem. I've reported what it says I've lost... but I'm worried something might be wrong with it.

Monday I went on an 8 mile bike ride and burned over 1000 calories. Tuesday I went on a 10 mile bike ride and burned 1500 cal. Yesterday my bike ride was 11 miles and I burned 1600 cal. Today I walked 3mph and walked 3 miles and it says I burned 1060... that can't be right can it?
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you dont want to go to the doctor this website has a good VO2 calculator. It wont be perfect, but I feel like its pretty close.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/vo2max-calculator.aspx
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    They are all estimates to some extent.

Sometimes you have to look at your results. If you're still seeing weight loss results (over time) then keep as you're doing. If it seems to stall for 4-6 weeks, then you may need to reassess and assume a lesser # for burned.