Getting started again

Options
Hi!

I'm new to these forums. I have a few friends on here, but they aren't actively using MyFitnessPal and are using other means to lose weight, so I don't have any active friends on here. I think having a few people who are focused on losing weight would help for motivation.

I had my daughter in 2003, and was 170 prior to having my daughter, but my weight had increased to 230 pounds by 2005, when my daughter was two. I focused and managed to lose 90 pounds and got down to 140 pounds in about a year. However, I changed medications and was taking mood stabilizers and found I started gaining weight back, no matter how few calories I ate, so I finally gave up and started eating sweets again and it was a slippery slope, because I managed to get up to 259 (29 pounds higher than my previous highest weight) over the course of the past five years.

Anyway, I have my medications stabilized and I am really focused on this and I started out last week and so far, I've lost twelve pounds. I'm hoping to get back to 140 again, so I can set a good example for my daughter. My daughter is incredibly healthy and active (dances 24 hours a week) and she is a very healthy eater, so we are focusing on eating healthy together. I love healthy foods (was raised vegan, and love seafood, steamed veggies, etc.), but I have an awful sweet tooth that gets me every time. So, I am focusing on counting my calories, staying active, and only splurging on sweets once a week (Going out for frozen yogurt with my daughter on Sunday evenings by eating fewer calories on other things throughout the day). My daughter is my biggest motivator, because I don't want to get too big to do things with her. We have done ziplining through the rainforest, parasailing, kayaking, lots of active sports, coasters, etc., and I don't want to get too big to do those things, so I need to change this trajectory and no junk food is worth losing out on all the things I want to do!

I'm feeling very motivated and hoping to stay that way and I hope to find similarly motivated friends on here to help motivate each other.

Oh, I live in the Washington, DC, Metro Area with my daughter, who will be ten in August.

Anna

Replies

• cmfontaine31
    cmfontaine31 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am also new to the forums, just recently joining a group: Spring into Summer Challenge. I have a hard time staying motivated on what seems like a daily basis. I may have a great week and then I use that as an excuse to "reward" myself with treats that I probably shouldn't be eating! "I lost a pound, so I have 'room' for it..." Love bread and chocolate and can't even have them in my house because I would eat the entire package in one sitting.

I started with WW about 15+ years ago and managed to keep 25lbs off for many years. Gained some, and lost it again. Over the last 5 years I regained my original 25lbs plus 10. I started using MFP last year but didn't stick with it. I find once I get tired and lazy and bored, I slack with the tracking and start to guess which hasn't proven a sound way to lose weight.

Each day is a challenge, but I have been faithfully logging for many weeks now as well as being active with walks and some yoga. I am feeling a different motivation this time around as I am approaching 40 with only a year to go. Not trying to lose weight for anyone other than myself and along the way trying to accept my weight and body as OK regardless of the number on the scale or the image I see in the mirror.

One thing I loved about WW, was that I was part of a group, but I didn't really participate and gain the full benefits of being motivated by sharing my story, my feelings and struggles with others in an effort to work thru the issues that caused me to overeat and gain weight.

I too feel I need to have some people I can connect with to motivate myself towards my goal of a healthier life!

Good luck!!
    Corie
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    annanujanae thanks for accepting my friend request! I will be on here everyday logging food, exercise, weight, pictures etc, I just wish I had found this site sooner!

I was 165-170 and felt sooooo good at that weight, but due to an illness (Hashimoto's) I went up to 230+lbs in less than a year :sick:

Very determined and motivated to get back down to 170lbs, I'm here for the long haul so if you ever need some support or a chat, I'm here :smile:
  • annanujanae
    Options
    Hope we can keep each other motivated, and not get complacent and keep it off! :)